Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown Bin liners

• 24-02-2009 11:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭

Didn't know where else to put this question! But since we're all in the kitchen, I'm assuming some of ye must know.

Where can I buy compostable bin liners online in Ireland?? We're getting our brown bin today, and we need the liners to keep the smells in as the bins are kept near the front of the house. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I just get them in the supermarket. I use the small ones in a small brown bin in the kitchen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I picked up a roll of small bin liners in Tesco for the small brown bin. That way there's no smelly bin in the house and the small bags can get dumped safely in the big bin.

The bags are a bit more expensive than normal though.

(Soc -> Green Issues might be a better forum for advice on this).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Back when I lived in the Netherlands you could get wheely-bin sized liners made from some kind of bio-degradable plastic which were approved by the council for use in these kinds of bins. Don't know whether you can get them here though. You could try calling the Ecoshop ... www.ecoshop.ie, they might know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Lidl do little decomposable bags quite cheaply. They fit tightly around the mouth of the little brown bin for the kitchen.

Though I find that we never use the little bin, just throw out to the big bin as we go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Cheers for the tips - I bought them online from ecoshop.ie on Tuesday and they were delivered this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I take it the council don't allow you to use any type of plastic bag in the large brown bin though?

Sleipnir wrote: »
    I take it the council don't allow you to use any type of plastic bag in the large brown bin though?

That kind of defeats the purpose of putting compostable waste in your brown bin. I think any contaminated waste is just sent to landfill.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You can get large bio bags in the supermarket that are brown bin size.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

olaola wrote: »
    That kind of defeats the purpose of putting compostable waste in your brown bin. I think any contaminated waste is just sent to landfill.

What I mean is, do the council allow you to use biodegradeable bin liners in your brown bin? Obviously if you're just chucking food waste straight in there, it's going to smell.
    Even if it's emptied regularly, it's going to get gunky and funky.

What I mean is, do the council allow you to use biodegradeable bin liners in your brown bin? Obviously if you're just chucking food waste straight in there, it's going to smell.
    Even if it's emptied regularly, it's going to get gunky and funky.

They recommend that you use bin liners to help eliminate the smells etc. And that you put it out for every collection, even if it is not full. I'm just going to use small liners in the little brown basket that came with the bin and tie them off and chuck em in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement