Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Autocad in Linux

• 24-02-2009 12:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭

Hello there, I'm new to the world of Linux and I don't really have a clue about it. I'm an engineering student, who is looking for a way to get Autocad running in Linux mint. Can anyone help.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

tonycombat wrote: »
    Hello there, I'm new to the world of Linux and I don't really have a clue about it. I'm an engineering student, who is looking for a way to get Autocad running in Linux mint. Can anyone help.
    Thanks

It depends on what version; you will have to run it through wine with a bit of tweaking. Be prepared for a bit of work :-)
    I've done it the easy way and installed it in a copy of windows running on Virtual Box. The obvious disadvantages to this is you take a major performance hit and you need a copy of windows!
    The advantage is that it worked straight away (for my small 2D drawings)

Check out these pages to do it the WINE way...
    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=86

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

It depends what you want to do in autocad - is it 2D drawings or 3D.

If you want autocad, running it in Windows inside VirtualBox is probably the easiest.
    Running it on Wine like Kagy said is doable but probably tricky.

If you're only doing 2D drawings you could try Qcad its in the Package Manager
    It will save your drawings as DXF files which can be opened in autocad.

The only downside is you won't learn the autocad commands.

Also the colours may be different when you bring your dxf's into autocad.

Post on here if you have problems when installing it.

Advertisement