Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where in Dublin City Centre can I get Maple Syrup?

Options
  • 24-02-2009 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

I got this in Tesco in the Jervis Centre before but it appears to have vanished.

I have checked quite a few supermarkets in the last couple of weeks and I have been unable to find any Maple Syrup. With the day that's in it, I feel it is important to have some of this available this evening.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Superquinn (Balinteer) sells it. I think they have a couple of brands and all, and an organic one. Six or seven quid. I had pancakes this morning but I was out of syrup and I had to use honey - not half as good!

I also forgot to cut the buckwheat with regular plain flour too, so the pancakes were so chewy and dark. Bad day on the pancake front, to be honest.

I often use this simple recipe and it's a winner:

http://www.perfectpancake.net/buttermilkpancakes/index.html

For the topping, scrape vanilla out of a pod and mix with mascarpone. Spread resulting creamy vanilla goodness on pancakes, sprinkle blueberries, crispy bacon and maple syrup over that.

After three or four pancakes like this, you won't be going anywhere, so keep the rest of the morning free.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Have you checked the "baking goods" section in these supermarkets?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

rediguana - Ballinteer is no good to me, I'm afraid. I'm a carless townie.

Hill Billy - Yep. Tried the baking goods section and checked with the honey and jam. No joy. I even got desperate and asked a shelf stacker, who proceed to check the shelf where they keep mustard and stuff :confused: but no joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

rediguana - Ballinteer is no good to me, I'm afraid. I'm a carless townie.

Hill Billy - Yep. Tried the baking goods section and checked with the honey and jam. No joy. I even got desperate and asked a shelf stacker, who proceed to check the shelf where they keep mustard and stuff :confused: but no joy.

Superquinn have a place in Coolock - it's even called "Northside"! Not sure if that's walking distance for you...

I think a lot of health shops would have Maple Syrup. I have an idea I've seen it in a few before, which is strange considering it's not really healthy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ya know the alley north of the new paderstrian bridge on the Liffey? There's a health shop there: they may stock it. Either there, or the Supervalue where Virgin used next to O'Connell bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

Well, that's a few places I haven't tried anyway. Thanks people.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

My tesco has none for ages now, strange as they did 2 at one stage, used to be in the baking section near flour & cooking chocolate, then in the jellies, custard, tinned fruit section. M&S do a decent one. Some health food places will but expect to pay big bucks.

tesco didn't even have the maple flavoured golden syrup, last year they had loads for pancake tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I got some in Super-Valu in the baking section. Squeezable bottle marked as maple desert sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Marks and spencers do it. So do avoca ( they do really really nice ones)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I saw maple syrup in Aldi in Longford today, I guess all aldi stores will have it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

rediguana wrote: »
    Superquinn (Balinteer) sells it. I think they have a couple of brands and all, and an organic one. Six or seven quid. I had pancakes this morning but I was out of syrup and I had to use honey - not half as good!

I also forgot to cut the buckwheat with regular plain flour too, so the pancakes were so chewy and dark. Bad day on the pancake front, to be honest.

I often use this simple recipe and it's a winner:

http://www.perfectpancake.net/buttermilkpancakes/index.html

For the topping, scrape vanilla out of a pod and mix with mascarpone. Spread resulting creamy vanilla goodness on pancakes, sprinkle blueberries, crispy bacon and maple syrup over that.

After three or four pancakes like this, you won't be going anywhere, so keep the rest of the morning free.

That is the way my friends mom in the US makes her pancakes every morning damn they are so delicious. Sorry to hear about your mishap nothing worse when you go to make them and you forget something. Didn't get a chance to make some meself but now I think I will Cheers rediguana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Who needs maple strup - have them the irish way - butter, sugar and lemon juice^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jefe

I found the syrup in Marks and Spencer for 7 euros..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Aldi still have it.

Advertisement