Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi/Lidl looking for planning in Callan (Tesco to)

Options
  • 24-02-2009 12:58pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So it seems Aldi (could be Lidl..I tend to mix them up) is looking for planning in Callan on the windgap road.

In addition to this it seems Tesco are making another push after the Co Council rezoned the center of Callan town from the cross roads to up around the An Post Office allowing Tesco to still build where they wanted but now it'll be considered in the town (though it would have always been in the callan limits anyway).

Given last time Tesco tried for planning the Suprvalue was against it I'd be interested to see what would happen this time. I'd personally prefer Aldi/Lidl to open in Callan instead of Tesco's.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

well if your info is true, i think an ALDi would bring in many people from Kilkenny who dislike LIDL(there are those who think LIDL is of a lesser quality than ALDI) so I think many people would go to Callan especially for ALDI, bringing in more revenue for local business

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

Heres the link from the KK People:

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/Tesco-and-Aldi-plan-for.4991754.jp

I had that both Aldi and Tesco had wanted to setup shop; Tesco at the Prologue site they applied for before but Aldi would be somewhere else (but close by) - I had heard near Bolton Woods.

I wouldn't have a specific preference for either (I do find a Tesco shop is more expensive than Dunnes) but either would be welcome :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Spocker wrote: »
    Heres the link from the KK People:

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/Tesco-and-Aldi-plan-for.4991754.jp

I had that both Aldi and Tesco had wanted to setup shop; Tesco at the Prologue site they applied for before but Aldi would be somewhere else (but close by) - I had heard near Bolton Woods.

If Tesco or Aldi setup in that area they are going to need to do something about the exit from Bolton Woods, even on a good day it can often be lethal and if they introduce more traffic it will just be insane!

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

It would be much better if they had entrances on the Windgap road, it would make things a lot easier for traffic coming off the bypass...

Advertisement