Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about a Resit Essay

Options
  • 24-02-2009 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭

Alright lads,

I've to do a resit essay, and when I signed out the sheet with the titles, I noticed it being the exact same list of essays we had to do earlier in the year. Whats to stop me submitting the one I already did (which I got a pass in) and effectivley pass the resit assignment? It doesn't say anywhere that I can't do such a thing?

Would I be reprimanded if it was recognised what I did, despite it not mentioning I can't?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

SRFC90 wrote: »
    Alright lads,

I've to do a resit essay, and when I signed out the sheet with the titles, I noticed it being the exact same list of essays we had to do earlier in the year. Whats to stop me submitting the one I already did (which I got a pass in) and effectivley pass the resit assignment? It doesn't say anywhere that I can't do such a thing?

Yes it does, it's called plagarism. Even if it's your own work it counts. The school might not cop it but if an external examiner does you would be fucooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

it says something about it in the cover sheet of a lot of subjects, that you can't submit work you've already submitted for credit in another class.
    it does say it somewhere,usually in plagerism rules or something. so you would be repremanded. so tempting but not worth the risk imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

If you're submitting it via Blackboard I wouldn't chance it as it's extremely easy to scan documents for possible overlaps/plagiarism

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

This is why schools ask for 2 copies of your essays. They keep one for scenarios like this and give you one back. Dont do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Not the answer I was hoping for! :rolleyes: It ain't submitted by Blackboard however, it's handed into the program office!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Technically it is the same course he's doing though... and he hasn't actually got the credit for his previous work since he didn't pass the course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Dubliner(temp)

Brimmy wrote: »
    Yes it does, it's called plagarism. Even if it's your own work it counts. The school might not cop it but if an external examiner does you would be fucooked.

dammit :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 caz88

i am also doing a load of resit essays which are the exact same titles i was given during the year, i was specifically told not to do any title i had done already. it's more than likely the same for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Red Alert wrote: »
    Technically it is the same course he's doing though... and he hasn't actually got the credit for his previous work since he didn't pass the course?

Technically it doesn't count. It's work that he has submitted and that HAS recieved a grade, regardless of whether or not he passed the overall module.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I wouldn't risk it for a biscuit... It's only 1 essay, bite the bullet and get the head down :)

You could get it done today if you do an all-nighter!

• Advertisement
Advertisement