Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kinnegad...what's it like?

Options
  • 24-02-2009 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I'm half thinking of moving to Kinnegad but know little about it. Is it a nice place or what is it like? Is there much crime at all and what areas would best be avoided.

I know little about the place tbh.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Quiet little village, since the motorway. Not really that much to say. Try and kill two hours in the place without gettin pissed, and you'll find out all you need to know. Good bus service though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 calvin1

Its quiet, REALLY quiet. A lot of pubs and restaurant there have closed down. Theres about 3 pubs there that I've seen, but I've only been there 3 months, maybe there are more.

The people there during the day are grand, very friendly to blow ins / commuters. One large Supervalue supermarket, one video shop, one or two hardware stores.

In the evenings / pubs, well theres a bit of a 'vibe' in some them, but after a bit of initial 'staring at the newcomers', it seems friendly enough, cheap pints too. ;)

Theres not much for the locals kids to do, so at night the older ones go to Mullingar, the younger ones just hang about trying to look cool doing nothing. But surprisingly its not the typical white tracksuit brigade, just honest kids, with nothing to do. Sad really.

I dont think crime is an issue there at all, but again, I've only been there a short time.

Sport wise, theres a GAA club. A karate club ( to be confirmed - I've yet to see it open ), uh... maybe yoga? Like the prevous post said. Very quiet.

I commute to Athlone, it takes me 45 mins door to door, 1 hr at least to Dublin. Its good road if you are driving, but the toll at Enfield you are more or less forced to go through is an unbeliveable rip off at €2.90 each way.

Rent wise, its cheap, and getting cheaper, which is understandable, there a large number of estates there, I guess mostly for commuters. Given the current economic climate these numbers are dwindling a bit.

Mullingar by comparisson is a bustling busy town, if commuting Westwards I'd recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

A nice village. It is torture for teenagers though, no cinema, mall, pool,bowling etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Blademan

Yeah i agree it's not a bad place to spend an afternoon.. I'm originally from Mullingar many many years ago now.. But i always liked the village Kinnegad not bad at all tbh, Not a bad thing to say about it really.. only maybe the motorway took the business side of it away and maybe be nothing in it now only a stop off on the way to Dublin or so :o

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

I have been living in Kinnegad for almost 3 years now. There isn't a cinema or shopping center, but thats the same in every similar sized town in the country.

What I will say about it is this

Very Safe
    Kids are well behaved
    All locals ( in shops, garages ....) are nice
    15 minutes at most from mullingar which has cinema, shopping, swimming pool, gym .....
    Not far from Dublin now with the motorway
    Has a good GAA pitch
    Lots of clubs like karate, fitness, yoga .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Malena72

My friend in her 50's is thinking about buying a house in Kinnegad but she doesn't know this village at all, and she doesn't drivem also her daughter doesn't drive. I wanted to look up here about what its like living in this village, but the posts are like 4 years old. So just wondering what is Kinnegad like since the last posts!! We heard there is a Tesco now. Is there anything for ladies in late 50's, any musicals, plays, retirement group. Also what are the estates like to live in? are there some no-go areas? are some estates more noisy than others? what are neighbours like in the estates, she is so scared of moving to an area she doesn't know! She does know Mullingar but doesn't see any suitable house for sale, they are a little far to walk to town!
    Any feedback for me to pass on to her? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Malena72 wrote: »
    My friend in her 50's is thinking about buying a house in Kinnegad but she doesn't know this village at all, and she doesn't drivem also her daughter doesn't drive. I wanted to look up here about what its like living in this village, but the posts are like 4 years old. So just wondering what is Kinnegad like since the last posts!! We heard there is a Tesco now. Is there anything for ladies in late 50's, any musicals, plays, retirement group. Also what are the estates like to live in? are there some no-go areas? are some estates more noisy than others? what are neighbours like in the estates, she is so scared of moving to an area she doesn't know! She does know Mullingar but doesn't see any suitable house for sale, they are a little far to walk to town!
    Any feedback for me to pass on to her? :)

There is a big difference between Kinnegad and Mullingar. If your friend doesn't have a car, there is alot more to do in Mullingar.

There are some good priced houses right in the center of town. Some are the older style semi-d houses (e.g. Green Road or Fairgreen) but there are newer ones say in either Abbeylands or Ashefield which would be about a 5 miniute walk to town. Close to Tesco and Aldi for example.

Or along the C-Link road (the end closer to the closed army barracks) like Ardleigh/Ardluain. Or there is even a small estate called Rathgowan selling new houses for ~€100,000. About 10 minutes to town.

Mullingar has alot more to offer esp. if your friend doesn't drive. Plus the train/bus service to Dublin is good.

thanks for replying! I know she wouldn't like the older houses and she likes the modern type with ensuite/utility rooms etc. Some of those newer areas you mention she didn't like. Ardilaun would be her preference of those you mention! But some houses she looked at on internet were a little far to walk to town, and some you had to get to other side of roundabouts and she is thinking of when she is older!! She saw a few houses for sale in Kinnegad which are near supermarkets and church and was just wondering whats it like to live there nowadays. she's just afraid of little gangs of teens hanging around estates, or if there are no-go areas?

thanks for replying! I know she wouldn't like the older houses and she likes the modern type with ensuite/utility rooms etc. Some of those newer areas you mention she didn't like. Ardilaun would be her preference of those you mention! But some houses she looked at on internet were a little far to walk to town, and some you had to get to other side of roundabouts and she is thinking of when she is older!! She saw a few houses for sale in Kinnegad which are near supermarkets and church and was just wondering whats it like to live there nowadays. she's just afraid of little gangs of teens hanging around estates, or if there are no-go areas?

My sister and her family live close to Kinnegad - I live in Mullingar myself. So I know both places fairly well.

There is very little to do in Kinnegad - Mullingar is a great town with loads of amenties and things to do. Kinnegad is a quiet village - take away Tesco and there is not much left for your friend.

As Mullingar is an older town alot of the houses within say 5/10 minutes walking of the main street are obviously older.

2 other nice estates are College Hill/Brookside - both near hospital - 10/15 minutes walk to center of town.

Pettiswood Manor is another - on the Old Dublin Road - again 10/15 minute walk.

Closer to town: Prospect, along the Old Dublin Road - 10 minute walk. One of the best addresses in town. Know the builder and these houses are to a high standard. As with all house sales, been on the market for a while so room for a discount. I'd move there myself if I could.

http://www.property.ie/property-for-sale/Prospect-Avenue-Mullingar-Co-Westmeath/672469/

Oh she looked at all those estates and likes them but they are a bit too expensive for her. The Pettitswood area has a hill that she'd have to climb on way home with groceries!!
    Anyway I will pass all your info on to her. And again thanks!!

• Advertisement

Oh she looked at all those estates and likes them but they are a bit too expensive for her. The Pettitswood area has a hill that she'd have to climb on way home with groceries!!
    Anyway I will pass all your info on to her. And again thanks!!

OK, last one and then I am giving up! :)

All this for €70,000.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/rathgowan-mullingar-westmeath/357727

On the C-Link road. 2 minutes away Spar/Takeaway/Butchers.

5 minutes to Tesco which will be redeveloped into the biggest shopping centre in town.

7 minutes to the center of town.

Alright, your friend will have to cross a busy road. I walk that road alot with my dogs - sometimes 3-4 dogs at a time - if you wait there is always a gap. I mean the road is safe enough as it is probably the main road in town used for walking/jogging. The pathway is very wide.

Anyways, Tesco's etc. can deliver if needs be.

That's it now. I made my case. Can do no more!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

There's an old saying:

Ballinasloe is no place to go
    Strokestown is pretty bad
    Naas they say is quite a place
    ....but **** me....Kinnegad

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

garbanzo wrote: »
    There's an old saying:

Yeats? No?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 weefa

There's an old saying:

Ah I love it!!! very funny! I moved to Kinnegad last year, because I have to commute to Dublin and my partner commutes to Athlone so it was a compromise to live half way. It is a very very quiet place! Almost nothing happens from what I can see! but the people are nice and the town is well kept so it could be worse.

Thanks weefa! Anyone know what heathfield estate is like? She is wondering about the semi-d's are the walls like paper!! Is there much noise or loud music? Its just she's so scared of moving to an area she doesn't know. I'd love to get honest feedback for her :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I'm 4 years living in Kinnegad and as soon as the opportunity presents itself, I'm out of here!! With the amount of shops/pubs closed in the last couple of years, there's not a whole lot left. Yes there's a Tesco and in the next year or two a Lidl going in, but that's about it. As for entertainment, not a whole lot except the rows in Scanlon's pub of a weekend night. :rolleyes:

With regard to Heathfield, it's one of the few nicer areas. Don't know what the houses are like inside though. If she's any way nervous about "youngsters" hanging around, she won't be too keen on Kinnegad, but then again, everywhere is like that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 calvin1

No Malena72, unless you want to do your friend a disservice, tell her to stay away from Kinnegad: it is a commuter town, nothing more, and there is a reason for the cheap houses there. Flooding is a risk, if it snows, the place is almost isolated. Without a car, to drive to Mullignar, this tiny village is not really a good choice for someone looking to stay somewhere nice. No offence to the locals but no my advice to your friend would be to bide her time and buy in Mullingar. Also there is no guarantee the Tesco in Kinnegad will weather the recession, and thats all the little village has!

Without a car, Mullingar or Athlone have "something" to offer, but even then Mullingar and Athlone are not really all that interesting - theres a reason the midlands is known as "the dead centre" :)

I hope that helps you.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

Hello Thegoth

For someone of your friends age who wants to move to a new area I would pick Mullingar over Kinnegad.

The reasons for this is that Mullingar is a bigger town. It has a number of organisations that she could get involved to help her make new friends.
    Mullingar also has a tennis club, sports/fitness clubs, a swimming pool, a large library and a cinema not far from town. Mullingar has a Dunnes, Tesco and Aldi and a wide variety of other shops. It also has a bus and train service to Dublin. There is also a townlink bus service which goes from Mullingar to Tullamore a few times a day Monday to Saturday.

As your friend gets older she would have the 1428 active retirement club, a choice of doctors and a good hospital near her.
    Mullingar would offer your friend a better quality of life long term.

Would your friend consider moving to Mullingar and renting a place for 6 months? This would give her time to make new friends and give her some local knowledge of the area before she buys a home. Also her friends could look at places with her and tell her were to look at and where to avoid.
    I live in a rural town so I could tell someone to consider area a but not b.
    A website won't tell that half the house in a estate have not been sold, the area has a lot of renters ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

There's an old saying:

Is that you Barkie? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Thanks weefa! Anyone know what heathfield estate is like? She is wondering about the semi-d's are the walls like paper!! Is there much noise or loud music? Its just she's so scared of moving to an area she doesn't know. I'd love to get honest feedback for her :)

I live in Heathfield, since they where built. These are one of the few estates that are not timber frame. Walls are grand, never hear our neighbours. The part I am in is quite enough, lot of young families, so not any hassle on that front.

• Advertisement
Advertisement