Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Question

Options
  • 24-02-2009 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hello Everyone,

If anyone out there knows anything about the following, I'd really appreciate a reply.

Ok, I'm in the middle of applying for a mortgage, and my dad had agreed to gift me some cash towards it.
    However, my Dads assets are in 5/7 year accounts. Only realised this recently
    He is willing to put a lien on 1 of these to help me, but the mortgage lady didn't seem to know if this was possible, which I thought was very strange
    Has anyone had experience of this??, or any bank people out there that knows if this can be done?
    I hope I've explained this correctly

Thanks in advance for your time

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its two seperate transactions.
    Your father will not be able to put a lien on his 5/7 year account towards gifting you a sum of money towards your mortgage. He can however take out a personal or a term loan- possibly interest only, with a due date of when sufficient of the 5/7 year accounts mature to clear the loan and any accumulated interest and charges- and use the current principle in the accounts as collatoral towards the loan. He would then gift you the proceeds of the loan- as a wholly seperate transaction.

Its not straight forward- and in the current climate- its entirely possible that his financial institution may refuse to play ball.

A more elegant solution may be to remortgage his PPR and gift you the equity released- with an understanding that the term associated with the equity release be cross referenced with the 5/7 year investment accounts.

The problem is your fathers assets are illiquid, and the banks and lending institutions are far less inclined to extend credit these days than they once were.

Advertisement