Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diet and bowel movements!

• 24-02-2009 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

I have heard it being said that one should empty there bowels twice a day! I don't and I was wondering are there any changes I could make to my diet to assist my bowel movements (i.e certain foods)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

One word, well two actually, All-Bran

Nothing like bran flakes to move things along nicely :D

I've been told you're supposed to go 3 times a day but I think that's a bit much. If you're going around once a day you're probably working fine down there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Mink wrote: »
    One word, well two actually, All-Bran
    I've switched back to All-Bran of late actually and it is very effective at getting things shifted more regularly. I miss my morning eggs though :\
    Mink wrote:
    Nothing like bran flakes to move things along nicely :D
    All-bran and Bran Flakes are quite different - I'd go with the former & its higher fibre content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Eat more veg fruits and wholegrains. Do a little exercise everyday and drink water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

oatbran is good too - it packs 15 or 16g fiber per 100g ... brussel sprouts + cauliflour can do the trick too as can raspberries ...

having said that - id reckon once per day is enough to have some movement .. defo not * 3 per day !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Quoi?

If you're eating normal quantities and not doing a lot of exercise then once a dayu is probably about right - depending on what you're eating.

If however you do a fair bit of exercise/sport and eat extra for this, then twice would seem more normal as you will:
    A. Be processing more food
    B. Be digesting faster due to exercise.

As regards helping things along - using dark grains/breads, fruit, and veg help a little more gently than AllBran etc.

Try 2 or 3 prunes first thing in the morning, at least 15mins before your breakfast. These work wonders for something so simple. Do NOT eat more than 2or3 though, or at least work your way up day-by-day as they really can be quite powerful.

Also, don't mix soft fruits with meals - e.g. oranges/berries/kiwis etc. Shuld be at least an hour before a main meal. The reason is they digest v.fast in comparison to meat and starchy/grain based carbs.
    Apples/Bananas are generally ok, but again should be seperate to meals if possible. All are ok if eating with a yoghurt/seeds/nuts etc.

This book is very good if you want to do it right, and the natural way:
    http://www1.patrickholford.com/content.asp?id_Content=499

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Thanks for all the replies. Thats interesting about when to eat fruit. I didn't know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Weetabix is also very good for this

• Registered Users Posts: 3 minihorse

3 f's - fibre, fluid and fitness. there is huge individual variation and anywhere from 3 times a day to 3 times a week is considered "normal" as long as its not associated with any discomfort i.e. excessive urgency/straining/cramping

Advertisement