Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

squeaking sofa

Options
  • 24-02-2009 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I bought a sofa and a reclining armchair about a month ago and there is a bad squeaking noise when you sit on or move on the sofa or chair. I also notice that the reclining mechanism seems to be getting very noisy on the chair when you use it. I havent put a mark on it and it could go back into the shop and be sold as new but for the noise...
    I am planning to ring the shop later, but I was wondering what are my rights in this case?

Thanks in advance.:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Unless it can be proven to be a fault with the sofa (i.e. that no other sofas of that model has the sound), none because it will be classified as a change of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Big Wave

Nody wrote: »
    Unless it can be proven to be a fault with the sofa (i.e. that no other sofas of that model has the sound), none because it will be classified as a change of mind.
    He's perfectly entitled to return it, as it's not fit for it's purpose (a sofa shouldn't squeek!) or of merchantable quality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Big Wave wrote: »
    He's perfectly entitled to return it, as it's not fit for it's purpose (a sofa shouldn't squeek!) or of merchantable quality.
    But that is exactly what was stated, normally it would not squeek but it may be that all new versions of this sofa does until something settles in. Hence, unless there is a "proven fault with the softa" it would be treated as change of mind. The sofa is clearly fit for purpose (he has no problem sitting in it) the only question is regarding the squeeking.

the only question is regarding the squeeking.

Therefore it's NOT fit for it's purpose - where's the confusion? A sofa isn't supposed to squeak - period!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

WD40

Cures all ills!

• Advertisement

Therefore it's NOT fit for it's purpose - where's the confusion? A sofa isn't supposed to squeak - period!
    What is the purpose of the softa? To sit in. The squeak has no impact on his ability to sit in the sofa, same way if the sofa would be red, blue or green has no impact if he can sit in it. Hence based on that it is fit for purpose of a sofa to fulfill.

That leaves the question if there is a fault with the sofa which goes back to my original post. I've sat in sofas which have squaked at times and other times not. It all depends on the construction of the sofa and hence the question if there is a contstruction fault in the sofa or not. For example if the sofa he tested in the store also squeked then that is the design of the sofa and it is a change of mind and not a fault.

What is the purpose of the softa? To sit in. The squeak has no impact on his ability to sit in the sofa, same way if the sofa would be red, blue or green has no impact if he can sit in it. Hence based on that it is fit for purpose of a sofa to fulfill.

That leaves the question if there is a fault with the sofa which goes back to my original post. I've sat in sofas which have squaked at times and other times not. It all depends on the construction of the sofa and hence the question if there is a contstruction fault in the sofa or not. For example if the sofa he tested in the store also squeked then that is the design of the sofa and it is a change of mind and not a fault.
    Wrong - it's main purpose is to sit in alright, but if it makes noises its not of merchantable quality - who the f*ck, besides you, thinks it's okay for a sofa to squeak?? besides sitting in, I'd say it's second function is to STFU!

If you buy a car, and dog sh*t constantly comes churning out of the exhaust pipe like silly putty, would think that's cool, as long as the car drives okay? According to your logic, as long as it's fits it's main purpose, then no need for concern, eh!?

Wrong - it's main purpose is to sit in alright, but if it makes noises its not of merchantable quality - who the f*ck, besides you, thinks it's okay for a sofa to squeak?? besides sitting in, I'd say it's second function is to STFU!/QUOTE] No, for the same reason that you can't say that the purpose of a Sofa is not to spit out 100 Euro bills or joddle in the morning.

QUOTE]If you buy a car, and dog sh*t constantly comes churning out of the exhaust pipe like silly putty, would think that's cool, as long as the car drives okay? According to your logic, as long as it's fits it's main purpose, then no need for concern, eh!?
    If you drove the car around testing it and it was spitting it out WHILE YOU WHERE TESTING IT and you still decided to buy it KNOWING it was doing that, yes.

That is the damn point, if it is a known way it behaves, and you still decide to buy it, then yes, you can't return it and say sorry this is not how it should behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Wrong - it's main purpose is to sit in alright, but if it makes noises its not of merchantable quality - who the f*ck, besides you, thinks it's okay for a sofa to squeak?? besides sitting in, I'd say it's second function is to STFU!

If you buy a car, and dog sh*t constantly comes churning out of the exhaust pipe like silly putty, would think that's cool, as long as the car drives okay? According to your logic, as long as it's fits it's main purpose, then no need for concern, eh!?

I think we should just ignore that idiot Nody-
    The shop said today that the manufacturer will send someone out to inspect/repair or replace....thanks big wave-

muincav wrote: »
    I think we should just ignore that idiot Nody-
    The shop said today that the manufacturer will send someone out to inspect/repair or replace....thanks big wave-
    Sorry, you're calling me an idiot after I tried to help you?

• Advertisement

Sorry, you're calling me an idiot after I tried to help you?
    No it is refereeing to me from what I've managed to piece together of the sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I agree with nody, its not a fault, not a claim under the sales of goods and services,
    just a bit of customer services needed and prob wd40!!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I agree with nody, its not a fault, not a claim under the sales of goods and services,
    just a bit of customer services needed and prob wd40!!

Yes it is a fault or the sofa would not have been making the noise in the first place. The sofa on display didnt and the one I bought shouldnt either.....
    I really dont see how you can say its not a fault? What is it then, a bonus?
    wd40 will not go in to a sofa, --maybe a recliner--but not a SEALED leather sofa, so yes it is a FAULT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

With all due sympathy to the OP and his squeaky couch, this thread has given me the best chuckle I've had in a long time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

With all due sympathy to the OP and his squeaky couch, this thread has given me the best chuckle I've had in a long time :D

Yep, complete mountain out of a molehill! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Jaysus, I get the dagger eyes from the fella any time I sit ("jump") on the couch and it squeaks where the wooden legs meet the wooden floor.

Can we swap couches?, that'd really do his head in! :pac:

Either way, it's something you could live with if it was a fold-out bed that you used once in a blue moon but if it makes a loud noise every time it reclines then it's something I wouldn't put up with, especially if I couldn't oil it myself.

It is what it's.

Advertisement