Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just Getting started...

• 24-02-2009 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi, I've being doing a little fishing on the net about Buddhism (mainly Theravada) so far I've come to terms with The Noble eightfold path and the 5(8) precepts for lay Buddhists, but I haven't practiced meditation yet ( I would like to find someone suitable to guide me first) I went to a well known non secular organisation recently but it didn't feel quite right so I did some digging and found some worrying info on them... So my Questions are what are other people's experiences in taking Buddism further & Does anybody here know of a group in or around Dublin/Kildare which is Theravadin and has links with a Theravadin monastic group?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭KamikazeKenny81

I you do find any Theravada cantres around Dublin I would be very interested to know. I have been reading and generally studying buddhism for over a year now, I am pretty sure I have also attended the mentioned centre haha. Interesting but also didnt feel quite right! Havent found any local Theravada centres yet tho.

Anyway, my input which you may find handy is a book called meditation in plain english by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana. This book is actually availible to download free on the web, I found it on google. Im currently reading his book 8 steps to happyness, I think they are very brilliant books (Theravada).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Kabuki

Hey Kamikazekenny81 yes, I reckon it is the same centre... thanks for the recommendation I'll certainly check it out and if I do find a Theravadin centre I will of course let people know. Thanks again for the reply. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭bou

I did a quick google search for Theravadin and Dublin, pages from Ireland. I see one http://www.insightmeditationdublin.com/10.html which gives a couple of links. There seems to be a centre in Kilkenny. Maybe give a call to a couple of retreat centres asking for info on what is being done around Dublin. You could compile a list of groups and centres and add to or update the info in the sticky thread "Charter, Truths, Centres, Books, and Films".

No problem, let me know if u have any problems finding that book :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Kabuki

Hey KamikazeKenny81, is the book your referring to actually called 'Mindfulness in Plain English' I checked out the Bhavana society website there's no 'Meditation in Plain English' listed ?

• Advertisement

Yep thats the one, sterling detective work haha. Sorry bout that! Enjoy!

Advertisement