Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going over 30GB Cap (BT)

Options
  • 24-02-2009 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

Guys, I'm pretty much on my 30gb limit for febuary, and understand that BT throttle speeds when you go over. Is this an automatic thing, or do they tend to give some leeway ?

Also, when they do throttle speeds, what kind of speed reduction can you expect ?. I'm on 3mb connection.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

From experience with other ISPs you usually get throttled to dial up speed (i.e. you can surf pages but they take time to load) and also remember that it is a rolling cap (i.e. the last 30 days, not per month) so don't go wild downloading 1st of March thinking you've reset your cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

what package are you on?

i had the 7.6mbps bitstream product with BT and they didn't start throttling me until I passed 100gb downloaded in a rolling 30 day period.

unless they've changd things in the new year, it'll be the same and as it's a 30 day rolling period not a calendar month, in the event you do get throttled, easing off for a day should put you back in the clear again.

generally, if i kept it under 3gb per day it was grand anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I'm throttled right now on BT, 3mb line. Seemingly they're a bit more miffed about huge downloads in one or two days, rather than going over the monthly limit so if you haven't had a few days of very high usage you may be ok.

Throttled speeds are pretty much on par with dialup/ISDN. Can't really download anything but can browse easily enough.

what does your stats page say you've downloaded this month?

if you're averaging 3gb a day and you've been sustaining that for a while and then go over that by a significant amount it could easily breach the 100gb FUP. remember, it's a rolling 30 day period that they throttle on, not month by month.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ajc100

When you say "throttle", do you slow you speed or knock it off altogether?

I went over my limit in mid Jan but didn't know, only found out when i phoned to complain about my connection intermittently going down. guy on the phone was ok about it, just said no one will do anything for you about connection whilst your over your limit.

Dont have the problem now so am assuming it was an automatic thing, as it only cut out when i was downloading a file.

How do you find out your stats?

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    what does your stats page say you've downloaded this month?

if you're averaging 3gb a day and you've been sustaining that for a while and then go over that by a significant amount it could easily breach the 100gb FUP. remember, it's a rolling 30 day period that they throttle on, not month by month.
    It's significantly over the monthly limit, but the tech support guy I rang mentioned that it was the fact that I had downloaded a lot per day over a few days that resulted in the throttle.
    I've switched to the unlimited package as a result of the limit, but the tech guy also mentioned that the FUP also works moreso on daily limits. He gave me "from the air" figures of 5-6gb per day being reasonable usage, which could lead to exceeding the 100gb "limit". I don't really know what to believe now, since the sales person also mentioned a 100gb fair use limit, while tech support absolutely denied that.

The throttle is a slowing of the internet, as said above it still works but not very fast. You can find out your stats here

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

awesome, just checked my stats and iv downloaded 0 for february.... something wrong with that me thinks,

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭jayflame

Hi,

BT customers can go here

http://broadband.iol.ie/usage/

Enter your BB username & password.

I'm told there is an issue with usage checker at present, it doesn't display the last 30 days usage, only the months, therefore, if you check your usage on the 2nd of the month, it will only display for that month.
    PAIN!

As for being throttled. Have not found anything in T's & C's to advise amounts, nothing in their hidden "Fair Use Policy".
    The fact that it is "UNLIMITED Subject to fair usage***", is not really clear on what you can use.
    How the ****** are we suppose to work with that??

They can't tell us what we can use, nor can they tell what we have used??

Work it out!:confused:

jayflame wrote: »
    Hi,

BT customers can go here

http://broadband.iol.ie/usage/

Enter your BB username & password.

I'm told there is an issue with usage checker at present, it doesn't display the last 30 days usage, only the months, therefore, if you check your usage on the 2nd of the month, it will only display for that month.
    PAIN!

As for being throttled. Have not found anything in T's & C's to advise amounts, nothing in their hidden "Fair Use Policy".
    The fact that it is "UNLIMITED Subject to fair usage***", is not really clear on what you can use.
    How the ****** are we suppose to work with that??

They can't tell us what we can use, nor can they tell what we have used??

Work it out!:confused:
    As I said above, I was quoted 100GB per month by the sales team, and 5/6GB per day by tech support as "fair use"

it's (the FUP) supposed to be 100gb per rolling 30 day period so 3.3gb per day avaerage will hit that limit over 30 days.

BUT the joy of it being a FUP and not a CAP is they can make it anything they want it to be at any time and there's not a thing you can do about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement