Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blood Donation - food to eat before you donate

Options
  • 24-02-2009 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

First thread here so I hope I've not accidentally overstepped any rules.

I gave blood for the first time in January this year, being vegetarian I was a little worried that they check your Iron levels before you give (yes I know a bit of cliche)

However, the pin prick test came back well over the required number to donate.

Now the Nurse said that in future I should have something to eat at least an hour before I give again.

First up are there many on here who donate? and second of all I am looking for advice on what foods I should eat, starting 48 hours in advance of giving.

So I was thinking a salad with pumpkin seeds some walnuts (which I always think goes well with some beetroot - but that is a side issue) of course I love Hummus so that is a always a positive :D

Anyway if we work off the basis that there will be two lunches, two dinners and two breakfasts in the 48 before I donate (not necessarily in that order) - what would you recommend?

Comments

I don't think you have to put that much thought and effort into it tbh.
    I just make sure I have eaten dinner. I only get queasy if things go wrong, which happens a bit because I have natural lower blood pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

I think that maybe take a banana with you and have it after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

Fair play for donating blood - I'd love to but am excluded for two reasons:
    1. I lived in the UK for a while, and due to BSE that apparently excludes you. Never mind that I was veggie at the time

2. I had jaundice when I was a baby - apparently any form of hepititis excludes you.

although TBH the last time I looked into donating was about 4 yrs ago, so maybe its changed, but with the hepatitis scandal I doubt it.

When I was in UK my havnig jaundice didn't matter as it was over 10 yrs ago and not a dangerous type. When I was there I gave blood regularly, and the whole 'iron' thing is also a fallacy, cos I ALWAYS have low iron - not due to being veggie but because of a genetic disorder which means I am unable to absorb iron through my food. And still they were happy to take my blood - low iron or not! I suppose if you are in an emergency and need blood, the iron levels aren't a big consideration - once you get blood in your system thats the main thing - being anaemic is the least of your worries and a iron injection can sort that easily enough

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

Only donated for the first time myself last week.
    My iron levels were fine, wasn't sure if they would be or not but the supplements I take obviously work!:p
    In regards to what to eat before you donate I just made sure I had a filling dinner before I went-plenty of potato and veg:pac:

2. I had jaundice when I was a baby - apparently any form of hepititis excludes you.

Jaundice as a baby doesnt exclude you here. I had that.

• Advertisement

well the last time I volunteered to dontate this was specifically given as one of the reasons I was excluded. That and the UK thing. They told me that hepatitis excludes you. and that was here in Dublin. unless its changed since I last offered - which may well be the case.

well the last time I volunteered to dontate this was specifically given as one of the reasons I was excluded. That and the UK thing. They told me that hepatitis excludes you. and that was here in Dublin. unless its changed since I last offered - which may well be the case.

The probably just didnt bother to ask about it in furthur detail, as you were already excluded on the basis of living in the UK.
    I've been donating for years and years.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    The probably just didnt bother to ask about it in furthur detail,

no they did ask quite a lot about it, asked me if I knew what type of hep I had (which in my ignorance I didn't know, just knew it was jaundice!) It was on that basis that the nurse said I couldn't donate - said any form of hep excludes you. it was after that, that she actually read through the rest of the form and noticed that I had lived in the UK, so she said that was another reason. She did say that in relation to the UK thing, that as it was for only 10 mths, they may still take me as a donor, but I would have to have additional screening or something. Don't remember exactly now, just know I was excluded for those two reasons.

Did she ask when you had it though? If she did that is odd.
    I'm a complete wuss and started chickening out while waiting for the first time, being ruled out on that basis was a lifeline for 15 minutes.
    I remember well what it felt like when it was snatched away! :D

yeah - they knew it was way back when I was a ickle bitty baby!

• Advertisement
Advertisement