Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst plot holes ever...

Options
  • 24-02-2009 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭

Let's go...
    I'm looking for the biggest, stupidest and most glaring plot holes, continuity errors etc from Soaps over the years.

Be it the fact that the Ferreira children in Eastenders all came from different ethnic groups or the fact that Biddy's car changed model mid-air in her death crash...

I'll start off with a personal favourite.

The soap is Eastenders and we're talking a good few years back.
    Janine is living in a grotty bed-sit selling herself to the likes of Ian Beale.
    If you recall, she was very down on her luck and was having trouble paying the rent.
    Now her landlord was a bit of a hard-man, in fact he was so hard that he was the guy that Phil Mitchell used to turn to when he came up against people that he couldn't handle.
    This hard man landlord was also very ruthless.
    Poor Janine was a few days late with her rent so without a seconds thought he turfed her and her stuff out on the street.

Now my question to you is, who exactly was this ruthless, hard-man landlord with a very nasty streak?

Does the name 'Minty' ring any bells?

Yes indeed, this tough East-End face was none other than everyone's favourite hapless goon, Minty.

So just how did this one time property owning, hard-man get reduced to being one half of the most pathetic double act since Eddie and Richie?
    Minty - The guy who's idea of playing nasty is stealing some of Garry's chips off the plate when he's not looking.

I've seen some dodgy soap character transformations in my time but I really thing think that this one takes the biscuit...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

I love hearing these cock ups although i never cop them myself.

Anyone got anymore??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

Well, there's the classic one in which Ian Beale's 21st birthday was only two years after his 18th.

My personal favourite, although it's not strictly speaking a plot hole, was in 'Coronation Street'. It was the episode in which Maya was burning down all of Dev's shops in a single night. After about three of them explode, he realises that Sunita could be in danger and starts speeding across the city to save her/make sure she's ok.

So, it's the middle of the bloody night, his wife is in mortal danger... and we're treated to a shot of Dev sitting in his car tapping on the dashboard and muttering 'Come on!' at a set of traffic lights, waiting for them to change from red.

Nice to see that he's so incredibly conscientious about following the rules of the road.

In corrie the terrace houses all look alike on the outside yet have different spaces inside. Devs shop is tiny in comparison to ken and deirdre's house and its at the corner?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Sort of reminds me of the Slater's house in Walford.
    At one point they had crammed in about 20 family members, that hooker Kelly and Garry Hobbs for good measures.
    I mean FFS how many rooms could it have?
    Must have been like the Bucket house from 'Charlie and The Chocolate Factory'?

Speaking of the Slaters.
    Did nobody find it strange that the well to do couple, the bank manager and the crazy the doctor, wer living on the same street as the Slaters and the Millers?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

A few months back Ray from fair city was slagging everyone off for being Catholics/religious, but the year before he was in confession during a scene in a church where someone confronts a priest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 rocky4

Agreed about Minty! I remember him bein a hard case who smashed up Kate's salon on the orders of acting Mitchell family boss Sam Mitchell (Phil had just been "nicked" and Grant was sunnin himself in Rio).

It's when he started to have feelings for said crime lord that his descent into an unlucky in love (but lovable?) goon transformation began.

I'm all for character transformation and suspension of disbelief but a change like that is insulting to ones intelligence .............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Just watching tonights episode. Some new pottery teacher is introduced. She used to know Phil and Minty 20years ago? Were Minty and Phil friends way back then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Tupins

The new pottery teacher is played by Josie Lawrence who used to appear on Whose Line is it anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭julien69

Any plot in Fair City is laughable really and dont get me going on the acting.That show should be a comedy:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭danh789

one of my favourites is from Eastenders...

A few months ago Archie Mitchell was living in a huge masion (obviously a place only a millionaire could afford) but now he is happy to be crammed into a flat above the Vic spending his days sitting on a stool at the bar!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Lolz, kinda like asking why the successful couple (i.e. the bank manager and the doctor) lived on the same street (square) as the Slaters, the Millers, etc...

You're giving an example of Hero to Zero.
    But what about an example of Zero to Hero?

Classic example would be that Fair City legend, Billy Meehan.
    A drug dealer extraordinaire.
    Who's operation consisted of him sitting in a dodgy old Merc bullying
    a 14 year old into carrying out some two-bit drug deals for him.

Fast forward a month or so and the guy's got a luxury flat, a bar, etc.
    Oh, and a fancy set of Calloway FT Golf clubs (as used by Phil Nicholson). :D
    Not to mention the apartment block that Carol now owns as a result of his massive earnings.
    Where the feck were CAB on this one?

And while I'm ranting, how the hell did Jimmy also end up owning an apartment block?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

I hate it when one day a particular child is a certain age, and the next they have skipped a good 6 or 7 years

Take Victoria in Emmerdale, one minute she's about 6 with a load of red hair, the next she's about 14 with long black hair.

Same thing happened in coronation st with sally's 2 kids a few years ago as far as I remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

genie_us wrote: »
    I hate it when one day a particular child is a certain age, and the next they have skipped a good 6 or 7 years

Take Victoria in Emmerdale, one minute she's about 6 with a load of red hair, the next she's about 14 with long black hair.

Same thing happened in coronation st with sally's 2 kids a few years ago as far as I remember

Yeah they spend about 10 years aged 6 and 8, spending all their time coloring and being told by Sally to wash their hands, and next thing you know they have a 32c cup bra each and are having affairs with their teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭MsMolly

not so much plot holes but inconsistencies bother me. people who have reason and prior history of major conflict, suddenly being bezzie mates. case in point, leanne and carla......................don't know about you but when my husand was killed while with his prostitute i wasnt too keen about having her as my bridesmaid a few months later. also janice and the factory girls..............in my experience women don't forgive and forget like men do, why would they even speak to her after all that happened with the money. the only one i feel is genuine is the gail / eileen feud, i like the way that simmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Fair City - why do siblings all have accents from different parts of the county eg Dermott & Ken, Una & Turlough, Leo's 2 kids etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

tk123 wrote: »
    Fair City - why do siblings all have accents from different parts of the county eg Dermott & Ken, Una & Turlough, Leo's 2 kids etc

The Turlough and Una accents really annoyed me. Her with her thick Dublin accent and him with a clear country accent.

orla wrote: »
    The Turlough and Una accents really annoyed me. Her with her thick Dublin accent and him with a clear country accent.

Aye sure David Platt is a fine example of that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

This isn`t a continuity error at all, it was just a really stupid line.

But a while ago now, they brought Grant Mitchell back into Eastenders to do away with Johnny Allen. Anyway, Phil and Grant climb out of the back of a car, just as Peggy is about to be throttled by some henchman of Allen`s, and casually say "Hello mum".
    Cut to another scene with the henchman and Johnny Allen talking in the Office of the Scarlet Bar. Johnny asks the thug if Peggy knew who Grant and Phil were. The henchman replies that he has no idea. Did the words "hello Mum" not give it away?

Another inconsistency - just a couple of days ago when Tony was doing the whole "I'll take care of you until the baby comes Maria" and he was asking her was she ready for the birth. Did she have food in the fridge etc? She told him that she had a fridge full of food.

Then last night he was pointing out the fact that all she had in the fridge were 3 eggs and a face mask and she said "oh I haven't been shopping in so long".

Not exactly a glaring plot hole - but annoying none the less. You'd think that even if the writers forgot some of the dialogue already aired that the actors themselves would realise it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Kevin Webster had a sister (I think he married her in real life) - I don't think Bill or Kevin has ever visited or been visited by her.

Kevin Webster has never visited the grave of Alison and their child - or has Jack gone to Vera's grave..

Where does Bill Webster, Aunty Pam and Tina live exactly?

Also the biggest thing I think is Sean has never shown an interest in the child he fathered with Violet - he's never mentioned it.

Ken never mentions Daniel (his son with Denise) or even visits him.

Also what happened to Josh's real father (I can't remember was that Ashley or the other doctors) But if it was the Doctors how come Josh never gets visits from him.

Finally when Alma was dying Audrey promised to rename the salon "Alma's" in memory of her friend that never happened.

• Advertisement

Hope this is right - in last night's Corrie - Kevin handed Molly the chocolates at the counter - then rushed her into the back for a snog, then left the shop without paying....!!!

deelite wrote: »
    Hope this is right - in last night's Corrie - Kevin handed Molly the chocolates at the counter - then rushed her into the back for a snog, then left the shop without paying....!!!

So basically he gave her a box of chocolates STOLEN from the very shop she works in - and they say romance is dead :rolleyes:

Another think in Corrie - Ashley let Kirk go as he had no work for him but promised to take him back when things got better. Kirk was out of work for a while - but during this time Ashley employed Grahame!!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Some of these are class. :)
    Weddings and funerals are always the best for missing family members. Remember in Corrie where Maria's parents couldn't come to her wedding because they were on holiday!? And in most soap funerals, their mother/father/siblings can't make it because they can't get a flight/have to work etc. It's the same if someone in a soap's in a terrible accident, someone will say "I've phoned [insert name here] to tell them what's happened" but they never seem to materialise. Nice family loyalties. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Posy wrote: »
    Some of these are class. :)
    Weddings and funerals are always the best for missing family members. Remember in Corrie where Maria's parents couldn't come to her wedding because they were on holiday!? And in most soap funerals, their mother/father/siblings can't make it because they can't get a flight/have to work etc. It's the same if someone in a soap's in a terrible accident, someone will say "I've phoned [insert name here] to tell them what's happened" but they never seem to materialise. Nice family loyalties. :rolleyes:

That wrecks my head as well!! :D ARGGGH!!

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

That wrecks my head as well!! :D ARGGGH!!

I suppose Steve and Becky's second wedding will be the usual farce. I just hope she gets wiped out so we don't have to suffer her eating Steve's face off in the bar of the Rovers all the time. Nauseating. No wonder all the pints in the bar are flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

deelite wrote: »
    Kevin Webster had a sister (I think he married her in real life) - I don't think Bill or Kevin has ever visited or been visited by her.

Kevin Webster has never visited the grave of Alison and their child - or has Jack gone to Vera's grave..

Where does Bill Webster, Aunty Pam and Tina live exactly?

Also the biggest thing I think is Sean has never shown an interest in the child he fathered with Violet - he's never mentioned it.

Ken never mentions Daniel (his son with Denise) or even visits him.

Also what happened to Josh's real father (I can't remember was that Ashley or the other doctors) But if it was the Doctors how come Josh never gets visits from him.

Finally when Alma was dying Audrey promised to rename the salon "Alma's" in memory of her friend that never happened.

these things are examples of the "goldfish memory" in soaps which really annoys me.

Once a storyline is over its like it never happened..enemies now friends, missing/dead people never mentioned...

..and how many people can one person lose to death either accident or murder? its incredible, the crime and death rates are astronomical...why would anyone move to these places

they also all seem to have great integration of classes, wealth etc on one small area

plus they can all work in the immediate area, noone commuting for hours!! Corrie has a fecking factory on the street!!

Riskymove wrote: »

plus they can all work in the immediate area, noone commuting for hours!! Corrie has a fecking factory on the street!!

That is when they actually work - they always seem to be around and meeting people during the day.

The other day Archie in Eastenders announced that he's having a house warming party on Friday at lunchtime (or was it thurs?). In fairness, who has a house warming party at lunchtime :confused:

Guaranteed there'll be loads of people there though - what work???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Oliverdog wrote: »
    I suppose Steve and Becky's second wedding will be the usual farce.

Both Andy and Jim will be there so they will! :)

• Advertisement

Tupins wrote: »
    That is when they actually work - they always seem to be around and meeting people during the day.

The other day Archie in Eastenders announced that he's having a house warming party on Friday at lunchtime (or was it thurs?). In fairness, who has a house warming party at lunchtime :confused:

Guaranteed there'll be loads of people there though - what work???

Yeah no one seems to have to work and the ones that do are always in the pub at lunchtime.......what employer would let that?!!

Advertisement