Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible C-Section

Options
  • 24-02-2009 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Hiya,

Just looking for advice, opinions and insights from you lovely ladies and possibly gents.

Yesterday I went for my 20 week scan and everything looks great. No problems with baby and I'm absolutely fine.

My last baby was a beautiful bouncing girl who weighed 11 lbs 2 oz at birth.
    The doctor yesterday advised that if this baby was looking like a similar weight they would recommend a C section. Now even though she was a big baby, I delivered her naturally and with no tear or episiotomy (sorry for the graphics), however the doctor said that because she had shoulder dystopia ( disclocation of the shoulders when born) that it would most likely happen again and it basically means that she didn't fit down the birth canal and it can cause problems for baby and mother. Of course I would have a C section if I thought there was any risk to me or my baby, but I am a little disappointed as I have heard that the recovery from a C section takes much longer and the thoughts of spending 5 days in the hospital doesn't exactly fill me with joy. I left after 24 hrs last time as I couldn't sleep and the nurses are too busy to help out. Is it any different after a C section? Can they help a bit more?

The other thing is they want to test me for pregnancy diabetes, again because of the big baby thing last time, although I didn't develop it while pregnant. Has anyone had this and what does it mean during your pregnancy.

Sorry for the long post and all the questions, any advice or information is greatly appreciated. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

Yes get tested for diabeties. but dont let the doctors bully you into a c-section. I had two sections and I can tell you its not nice. If you did it once with an 11 pounder then you can do it again with a similar weight. If you have diabeties then you will get treated for it and your baby may end up smaller then the first. I had diabetes for both my children and injections of insulin for the second. It makes a huge difference when its treated properly. good luck

PS you can get diabetes anywhere from 24 weeks to 32 weeks. Just because you didnt have it at 28 weeks doesnt mean you wont have it at 32 weeks. you can have two different outcomes. Diet controled (my first) or insulin dependent (my second). I am now clear of diabetes but will more then likly get it when im older. (its in the family). Its not the end of the world so dont worry about it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

Hi Beth,

Definitely lots to think about. What's interesting about shoulder dystocia is that the majority of what might be considered 'large' babies never have a dystocia.

Nearly half of all dystocias happen to babies that are less than 9lbs.....and it sounds like you did great with your last baby.

The predicted weight is a risk factor but not a predictor. I'm surprised that you had a shoulder dystocia and you didn't get an episiotomy or any tears. How long did the dystoica last ?

Being upright is helpful - with an epidural the pelvic space is narrowed which can make it harder for your baby to navigate the pelvis. The ligaments of the pelvis relax during pregnancy to make it nice and roomy for your baby.

Also a planned cesarean is not without risk either......so I'd ask your consultant for all the facts so you can have all the information to make your decision.

Good luck !!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

Thanks so much for your replies.

I have the GD test in April, so I will know better then, but if all indicators are towards the baby being big again, can I refuse a c section?
    And would it be wise to do so?

During labour I had to stand for a long time to try to get the babies head down. It's not that I'm some sort of maschicast and love pain or anything, but I would much rather deal with that than having trouble lifting baby and I've heard it's hard to breast feed after a section. Also, I will have a 20month old to run around after, so there will be still plenty of lifting to be done.
    That worried me too as with these times, taking time off work will be hard for hubby, and my sister is due six weeks after me so she will be pretty wrecked herself by that stage.

As far as not having a tear or episiotomy, I did have an episiotomy on my first, and maybe because it was my second I was already stretched (sorry again for the detail), but I put it down to the amazing midwife I had. She was just incredible and I listened to her and did as she instructed. If I thought I was going to get her again I'd be confident I could deliver naturally.

Can I demand a natural birth? And is an emergency section worse than a planned one?

Thanks again for the replies. It helps to be better informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

Hi Beth,

I don't think it's a case of refusing point blank but having a good talk with your caregiver and weighing up the pros/cons on each option and making the decision that feels right for you. Sometimes writing it down can be helpful.

The evidence is fairly clear on shoulder dystocia but nobody can predict what might happen during any birth. There's definitely a big difference in recovery time from a vaginal birth and a cesarean and breastfeeding can be more challenging but with the right support it can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭the glass woman

Hi Beth Lou,
    Firstly congrats on your expanding family!!
    I just wanted to share my experience with you..
    I have an 18mt old and I'd a c-section, it was decided the day before, i was already 10 days overdue and I was on crutches suffering with SPD so was totally ok with my excellent doc's advice. He thought the baby would be around 8lb which he classed as big, and as i'd a problem with my back he said it could well end up as an emergency section if i eventually went into labour or was induced. As it turned out, my son was 11lbs 11oz, (very neat bump!) so i was glad how things turned out!!

The day my son was born couldnt have been more relaxed and pain free and special. I walked down to the theatre, sat up on the table for the spinal block, didnt hurt at all, in fact the anisthestist had to tell me to stop laughing with one of the midwives so he could inject me!

It was an amazing experience, hubby came in after i was cut open, he took some amazing photos of my son being born, i have to say i would do it again tommorrow..

As far as the aftermath, yes it is sore and yes you need the help of the midwives/nurses to get out of bed for about 3 days but its no big deal in the greater scheme of things. They offered plenty of pain relief, often just solphadol, and by the time i went home on the 5th day i wasnt even taking paracetamol. I stayed in bed for about 2 days when i got home so 1 week after the birth i was back on my feet. (I know everyone is different)

I'll have to have a section for any future babies and i'm fine with that, at least next time i'll be scheduled in at 39 weeks so i won't have that horrible 3 extra weeks on crutches etc..

To answer your question about whether an emergency c-section would be worse than a planned one..yes it definitly would be.

Also i didnt have a problem breast feeding, the first couple of times it was easier to do it lying down..

THe best of luck with what you decide is best :)

oh ps: I don't want to be an alarmest but the shoulder thing would really worry me as i know of someone who was giving birth to a big baby and as they were pulling the baby out his arm broke and he had a heart attack and died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

Thanks again for the replies.
    I will talk to the staff in the hospital at my next visit.
    I read up a bit about it and to be honest I was a bit shocked at how serious it can be. I really just thought it was a case that the babies shoulders clicked out during birth and it wasn't that big a deal. There is a lot to think about. I will see how the pregnancy progresses and take it from there.

Thank you glass woman for your reassuring account of your c section. I'm not as worried about it now as I was. And your account sounds very relaxed and not so bad at all.

Thanks agains :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Hey beth-lou, I had an emergency c-section with my little fella just 2 weeks ago and I have to be honest and say that I recovered from it quickly. I'm not able to do sit ups yet but I was walking around within hours of the operation and I changed all his nappies and fed him myself so I did alot better than some of the natural birth mothers. Depending on what method they use to close the incision, your stay may be of a different lenght. I have dissolvable stitches, which are only half there now and I was out in 4 days and another girl was there the same day as me and had what were called beads so she was stuck there for 5 days.

Unlike your last visit however, even though the midwives were very busy alot of the time, they still made an effort to help us all as much as they could. As the other posters said, talk to your doctor, they usually will give you all the info you need to make your decision.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

SanFran07 wrote: »
    Being upright is helpful - with an epidural the pelvic space is narrowed which can make it harder for your baby to navigate the pelvis. The ligaments of the pelvis relax during pregnancy to make it nice and roomy for your baby.

I think I remember reading about some pregnancy yoga positions that help widen the pelvis in preparation for birth, might be worth a look.

Advertisement