Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motley Crue - Dr Feelgood

• 24-02-2009 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I know the Crue get a lot of slack from almost everyone, but lets face it...this is a good album.

It celebrates its 20th year this year, and Bob Rock should be pleased, its the one album that has prob allowed the Crue to continue on as "legends" rather than "also rans" because I'm doubtful if they have ever pulled off anything like this since.

Live, their stageshow is amazing, but when you get down to the fact that the best songs are 20+ years old the fact is that Motley Crue have not come close to equalling this fine effort.

Maybe it was because they were sober?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I absolutely love this album and its definately their best

I would have loved to see them touring for this album, I saw them a couple of years ago and it was a great show. They dont seem too bothered about playing in Ireland all the same.

As you say both Bob Rock and sobriety are probably the main factors for it being so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Despite this album having one of the finest bass drum sounds ever committed to tape, this was really only a stepping stone towards their peak, the self titled album with Corabi singing. Yes, this one shifted the units and had some killer singles, but the tunes just aren't as good overall as what came next. On this one they zoned in on their sound with Bob Rock and got close to their best, but it wasn't until Vince "the weakest link" Neil was gone that they really shone without his thin whiny voice lumped uncomfortably on some choice heavy riffage. Sixx upped his quality levels too, deleivering an album full of quality songs without the filler which lets Dr. Feelgood down.

Yes, it's good, but better was to come, musically at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Three words: Kickstart My Heart

If this album can't be appreciated by the modern rock/metal fan, then they clearly have a Van Gough's ear for music. And i'm not talking about the one he didn't cut off either.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Yeah Kick Start is a great track... Just finished The Dirt the other week... anyone else read it?? A page turner, if not quite disturbing in places, how did they get away with it! Wonder where things stand with the film...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Chuchu wrote: »
    how did they get away with it!...

Good question, that book is seriously disturbing and yet comical at the same time. There is so such gold in there you begin to wonder whether it was all fictional. Their time touring Ozzy Osbourne was weird though, especially for the stuff he was going through at that time, and Christopher Walken playing his character in the movie would be brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

first tape i ever bought ,feckin brilliant ,still listen to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

the vince neil window of oppertunity, somwhere between the 3rd and 5th beer:D

although he is actually singing the songs live now!!

Although not as good as feelgood and the corabi stuff, saints of LA is a solid album.

what a band:cool:

huge +1 on Kickstart My Heart, mick mars, the ****ing legend that is:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Chuchu wrote: »
    Yeah Kick Start is a great track... Just finished The Dirt the other week... anyone else read it?? A page turner, if not quite disturbing in places, how did they get away with it! Wonder where things stand with the film...
    Good question, that book is seriously disturbing and yet comical at the same time. There is so such gold in there you begin to wonder whether it was all fictional. Their time touring Ozzy Osbourne was weird though, especially for the stuff he was going through at that time, and Christopher Walken playing his character in the movie would be brilliant.

Reading it at the moment. Just past the part where they tell about the egg burreto from noogles.
    Jesus:eek::eek: what wrong with just showering????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The Dirt is quite the heroic novel alright... Not something to read for a bedtime story or anything... tho I did read it when I was 13/14... Tho, yeah.... how the hell did they get away with it?! Such legends.

And yes, 'Dr. Feelgood' was one kickass album, but I still believe they never bettered the snotty, sneery brilliance of 'Too Fast For Love'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

One of the greatest rock albums ever made. The Crue usually did suffer from "One good One Bad" when it came to albums but if this is the good then take a bow Frank Ferrana!

Saw them on their reunion tour in Cardiff a few back and by Christ was a freakin' show. Midgets, midgets on bikes, midget clowns, what more do you want?

• Advertisement

Sunset V wrote: »
    One of the greatest rock albums ever made. The Crue usually did suffer from "One good One Bad" when it came to albums but if this is the good then take a bow Frank Ferrana!

Saw them on their reunion tour in Cardiff a few back and by Christ was a freakin' show. Midgets, midgets on bikes, midget clowns, what more do you want?

ah now theatre of pain and new tattoo are the only weak albums, their 90s stuff is really underrated, they wernt "afraid" to try new stuff,(excuse the pun:P) i like it all.
    the corabi stuff is unreal, he is singing with ratt now.

I like your sig, detroit rock city! what a film:D

Reading it at the moment. Just past the part where they tell about the egg burreto from noogles.
    Jesus:eek::eek: what wrong with just showering????

their shower was full of tampons:eek: and the floor **** stained socks:D

id prefer the burrito myself tbh:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

that book is amazing, and this album is their peak, pity they may never top it

Advertisement