Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real scopes and airsoft??

• 24-02-2009 4:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭

I know this is a MAD time in the morning to be posting but I can't sleep.
    What would the legality of putting a Schmidt and Bender scope on an airsoft gun be? I'm kind of confused with the law regarding this because of it's wording. Not only that but I have a rifle with a scope on it but I dunno if there's any difference in using one meant for airsoft or one meant for an actual firearm. I want to build a custom rifle and hence want to put quality sights on it for realism's sake.

Any one out there got any idead as to the legality of me putting one of these (more expensive than my computer) scopes on an airsoft replica?

http://www.schmidtbender.com/scopes_variable.shtml
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

To the best of my knowledge there shouldn't be any problem.If it was a night vision scope that would be a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Are you MAADDD!!!! (Or very Rich)

Putting a Schmidt and Bender on something that could be receiving impacts
    from Plastic BB's would be just a sin! :eek:

An el-cheapo Tasco or Hawk scope would be better than
    any Replica scope for airsoft and save you some cash.

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

you can, but again i will repeat what bullets said, putting a Schmidt and Bender on an aeg or any airsoft device is rather mad :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

A schmidt & Bender would be overkill all right for two reasons.

1) If you are just plinking there isnt a chance in hell that an airsoft will keep up with the precision of your scope. Every round will be off ever so slightly even in the best conditions making such a nice piece and extremely expensive luxury.

2) If you are skirmishing you will be subjecting the lenses and body to all manner of crap, crud and cretins. there is every possibility (no matter how clever a sniper you are or how concealed your position) of being spotted and ending up on the receiving end of a support gunners lead finger. Two or three strikes to the front lens will marr it's surface potentially ruining the scope for any real-steel shooting there after.

There is a third (and potentially more important reason). NakedDex will have a fit if he has been out gucci'd by someone ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Hahaha. Hive, even I have limits! Just the same as I wouldn't bring a Lambo to a WRC track, I wouldn't rock a S&B scope to a skirmish. I have a nice real steel Bushnell 8-32x50 I use on one of my rifles which set me back about €150 but that's as much as I'm willing to risk. Besides, you have to remember, you're firing a low energy smoothbore. You're not going to have accuracy enough to warrant such a scope. If it couldn't hit a barn door at 20 yards, a beautifully crafted, hand made scope with the worlds best lenses won't bring your rounds closer to the target anymore than a fifty quid Leapers 3-9x40 would.
    Your scope is limited by your rifle, not your rifle by your scope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭An Mac Tíre

I'm not rich but at that time in the morning it appears that I am bats*** insane alright :P. Nah I amn't planning a brand new s&b on a skirmishing toy. If I could get myself a second hand one with a banged up finish (which I would still be saving quite a bit for) I'd be putting it on a custom made WA 2000. That gun wouldn't leave my house apart from getting it chrono'd or selling it! I've been dying to try out my dad's homemade CNC and his mini mill for a while now, because it's been out of order since I last ran a program on it (something to do with dust:confused:).

Anyway, it's handy to know I can put real steel scopes on them. If I ever give up the dream of the 2.5-10x56 S&B on top of my replica to finish the authentic look, I'll just buy one of my uncle's old scopes. I hear he has a nice new one recently and I wouldn't want a functioning piece of glass to go to waste! Thanks for confirming my mental state lads!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

It is a sin against all things good to put a real S&B on an airsoft! 90% of people cant tell the diference between the differnat bands anyway. Are there no replicas on Ebay? I know there are loads of Leupold replicas around. Even a 2nd hand S&B should be very expensive. Good scopes don't lose that much value.

Advertisement