Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I go to UL?

Options
  • 24-02-2009 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

I have contacted UL about this and talked to my career advisor, all with varying responses so I've come here to find out for sure...

The entry requirements for UL are "Irish or another language", I am exempt from Irish but don't do any other language. Can I study at UL?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Short answer: yes :)

I'm 95% on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Technically the answer is no. Someone should have pointed this out to you when you chose your Leaving Cert subjects.

For the NUI it's Irish AND another language, so you're really goosed there.

Contact Admissions. Anne.Hickey@ul.ie should be able to point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

paddyb125 wrote: »
    I have contacted UL about this and talked to my career advisor, all with varying responses so I've come here to find out for sure...

The entry requirements for UL are "Irish or another language", I am exempt from Irish but don't do any other language. Can I study at UL?:confused:

Do you know what course you want to do? If so, get in contact with the head of that course (should be available on the website). Also, perhaps contact the Education Officer in the Student Union for some advice and contacts.

Can't see any issue with getting in, other than points.

EDIT: Reading ninty9er's post, I guess I am wrong. Pretty crap way of doing things tbh. How do foreign students or those based in Ireland but only in their teen years get on then?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Robo_Mike

If you have an exemption you should be ok, one of my housemates had an exemption, didnt do another language and is here, but as ninety9er said, contact admissions.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

K, other's are going into detail, I'll elaborate a little. It's the fact that you have an exemption that puts you in the clear. Get in touch to be sure, but I'd a mate who did Foundation Irish and no other langauge for the Leaving Cert. Foundation isn't accepted for language purposes so he was the same boat as you. Graduated 3 years ago with a 2.1. Go for it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

Otacon wrote: »
    Do you know what course you want to do?

I was thinking of 'Journalism and New Media'

I've been in touch with UL three times, I got two no's and a yes...it doesn't seem like they know either but i'll give them another try!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

K, other's are going into detail, I'll elaborate a little. It's the fact that you have an exemption that puts you in the clear.
    That's my understanding as well.

Email Anne Hickey. She knows her stuff and she's the one who'll be making the call anyway so that's where you get your definitive answer.

Advertisement