Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Energy light bulbs not working

• 24-02-2009 9:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I purchased a few energy saving down lights (MR16 12V 50W) for my hall to replace the existing ones, but when I switch them on they just flicker for a while and then cut out.
    Anybody know the reason for this?

PS There is no dimmer switch on them

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Did the original ones fail? Is the transformer knackered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

No and when I put the originals back in all is okay.

Funny one really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

check if your new stuff is ac/dc?

davelerave wrote: »
    check if your new stuff is ac/dc?

Sorry I'm a bit blonde on this one.

What does this mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Moanin wrote: »
    Sorry I'm a bit blonde on this one.

What does this mean?

Are the new bulbs supposed to be used with AC or DC (Two different types of electricity)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Are the bulbs energy saving or 50 watt? I can't see how they could be both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Most 12V lighting transformers are electronic and need to see a load on them before they provide a 12V output. It's quite possible that the LED lights do not provide a high enough load to enable the transformers to start up properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Pete67 wrote: »
    Most 12V lighting transformers are electronic and need to see a load on them before they provide a 12V output. It's quite possible that the LED lights do not provide a high enough load to enable the transformers to start up properly.

This is correct. Some transformers will light LED's they might flicker a bit, but this half's the life of the bulb.

You should get an LED driver to replace the transformer and it will give the bulb its full life length. Led drivers are quite cheap and easy to install. Just decide how many bulbs you are connecting and make sure the size you get is big enough.

Advertisement