Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard Breeze Block dimensions

Options
  • 24-02-2009 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to have to drill a hole through a gable end block, how deep are they? Sooner not have to buy a 8-10" bit if I don't need to!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

"Breeze block" isn't a term that's used much in Ireland, I'm guessing that you mean a hollow concrete block? These are 440mm long, by 215mm high by 215mm thick (say 18"x 9"x 9" nominally. A standard 4" block is 100mm thick, 215mm high and 440mm long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

Hi,

I am interested in this because I will soon be building up a gable on my outside stone building.

Jack of all: you say that in Ireland a 'Breeze block' is a hollow concrete block. 1st of all I always thought a 'Breeze block' was a solid block of a material other than concrete - never knew quite what the material was but the blocks I am familiar with are made of a dense coarse grey material ? If the hollow concrete blocks are not 'Breeze blocks' then what do you call the ones that I am calling 'Breeze blocks'

If I am building up a gable, which will include a door and a window, is it recommended to use the hollow concrete block or the solid blocks (Breeze Blocks) I have mentioned ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I'll be straight with you I never knew what a "breeze block" was, it's not a term used in the Irish building industry. Wiki tells me its a block made with ash or cinders, never seen one myself. Hollow conc. blockwork is fine for concrete gables but it is good practice to use solid blocks cut to size where there are openings which are not a block dimension (ie don't use cut hollow blocks).

Advertisement