Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on minor options business studies

Options
  • 23-02-2009 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Can anyone offer any advice on picking a minor option for Business studies 2nd year Majoring in Economics and Finance struggling with the course since it started, in 2nd year now and it isn't any easier, QCA after much effort is 2:1! basically advice needed on an option that will be manageable given that its an effort to keep up with the course as it is!
    any info much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Hi, may I first congratulate you on choosing the Best course at UL:D:D

Your options according to the website are

Business Research Methods and Final Year Project
    Globalisation - An Economic Perspective
    Entrepreneurship
    Environmental Management
    Financial Services
    Human Geography
    Information Management
    Law
    Management
    Organisational Psychology
    Quantitative Analysis for Business
    Sociology
    Technology Awareness
    Tourism.

Your doing Economics and Finance ...... depending on which area you wish to pursue or find easier you can choose one of those options ie.

Globalisation - An Economic Perspective
    Financial Services
    Obviously your not stuck to just these to choices.... though if you want to become an accountant .... you do get extra exemptions from the Chartered Accountants Exams by taking the Financial Services Module.

Now.. the low down on what I've done..

FYP:- I would avoid the FYP like the plague unless you are really interested in a topic and love to do research.

Management:- Its part of my major and is a handy number .. if you like to learn rather than do stuff

Rumours about what I haven't done:-

Entrepreneurship:- Heavy workload but not complicated, nice one to do!

Information Management:- Handy if your computer literate... Financial Maths and Math Science students did this as a module in their 2nd year so it can't be too hard :D:D

Law:- Learning + Yawning..... but if your into it?

Thats all I know appart from copying and pasting course outlines for you!!!

Hope this helps .... hopefully someone else can fill the gaps!:cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ima lurker

thanks DJCR loads of info there, basically need to choose something that will help bring up my QCA, any info on organisational psychology? heard it was easy enough and interesting, at a loss at what to pick and don't want choose something and have to struggle even more, given that I now think that Economics and Finance wasn't the best choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

For QCA purposes ... from what I know ... management and Entrepreneurship are the way to go....

But that is just my opinion ....

Wait for someone else to reply before you make your decision!!:cool::cool::cool:

Good luck with you decision:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Hi Ima (:D),

I originally wanted to do Tourism, but there weren't enough applications to run the module, unfortunately.

I'm now doing Human Geography. I've only had one module of it so far, and it was a bit of a joke. It was 100% assignment, and you basically had to pick one topic that you 'covered' during the semester (such as tourism, environment, Industry, Transport, etc) and write a paper on how economic geography was relevant to the world. It was like something from Secondary School tbh. The lecturer even used material from secondary school books (he was a secondary teacher by day, and thought us at 4/5 in the evening. The module turned into a bit of a joke towards the end as once people had attended the lectures that covered the topic they were going to do for theitr assignment, they stopped coming to the lectures. It is a fairly easy subject to do, however.

My friends do a lot of the other minors, so I'll do my best to give you a snap shot.

Entrepreneurship was meant to be a bit boring (more to do with how it was delivered than the subject itself). It's not as easy to pick up a good grade as you might think, as the assignment (group) was marked relatively hard, and theree wasn't much direction given for the exam.

Law was meant to be a snooze, but not tooo hard. One thing to note is that in the first semester of 3rd year, you'll have two law modules if you choose this option. I think we have another common law module in 4th year too.

Management has a big enough case study project (group).

A lot of the people doing Economics/Accounting chose the Financial Services (or something) module. Think it was tough enough, with a lot of material to cover.

Hope that helps :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

I chose the Entrepreneurship minor option.

It can be repetitive, but it is very hands on.

In 3rd year, we had to interview an entrepreneur and write a paper on that. I think th current students, have to interview 4 of them and write a comparative paper. The exam was fairly straight forward too, with the topics covered very thoroughly.

I also had Entreprise Formation. This had a group assignment, in which we had to do a feasibility study into a project of our choice. It was very engaging, and well worth doing. The only problem was that the course content and exam were very similar to the other entrepreneurship module.

I then proceeded to do Enterprise Development last semester. This was 100%
    course work, with us having to do another group project. This time it was to devise a Business Plan. Again this was very hands on, and provided excellent experience.

I'm currently doing Business Consulting. This is once again 100% course work. We are in yet another group of 5 people, and have to devise methods of improving the Student Enterprise Centre in the KBS building.

The entrepreneurship minor is worth doing imo, and it can be easy to pick up good grades. But you must be willing to work for it. Lecturers reward hard work and effort. Thats what I've noticed anyway.

I dont know enough on the other minors to give an opinion. Hope this was of some help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Accounting and Finance is my major, despite not seeing a Finance module since semester one of third year.

HR is my minor. Industrial Relations in Sem 5 year, HR Development in Sem 7, and HR in the organisational context in Sem 8. Not something you can skip and get an A, but if you put in some work a B is easy (I didn't do a whole lot of work and got a B3...only wrote 1pg for one of the essays of 1 1/2 for the second in the exam last semester)

It's interesting, there's a lot of lecturer interaction during classes and tutorials, but I think easy QCA boosters are becoming harder and harder to come by.

I really should be in that tutorial right now actually:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ima lurker

thank you all for your replies, it helps to get an opinion other than one from the lecturers, as I said I need an option that will bring up my qca given that its not great at the moment average grade C2-3 no matter how much study, scraped into business with 5 points to spare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

Edit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I'm intending on picking the economics and finance makor aswel. Is it really that hard, I haven't much interest in maths/accounting (which im assuming is finance) and only have interest in economics.

Is finance more like things like business maths and accounting?

Also I heard that since im business and german that german has to be my minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

1huge1 wrote: »
    I'm intending on picking the economics and finance makor aswel. Is it really that hard, I haven't much interest in maths/accounting (which im assuming is finance) and only have interest in economics.

Is finance more like things like business maths and accounting?

Also I heard that since im business and german that german has to be my minor.

Yeah, you do your language module instead of the minor...unless you want 7 modules in 3rd year!

Some of my friends do economics and finance. The economics modules are tough enough, good bit of maths in them. But if you're intersted in them, then you'll do the work to get through them. The finance module they had last semester was a continuation of the common finance module we all had in second year, so annuitys, perpetuitys, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement