Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot2def and Léan - You're in the well!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Sweenox

hot2def: Do you get many people coming to the studio asking you for an apprenticeship?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

hot2def wrote: »
    i have a problem doing those areas full stop. I would prefer to impose a blanket ban on doing them myself altogether, rather that get involved in any grey areas pressure to make exceptions for friends or customers who see themselves as "in the know". Like I said, I might make exceptions for sides of the neck, if the area is already tattooed. Maybe.

Why is that though? For instance many Maori elders get a moko done on their face for cultural reasons etc; likewise I've met a few tattooists which would have no problems doing hands or neck (provided the customer isn't very young)
    And no, I have no problem touching up other tattooists work. why would I?

I've no idea, but I've had one tattooist tell me he doesn't like working on any other artists tattoo for whatever reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

FTA69 wrote: »

Why is that though? For instance many Maori elders get a moko done on their face for cultural reasons etc; likewise I've met a few tattooists which would have no problems doing hands or neck (provided the customer isn't very young)

I've no idea, but I've had one tattooist tell me he doesn't like working on any other artists tattoo for whatever reason.

Well, AFAIK, a hefty chunk of the brain is dedicated to recognising and reading faces, and we don't really understand how it works. Its a whole different thing to tattooing anywhere else - even tattooed people will never see you the same. I believe it will hamper ones ability to relate to other human beings. I respect other people's right to do what they want with their skin - but I do not want to be involved.

Perhaps if I were working in another place/time with a different client base, I might be swayed on the hands issue, but it hasn't happened to date.

And to compare afluent western urbanite's facial tattoos to Maori traditional tattoos is pointless, they are lightyears apart.

I have heard of tattooist refusing to work on other people's work, but I have no issue with it. the skin belongs to the customer, not the tattooist.

Sweenox wrote: »
    hot2def: Do you get many people coming to the studio asking you for an apprenticeship?

No, I don't get asked. Most customers assume I am the receptionist, probably because of my gender and stature.

A handful of particularly tactless customers have asked me am I dating the owner (in a few different shops I might add), or whether I am old enough to be tattooing :rolleyes:

A friend asked me to apprentice him. I refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

@Hot2def: Have you or would you ever refuse to do a certain tattoo because it has your name and reputation attatched to it? For example if a customer wanted something stupid, silly, offensive, obscene etc. would you refuse to do it simply because you will be associated with that Tattoo?

• Advertisement

Kersmash wrote: »
    @Hot2def: Have you or would you ever refuse to do a certain tattoo because it has your name and reputation attatched to it? For example if a customer wanted something stupid, silly, offensive, obscene etc. would you refuse to do it simply because you will be associated with that Tattoo?

I was once forced by circumstance to do a design i thought was a bad idea (and no, I won't say what it was). I will never let it happen again, I should have walked out.

I will not do racist or violently political. I try not to get too snobbish about things being silly or stupid - thats a matter of opinion usually. I think the blink182 logo is a stupid tattoo - but I have a portrait of David Gilmour from Pink Floyd so.....

but as a rule, if I amn't comfortable with something, i amn't doing it. end of. I have to live with it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hot2def: this is a general question, not aimed at you, but I'd prefer to get an answer from yourself rather than a random boardsie.

If I have a tattoo in mind, should I get it done now, or wait until my arm is built a bit (muscle wise)? Do tattoos on the elbow stretch well, or not? I'd be putting two specific types of wing side by side, if that makes a difference.

I don't think anything will really change about your elbow if you bulk up - that will realy be above and below the joint.

the elbow proper is not a great spot for heavy coverage - it'll get patchy very easily. Depends on placement.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

What about the opposite, skin shrinking? I've a tattoo I'd love to get across my lower back, but I plan on losing a good bit of weight for my wedding, so would I be better off waiting til the weight is gone in case it looks all weird?

you'd want to be losing a phenomenal amount of weight for that to become an issue, i think. i have never seen an example of a tattoo distorted by weight loss myself. I think you have to lose so much wieght (and, for that matter, have that much weight to lose at all...) that you had visible excess hanging flesh (gross, but you know what I mean...).

My own weight has yoyoed 4 stone since first getting tattooed, without any visible effect on my own tattoos. if you are worried, avoid the lower stomach, you'll be grand.

edit, that first tattoo i got was on my lower back, as it happens

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Sweet thanks hot2def!! I am currently out of 'thanks' for the day, but as soon as I get more, there's one on it's way to you :D

edit: there we go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

okie doke... hmm other questions

hot2def - how do you see the industry evolving? The tattoo gun (from what I know) hasn't really changed since it's original design way back when, there is a new design out, some electrical one. Think it will last?

Kanji, tribal, stars - what's the next big tattooing fad?

Léan - next big piercing development? skin divers? microdermals?

Will wrote: »
    okie doke... hmm other questions

hot2def - how do you see the industry evolving? The tattoo gun (from what I know) hasn't really changed since it's original design way back when, there is a new design out, some electrical one. Think it will last?

Kanji, tribal, stars - what's the next big tattooing fad?

While the design of tatoo machines hasn't changed a lot, the quality of the parts has skyrocketed since they were originally invented. This means a much greater level of adjustment and fine tuning is possible.
    I assume you are refering to those little pneumatic machines. I personally don't like them, I find them way too light. Their website and ads boast that there is no maintainence or adjusting required. I can't see how a tattoo machine you cannot adjust you the was you work can be a good thing...

but thats just me.

I hope the next big thing here is american neo traditional, its a big thing over the water, and its lovely. knowing my luck though, it'll be that hideous abstract stuff they like in france. ack

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Hot2def: What would you say would be the styles that you are not so good at, and how do you strive to improve in those areas? Do you ever get frustrated with designs/design requests that people come to you with?

Léan: Are there any piercings that you particularly hate doing, or refuse to do, and if so, what are the reasons? Do you ever have to deal with customers with an attitude because you refuse to pierce them?

Hot2def : whats the piece you've most loved so far done by yourself and done by another?
    by myself atm
    upload-1.jpg

by someone else, something by Kore Flatmo, I couldn't find a great deal online.
    9861516_500.jpg
    dancor wrote: »
    hot2def: Do you have a website or SN site with some of your work?
    I would love to see it :)

I got the go-ahead (cheers will)

l_9cc1b982a4e9481f925c661f75c1f087.jpg

l_bfce9b64cc3216a82f2a155bbaa29cf2.jpg

al3.jpg

Hot2def: What would you say would be the styles that you are not so good at, and how do you strive to improve in those areas? Do you ever get frustrated with designs/design requests that people come to you with?

I have never done a portrait. I have no trouble drawing them, but I don't feel its time yet. I have seen a lot of appalling portraits. I do draw them a fair bit thugh, I'll know when it's time.

When I don't feel up to something, I recommend an artist to the customer, there's no shame in that.

I get frustrated all the time, either because I feel the customer isn't making the best use of the space, or because I can't quite capture what they are imagining in the design

hot2def -Are you a talker when you tattoo or are you all out quiet and concentrating 100% on the job at hand?

lean and hot2def - how do you deal with people who are nervous? I suppose bedside manner comes with time and it develops. Any horror stories?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I assume you are refering to those little pneumatic machines. I personally don't like them, I find them way too light. Their website and ads boast that there is no maintainence or adjusting required. I can't see how a tattoo machine you cannot adjust you the was you work can be a good thing...

but thats just me.

I hope the next big thing here is american neo traditional, its a big thing over the water, and its lovely. knowing my luck though, it'll be that hideous abstract stuff they like in france. ack

You ever try out the "neotat" machines?You know the linear ones that are supposedly fully clavable?

And yeah that American Neo-tat stuff is amazing.
    That hideous abstract stuff your talking about wouldnt be by the likes of Waldi and Osa?I actually like it but a lot of people who Ive shown it to hate it.Suppose what I like about it is that theyre trying something new and different.

hot2def -Are you a talker when you tattoo or are you all out quiet and concentrating 100% on the job at hand?

lean and hot2def - how do you deal with people who are nervous? I suppose bedside manner comes with time and it develops. Any horror stories?

I will not shut up. I am sort of like that anyway. I'll shut up if I get the impression that the customer is one of those "in the zone" people that doesn't speak at all while being tattooed - I'm like that myself when I get tattooed.

Everyone I tattoo is told that if they need to stop, at any point, all they have to do is tell me. Other that that, all I can do is try to engage people is fairly involved conversation to distract them, it usually works. I've had a off-beat sort of life, I have stories that can distract anyone.

I do have horror stories, but I couldn't repeat them. the customer is always mortified if they aren't well while being tattooed.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

Lean and Hot2def- Where do you see yourself professionally in 5-10 years? Do you have any professional goals to achieve in that time frame? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nools

pardon my ignorence but can any1 give an example of the america neo type stuff!ive no idea what it is!

Nools wrote: »
    pardon my ignorence but can any1 give an example of the america neo type stuff!ive no idea what it is!

tatz3.jpg

@ missannik: in Canada :)
    No, all joking aside, I want to travel. I want to see as many tattooists work as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Leon,

Can you tell me a bit about lobe-stretching? Like for instance how its done, aftercare, the history of the practice etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Just try and talk them through it and explain what everything is for, what i'l be doing etc.. Anything to put their mind at rest really.

Yeah :O
    Got a fright one day, this guy came in to get his tragus pierced i think (can't really remember). He hadn't eaten all day, eyes started rolling back in his head, tongue out the side of his mouth and he went dead pale :O. Was fairly freaky tbh. Gave him lucozade tablets and he was grand though :)

Another day when i wasn't in the shop the same thing happened to someone except they started getting sick all over the front of the shop and onto the street :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

missannik wrote: »
    Lean and Hot2def- Where do you see yourself professionally in 5-10 years? Do you have any professional goals to achieve in that time frame? :)

Well, I really don't know tbh.

I'd love (LOVE) to make a living as a professional piercer, but it's just not viable, especially not in Cork anyway. So right now it's really hard to know where i'll be in a few years.

If i was ever in a position where i could afford to open a proper piercing studio i'd do it in a flash. Who knows, might win the lotto :pac:.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Leon,

Can you tell me a bit about lobe-stretching? Like for instance how its done, aftercare, the history of the practice etc?
    Hey :D
    First of all are you stretching your own or just thinking about it? I'd advise anyone who want to stretch their ears to put serious thought into it first.

The history of the practice, well i could be here a while, and i'm no expert so Google is your friend as regards to that.

There's a few different ways to stretch your ears, you could start by wrapping PTFE tape around the jewellery and very very gradually adding ore every few months. It's a long process but the best one IMO. You just have to be very patient.

There's another alternative - dead stretching whereby you just move of another jewellery size bit by bit, e.g. 1mm - 1.2mm - 1.6mm - 2mm etc..
    You can also get your ears tapered/scalpalled/dermal punched up to different sizes aslo.

There are loads of options for stretching, i don't think i've even listed all of them there. For more detailed information you're better off looking here :

Stretching info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

I hope the next big thing here is american neo traditional

Me too but I highly doubt it, I can see a huge market for generic tribal for the foreseeable future unfortunately.

For hot2def, how do you see the state of the current tattoo scene in Ireland in terms of originality, quality and in comparison to the rest of Europe/the World.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

First time poster here but just posting to show appreaciation for a good read, some great questions and great answers too, thanks!

Hot2def - what is your own preferred method of healing a tattoo? lots of different methods, some swear by bepanthen others don't...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

*kicks tumbleweed*

Léan, do you use blades or cannula needles?

• Advertisement
Advertisement