Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

60ish year old nun seeks first laptop

• 23-02-2009 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,

The aforementioned nun is a primary school teacher in who works with my wife.

The school have just fefitted a computer room, are about to get an mobile interactive white board and she has decided she needs to become computer literate.

Budget: She's been told she can get a laptop for €500 so there or thereabouts would seem to be the budget

Intended use: Word/Powerpoint/Internet/Interactive online education content

Mobility: Not too heavy for a 60ish year old nun to carry around - having said that she is very active.

Warranty: Not sure what is standard here - 1 yr onsite, 3 yr return to base would probably be more than sufficient.

Can you help her find her first laptop?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,278 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Maybe a macbook? arent they supposed to be very noob friendly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,401 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

15" dell inspiron. Good support and decent build quality
    Or maybe a vostro... since they're black

Macbook would be a fair bit more expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Overheal wrote: »
    Maybe a macbook? arent they supposed to be very noob friendly?

Not really on budget and i'm going to guess that the computer room is running windows based machines, so getting a mac wouldn't make too much sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Microsoft office is expensive allow at least €100 for a educational copy unless the school already has licenses for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

A netbook would probably do.

Is there a valid reason for an educational institution to be using expensive MS Office software when Openoffice is free?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I wouldnt agree with the netbook suggestion, a 60 year old doesnt really want to be squinting at a 9" screen or fiddling with a tiny trackpad.

There are several models of Lenovo N500 available for €500 and less. It's a good spec 15" laptop, should be reliable and well made. Definitely one of the best value laptops at the moment spec-for-spec. It won't be 'light' but so long as she's not carrying it around all day it shouldn't be a problem.Dabs.ie have a couple, and some other Irish sellers such as elara.ie might have them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I wouldnt agree with the netbook suggestion, a 60 year old doesnt really want to be squinting at a 9" screen or fiddling with a tiny trackpad.

'Netbook' doesn't need to mean tiny, it's more a reflection of reduced power/functionality. Have a look at the MSI X-Slim X320.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

FruitLover wrote: »
    'Netbook' doesn't need to mean tiny, it's more a reflection of reduced power/functionality. Have a look at the MSI X-Slim X320.

In fairness, the raison d'etre of netbooks was that they were small and cheap, the above isn't a netbook, despite what MSI say, it's as large as a small laptop and just as expensive one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Take it easy, lads - 60 isn't exactly decrepit!

Of course a school should be using Office - it's the suite that will be most essential to the kids in getting work when they leave. I scarcely use it myself, but if you go into any workplace, there it still is.

I'd second the Dell suggestion - or a Toshiba. Personally I'd get a MacBook (a friend recently got a nice secondhand one on adverts.ie) - but again, if she wants to use the same as the kids in the school are using, she's better with a Windows-based machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭랴연

luckat wrote: »
    Of course a school should be using Office - it's the suite that will be most essential to the kids in getting work when they leave. I scarcely use it myself, but if you go into any workplace, there it still is.

Anyone who can learn office can learn OpenOffice. To 90% of users theres absolutely f-all difference.

Whats she possibly going to be doing ? writing VB macros ? :P

I'd suggest a nice cheap Dell with a large-ish screen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement