Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping on Carrauntoohil?

Options
  • 24-02-2009 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

dumb idea?

do people do this? if so would now be a tough time of year?

never climbed it before, and was thinking it'd be great to camp near the top (in surely crappy tent-pitching conditions I'm guessing) and be up the summit for sunrise.
    is this workable?

gonna go down a climb it for paddy's weekend eitherway.

anyone got any suggestions for fit young men to work into a weekend in the area, outdoorsy related or otherwise? ...looking to maximise fun on a budget.

all feedback much appreciated.

Comments

Know fellows who camp half way up on New Year's Eve, to be the first at the summit on New Year's Day. Or eslse to avoid Ryan Tubridy's show.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

Once you've the right gear you can camp on the summit any time of year. You won't be able to camp on the upper slopes, but you'll find flat (hard, rocky) ground on the summit. There's also a stone enclosure that you may get shelter in. I doubt you'll get pegs in but there's plenty of rocks to pin a tent down! It'll be at least ten degrees colder up there, that's before wind chill or night fall, and you'll be surrounded on approx three sides by cliffs. Phone reception on the summit isn't great.

In Killarney there's bike hire and horse riding, a climbing wall in Dingle - www.playatheight.com and some great long sections of Kerry Way around Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

Once you've the right gear you can camp on the summit any time of year. You won't be able to camp on the upper slopes, but you'll find flat (hard, rocky) ground on the summit. There's also a stone enclosure that you may get shelter in. I doubt you'll get pegs in but there's plenty of rocks to pin a tent down! It'll be at least ten degrees colder up there, that's before wind chill or night fall, and you'll be surrounded on approx three sides by cliffs. Phone reception on the summit isn't great.

In Killarney there's bike hire and horse riding, a climbing wall in Dingle - www.playatheight.com and some great long sections of Kerry Way around Killarney.

cheers for this info.

is a bog standard tent and sleeping bag "the right gear"? maybe if we wear a few layers for the night and get a couple hot drinks into us?

would you reckon it would be any craic for a few of us doing it, or just an uncomfortable night of endurance?
    It's mostly with the hope of getting some nice views at sunrise?
    ...worth it or silly?
    just curious for opinions.

If you've a great forecast overnight and for the coming 24 hrs it could be a nice thing to do. When you get a clear morning, with mist in the valleys and sunrise over the Reeks it's really amazing.

For gear really you want a mountain tent, thick sleeping bag, loads of food and flasks of hot drink, loads of spare fleeces, torches, maps, compasses and all the other stuff. I suppose if the weather was excellent a cheapish low-level tent may do the job.

If you've a great forecast overnight and for the coming 24 hrs it could be a nice thing to do. When you get a clear morning, with mist in the valleys and sunrise over the Reeks it's really amazing.

For gear really you want a mountain tent, thick sleeping bag, loads of food and flasks of hot drink, loads of spare fleeces, torches, maps, compasses and all the other stuff. I suppose if the weather was excellent a cheapish low-level tent may do the job.

much obliged for this.

any suggestions from anyone on what not to miss, or where's good to stay also appreciated...

thanks.

• Advertisement

Also,

where's best to stay I'm wondering?

Is dingle a bit far away?

would kenmare / killarney be better maybe?

anyone know?

Killarney's closest. I'd reccomend Gretta at Killarney Railway Hostel, www.killarneyhostel.com or Bernice at Robeen House B&B, www.robeenhouse.com.

Killarney's closest. I'd reccomend Gretta at Killarney Railway Hostel, www.killarneyhostel.com or Bernice at Robeen House B&B, www.robeenhouse.com.

nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

dumb idea?

never climbed it before, and was thinking it'd be great to camp near the top (in surely crappy tent-pitching conditions I'm guessing) and be up the summit for sunrise.
    is this workable?

Hello,
    Just a suggestion if your based in Killarney, but Mangerton would be a more comfortable mountain to camp out on, plenty soft ground, better shelter than Carrauntouhil, fresh water from the punch bowl. Don't know if you've climbed it before but might be a better option for a first time camping:)

would kenmare / killarney be better maybe?

Kenmare and Killarney would be much better, Dingle would be the bones of an hour away anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

SomeFool wrote: »
    Hello,
    Just a suggestion if your based in Killarney, but Mangerton would be a more comfortable mountain to camp out on, plenty soft ground, better shelter than Carrauntouhil, fresh water from the punch bowl. Don't know if you've climbed it before but might be a better option for a first time camping:)

Hi,
    I'm not a hiker but I've been up Mangerton. I was wondering - when people talk about tough hikes etc. where would Mangerton rank? How would it compare to Carauntoohil? I 'ran' a race to the top of Mangerton on a nice Summer day a few years ago. Even still it was cold, foggy, and marshy at the summit. The lakes at the top are cool - how deep are they? Are they safe for swimming?

Advertisement