Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap SAT NAV for USA trip?

• 24-02-2009 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Costs me €140 to hire a SAT Nav in the US for a 14 day holiday.

I think it might be better to buy one rather than hire.

Any tips appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 citroman

Be careful, GPS units bought in the USA will have the USA Basemap.

If I was doing that, I'd buy something like a Garmin Zumo 550. I think it may be possible to change the basemap on it to the European map.

Ask on Zumoforums website.

The Zumo 550 will do either bike or car and will be easier to sell on. It comes with both a bike and car kit. You may be able to pre-sell it for your return.

Citroman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

I picked one up in Circuit City when I arrived over there for approx $120 (which was about €80 at the time). I've used it twice since then and lent it to another mate who was over there. It was one of the cheapest in the shop and was perfect for my needs, I used it in LA, Vegas and throughout southern california, nevada and arizona, the cities are the only places you really need them tbh as the freeways can be a bit scary initially - I think most of them will do the job you require and they can be picked up in any of the multiples such as:
    Best Buy, Circuit City, Radio Shack, Walmart, Target etc and all for circa $100 now.
    The $100 efforts aren't usually compatible with europe, and presumably you'd pay as much for european maps as you would for a cheap european version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Best price I could find for a Garmin Sat Nav that comes pre-loaded with European & USA maps is this 670T for £170 + £14 delivery so probably doesn't qualify as cheap!

Slightly cheaper, you could buy this Garmin 350 for £89 + £10 delivery and also get these US maps on SD card for £49.

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement