Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server 2003 AD

• 24-02-2009 2:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭

I have 2 sites with the below setup:
    1 2003 DC which is also File and Print Serve
    1 exchange 2003 server
    4 site application servers
    1 ringmaster pc
    1 interface pc
    50 computers

I know that since there is only 1 server running AD that all users logon onto this server and if it went down no one could logon so I want a fall back, from reading up I see once exchange 2003 is installed and working you cannot run dcpromo on it without it breaking.
    So is another server or high powered pc my option and to install AD on it an leave the 5 roles on the main server but in an emergancy I can run on the high powered pc and users can logon to the network and access the application servers and the mail once I change dns and dhcp onto this server.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭sandleman1979

Are any of the application servers or mail server using Windows 2003 R2 enterprise or Windows 2008?
    In this case you could create a virtualised domain controllers to serve the network. This way no machines configuration changes and the machine is on a separate box...

Reason i ask bout windows versions is that Windows 2003 R2 ent and windows 2008 ent allow for upto four virtualised machines under the license of the host machine, windows 2008 standard allows one virtualised machine under the hosts license.

If you use Windows 2003 any version (non R2) or windows 2003 R2 standard, you will need another windows license for the domain controller...

Advertisement