Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rashers/Back Bacon?

• 24-02-2009 5:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,669 ✭✭✭✭

Irish Rashers right - how are they cured/treated. I've seen the cut here, but it was cured in sugar, and tasted foul. I'd like to find a butcher and tell him to prepare it in X way so I could actually get my rasher fix, but I dont know what to tell them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Most irish bacon is pumped full of phosphates to hold the water which means it shrivels up on the pan.

There are a few suppliers of good bacon but they are hard to find. Where are you based?

The artisan producers usually take care with the cure (eg dry cure) and don't add phosphates. There are a couple of free range suppliers in cork, 1 in Enniskillen - maybe ask your local butcher if he can source some for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The OP is in South Carolina based on his profile.

Overheal, I feel your pain. I can't get Irish cured type rashers here at all. I can't get the cuts either. Streaky bacon, hickory smoked bacon, or decent sausages. :( There is a butcher in Victoria that does them, but he's a two hour drive away! Do I love bacon enough to do a four hour round trip with an esky and some ice packs in the boot? Maybe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Where are you based?

South Carolina it seems.
    You want it to be dry cured with salt instead of sugar. I'm sure there's more than just salt in the curing mix, and a wuick google might give you a recipe. Some on-line places sell pre-mixed curing salts. Maybe some home-curinf could be an option.

Advertisement