Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Secret of Kells

Options
  • 24-02-2009 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Anyone see it on Sunday night?

Bloody Fan.Tas.Tic. Some bits I loved in brief, not in any particular order....

-How the cat had one blue and one green eye,
    -The animation of the candle flames,
    -The light reflections through the trees on Brendens clothes with he does into the forest. Adds such dimension.
    -The design of Mick Lallys character and of course his voice and performance; very well cast.
    -The design of the forest and the trees within it, expecially the wide shots.
    -How everything evolved and was based on the celtic design of the actual book - an obvious style but very well formed and created.
    -The music - perfect.
    -The research and historical references - with my archaeologist/viking curator sister beside me I was waiting for her to point out various inaccuracies as she does but she was well impressed and content! Phew!
    -The earthy colours and tones.
    -The ending, which I didnt want to end:) The animation of the pages and the designs within. Fabulous stuff.

Im not going to say any less fantastic points because if I was one of the animators and had some wan rambling on about how crap this was and stupid that was, Id be raging, considering all the blood sweat and tears Im sure went into every bit of it. I can only say good things about it anyway. I was looking forward to seeing it for ages and love the style of stuff coming out of Cartoon Saloon so I was delighted to be there.

Congratulations and well done to all involved. Keep it up :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

Yep, I saw it and it was great to see this quality coming out of a young irish studio considering its their first major production. I thought the impact of the animation wasn't in anyway a wow factor but the colour scheme reflected the era so those earthy tones were the obvious choice. I love the little female character 'Aisling' and the style they portrayed her in almost as a pagan shape shifter in contrast to the almost austere monastic characters.
    The ultimate end of the producition was beautiful and in one way I thought they could have built it up even more but as a fan of the book of Kells I thought it was gorgeous.
    I talked to someone else after the show and he was a little disapointed with the animation and thought it was a little dull.
    All things considered, I think its a credit to all the years of hard work they put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Doolee wrote: »
    Congratulations and well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I went to see it with my class , im an animation student
    and half the class fell asleep my teacher nodded off for 30 minuets the story was awful , they should have called the secret of after affects.
    The voice's THE VOICES didnt go with the characters especially Brendan glesans voice it was like someone just played a audio clip over the animation.

They used way to meny borders to frame what was going on in almost every scene , how meny god dam times did they fly a bird over the bloody town ugh , it was like a insanely boring episode of samurai jack !

Nice student movie or a tv movie not something i would consider worth going to the cinema for .

Ow and i never seen a movie take inspiration from ****en mobile phone game in my life , Game of snake anyone ?

ahh it was awfull whats wrong with you people !!!

Edit : oh and what the **** is up with the kid turning into a ginger jesus ! ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

Lone Stone wrote: »
    and half the class fell asleep my teacher nodded off for 30 minuets the story was awful , they should have called the secret of after affects.
    The voice's THE VOICES didnt go with the characters especially Brendan glesans voice it was like someone just played a audio clip over the animation.

They used way to meny borders to frame what was going on in almost every scene , how meny god dam times did they fly a bird over the bloody town ugh , it was like a insanely boring episode of samurai jack !

Nice student movie or a tv movie not something i would consider worth going to the cinema for .

Ow and i never seen a movie take inspiration from ****en mobile phone game in my life , Game of snake anyone ?

You've made me laugh. Firstly, I'm viewing it from the perspective of going to see a movie without the sole aim of ripping it apart because I'm not an animation student.The fact that your class fell asleep during it is probably due to the fact you were up the night before drinking Buckfast till 7am.
    That the movie took inspriation from a mobile phone game makes me think you've never seen the book of kells and so maybe book yourself in for a little eye opener there. I doubt a mobile phone game had much inspiration as the book of kells is around for a bit longer....so that is where they got their inspiration from, an original source.
    As for the ginger thing...I agree. But when its planned to be shown all over the world you have to bow to these kind of cultural pressures and give the paying public what they want. Their standard view of Ireland. (at least there were no drunk monks anywhere)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

People people people...

Lets all respect eachothers opinions. I did animation in college too, so like to think I know a thing or two but I was just concentrating on the positive aspects of the film. I could have made a list of the negative aspects but whats the point in that. They did a better job than I could in all honesty so fair play.

Nuff said.

• Advertisement

Doozie wrote: »
    You've made me laugh. Firstly, I'm viewing it from the perspective of going to see a movie without the sole aim of ripping it apart because I'm not an animation student.The fact that your class fell asleep during it is probably due to the fact you were up the night before drinking Buckfast till 7am.
    That the movie took inspriation from a mobile phone game makes me think you've never seen the book of kells and so maybe book yourself in for a little eye opener there. I doubt a mobile phone game had much inspiration as the book of kells is around for a bit longer....so that is where they got their inspiration from, an original source.
    As for the ginger thing...I agree. But when its planned to be shown all over the world you have to bow to these kind of cultural pressures and give the paying public what they want. Their standard view of Ireland. (at least there were no drunk monks anywhere)

Ok first of all i did go to it with the intention of enjoying it and not tearing it apart but it was just that bad ! IN MY OPINION. Oh and i dont drink and neither does most of my class , So you can stuck that drunk student talk up your ass, i gave my opinion on the film if you dont want to hear about what people thought of it dont read posts in a a topic about it ? ok. My class fell asleep cause the film was BAD !

Where are you studying animation? I find it turely insulting that animation students and a teacher would be so disrespectful given that more then anyone they should know how much work [10 years by the way] it took to get this film onto a cinema screen. First off the amount of After Effects in the film is very little, anyone with animaton training would be able to tell that. The vast majority of the effects where drawn by hand by a man and ink studio in galway, they've plenty of the line tests up on their website. Do they not teach storytelling on animation courses these days? I could understand non-animation people being bored at this film, the story is weak in parts but you at least expect those with an art background, even those in training, to understand the use of colour in this film, the use of the birds as a storytelling motif and to at least get the styling of the film - it was done in the style of early christain celtic art hence the use of panels. Seriously did none of you get that from the use of prespective and character design in the film. O and do you really think snake on your phone was the first time anyone thought of a snake turning in on its self, go crack open an art history book.

Given how small the animation industry is, esp in this country, if I was hoping to come out of college and get work, I'd be praying this film does well so funding will improve.

Edit: Knew I'd seen the name before - given that you won't even rec the animation course your on to anyone I guess I shouldn't be surprised your class didn't appreciate the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

ztoical wrote: »
    I find it turely insulting that animation students and a teacher would be so disrespectful given that more then anyone they should know how much work [10 years by the way] it took to get this film onto a cinema screen.

Exactly! This is what I was trying to compliment. Well said...

*bows out gracefully and leaves them at it*

ztoical wrote: »
    Where are you studying animation? I find it turely insulting that animation students and a teacher would be so disrespectful given that more then anyone they should know how much work [10 years by the way] it took to get this film onto a cinema screen. First off the amount of After Effects in the film is very little, anyone with animaton training would be able to tell that. The vast majority of the effects where drawn by hand by a man and ink studio in galway, they've plenty of the line tests up on their website. Do they not teach storytelling on animation courses these days? I could understand non-animation people being bored at this film, the story is weak in parts but you at least expect those with an art background, even those in training, to understand the use of colour in this film, the use of the birds as a storytelling motif and to at least get the styling of the film - it was done in the style of early christain celtic art hence the use of panels. Seriously did none of you get that from the use of prespective and character design in the film. O and do you really think snake on your phone was the first time anyone thought of a snake turning in on its self, go crack open an art history book.

Given how small the animation industry is, esp in this country, if I was hoping to come out of college and get work, I'd be praying this film does well so funding will improve.

Edit: Knew I'd seen the name before - given that you won't even rec the animation course your on to anyone I guess I shouldn't be surprised your class didn't appreciate the film.

Look ok i tell you what you give me back my 8 euro or what ever it cost and il take back my comments on your film and you can sit happily around all the people who will tell you how amazing it was, (amazing achievement making a movie) and ignore everyone else who thought it was boring over worked and extremely busy artwork that took away from the film.

And if your going stir up some personal vendetta against anyone who doesn't like your film well i hope you have a lot of free time on your hands.

and btw i can appreciate the time and effort that went into making the film but that doesn't make it any more enjoyable. sorry but you know if id know someone who actually worked on it was reading or posting in this forum i would have lied , or ignored the negative aspects but ow well my bad.

Look ok i tell you what you give me back my 8 euro or what ever it cost and il take back my comments on your film and you can sit happily around all the people who will tell you how amazing it was, (amazing achievement making a movie) and ignore everyone else who thought it was boring over worked and extremely busy artwork that took away from the film.

And if your going stir up some personal vendetta against anyone who doesn't like your film well i hope you have a lot of free time on your hands.

and btw i can appreciate the time and effort that went into making the film but that doesn't make it any more enjoyable. sorry but you know if id know someone who actually worked on it was reading or posting in this forum i would have lied , or ignored the negative aspects but ow well my bad.

First off it's not "my film" - yes I worked on it but so did a couple of hundred other people, the film is 100% the directors. I have no issue with people posting negative comments about the film - hell I can post some myself, I don't think it was prefect or anywhere near but if someone claims to be studying animation and then makes comments about the film that shows a pure lack of understanding of the medium/art forum then yeah I'm going to comment on that. If your going to post rants then expect people to rant back at you. If you had posted an intelligent, thought out criticism I would have no issue but your comments showed a real lack of understanding of animation and art direction, fine from laymen but I'm honestly surprised by anyone with an art background coming out with them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement