Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Welcome to the new football

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Dailymail reporting it = most likely a pile of pooh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

It's not.

img075.jpg

Now wonder the Riverside is hoppin every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

In fairness to Boro, at least they've apologised for the wording of the letter:
    BORO have apologised to supporters who have been annoyed by the wording of a club letter directed at a section of fans in Block 53a in the Riverside Stadium's South-East corner.

The letter from the club's Safety Officer Sue Watson was designed to tackle an issue that has arisen only since a large number of fans moved from the North Stand to Block 53a to create a loud atmosphere in another area of the stadium.

However, the club had received a number of complaints from fans who have sat in 53a for some years that supporters new to the block were causing annoyance by constantly banging on the plastic sheeting at the back of the stand and blocking their view of the game by standing for long periods.

Boro have held consultations with the new supporters, who called themselves the Red Faction, aimed at agreeing a compromise that would result in the best possible atmosphere for all fans.

It was also decided that a letter would be handed out to Red Faction supporters encouraging their "noisy, passionate support" but asking them to refrain from constantly banging the plastic sheeting and reminding them that the ground's Safety Certificate does not allow permanent standing.

However, Boro's Chief Operating Officer Neil Bausor said he understands how the wording of the letter could easily have been misunderstood as discouraging fans from creating a loud atmosphere.

Mr Bausor said: "We want to make it absolutely clear, as Sue says in her letter, that Middlesbrough FC encourages the fans to back the team with passion and noise.

"The fans' backing is absolutely essential and we would never discourage passionate support.

"Sue's letter was a result of a number of fans moving from the North Stand to Block 53a to create a louder atmosphere in that area.

"Unfortunately, other supporters who have sat in that area for some years have been upset by those new to the block constantly standing and banging on the plastic sheeting at the back of the stand.

"We have been consulting with supporters in the area and indeed held a meeting with them on Friday with the aim of achieving the best atmosphere for all fans.

"The letter was designed to ask those fans new to Block 53a to continue to back the team with passion and noise but to have respect for their fellow fans too.

"However, we do understand the strength of feeling on this issue and we do accept the letter could easily have been misunderstood.

"We apologise to any supporters who have therefore been understandably annoyed.

"The club's fans have been excellent throughout what has been a difficult season and we are going to need their support and backing throughout the remainder of the season.

"We thank the fans for their ongoing support of the team."

http://www.mfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/ClubNewsDetail/0,,1~1566954,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Now wonder the Riverside is hoppin every week.

It's not just the Riverside though.

I've seen complaints on this very forum about the stewards in Old Trafford.

I mean.

People getting put out of stadiums for using bad language.

Fúcking farce tbh.

Football is becoming way too sanitised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Telling 30k people to STFU. Great idea.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Maybe they could put the weird fans who want to shout and stand up in a caged section where they could be ignored and laughed at, until Boro are a goal down and the people in the corporate boxes start complaining about the 'lack of passion'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Man U have been trying to get fans to sit down and shut up for over 10 years now.

at least croke park don't have that problem during the Ireland matches :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Unbelievable. It's not as if their stadium is bursting at the seams either. Always seems to be half empty on the telly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's becoming an absolute joke. Their logic is that for every real football fan they lose (who sing, stand, curse normally :)) they will gain 2 family people. That's why the atmosphere is crap, and its why attendences are crap everywhere but the top 4. Safe standing all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Red Faction are only around since the New Year so they seem to have got some attendence already. Surprised that they've punished the RF so quickly, especially since they're is another group, Twe12th Man at Middlesbrough who would have roughly the same goals as the RF.

rfforumheaderlcw.jpg

I know it's not as bad but still:
    http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=1125

Also, towards the end of last season, and in a couple of the pre-season matches this year, chanting of a personal abusive nature has crept in. Shelbourne Football Club will not condone such chanting and disassociates itself completely from the sentiments within this chanting. It certainly does not serve the purpose of supporting our team and has no place within the environment of young children. It will not be tolerated and may result in the ejection from the ground of those responsible for starting it. We urge our like-minded supporters to encourage those who may be thinking of starting this type of chant to sing in support of our team and not to spend 20 minutes slagging off an individual or individuals who have absolutely nothing to do with our club. It is fruitless and gives a very bad impression of the club. Your vocal support is needed now more than ever in this coming season but in a constructive manner.

It's refering to a song we sing about John Delaney which contains the word c*nt.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is it my reading of the letter thats off or is there no mention of shutting up? It just says dont be standing up for the whole game.

It's refering to a song we sing about John Delaney which contains the word c*nt.:cool:

Does it not also refer to the FTA chant?

Fúck me though, clubs should start handing out hymn sheets.

Des wrote: »
    Does it not also refer to the FTA chant?

Fúck me though, clubs should start handing out hymn sheets.

Well as much as the Delaney chant will probably be stopped, there's not a hope in hell that the FTA chant will.;)

Well as much as the Delaney chant will probably be stopped

How can it be stopped?

Is Joe Casey going to stand at the bottom of the New Stand going "ssshhhhh" or what?

It was one thing taking a flag off the lads, but this can't be policed.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Is it my reading of the letter thats off or is there no mention of shutting up? It just says dont be standing up for the whole game.
    Fans in one corner of the club's stadium were asked to stop the 'constant banging and noise' following complaints from other home fans.

I'd say this "noise" includes singing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Football is definitely on its downturn, whether the statistics show it yet or not.

How can it be stopped?

Is Joe Casey going to stand at the bottom of the New Stand going "ssshhhhh" or what?

It was one thing taking a flag off the lads, but this can't be policed.

I know it means nothing but in the Stadium Regulations for Tolka Park on of the rules is no obscene chanting, this song I'd presume will come under that, and afaik the FAI have some say in Stadium Regulations therefore a fine could be on the table.:(

I can see someone bringing the matter up on Thursday at the Fans' Forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Doubtfull. I'd say it just means not to be kickign **** out of the stadium itself. Otherwise they'd mention singing specifically. Mountain out of a molehill imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Fans in one corner of the club's stadium were asked to stop the 'constant banging and noise' following complaints from other home fans.

Not neccesarially, if they'd put out the following statement it could raise a few, eh, eyebrows:
    Fans in one corner of the club's stadium were asked to stop the 'constant banging' following complaints from other home fans.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

...I may get ridiculed for saying this, but I kind of see where they are coming from. They arent asking people to stop chanting, singing or supporting the team. They are just asking people to stop constantly banging on the wall/seat/plastic/whatever it is at the back of the stand. If you have ever been at a game in which someone is constantly banging on something directly behind you (usually with no rythem) it does get very irritating.

Banging along to a song or a chant ? Fine. Banging along when a goal is scored or after an exciting passage of play ? Grand. But making irritating noises non stop for the whole game ? I personally dont think that adds to the atmosphere or supports the team in any way.

Theres no way to enforce it but I see no problem in politely asking them to respect the other fans around them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I was at Boro four years ago and they make one hell of a racket, even more so when they score (finished 3-3) as the away section is sort of below one of the home ends, so they have a big f*ck off wall between the two sets of fans, and they hammer the hell out of it.

Chuck all sorts over as well...:(

I know it means nothing but in the Stadium Regulations for Tolka Park on of the rules is no obscene chanting, this song I'd presume will come under that, and afaik the FAI have some say in Stadium Regulations therefore a fine could be on the table.:(

I can see someone bringing the matter up on Thursday at the Fans' Forum.

Don't be surprised if they mention the law as well, I'm sure there is some piece of legislation can be used to prosecute somebody for obscene language.

I know that at least one of the fans charged by Portsmouth police over the Sol Campbell chanting was charged with obscene chanting "Campbell, you're a c*nt, Campbell Campbell you're a c*nt"...and since he has contested the charge and is currently out on bail, Spurs have indefinitely banned him from WHL until the case is dealt with...:(

Oh, and another bloke I'm aware of was chucked out of the Reebok for persistent standing (him and the entire bloody stand were up), banned from WHL as a result, appealed that and had reduced to a three match ban, but missed out on a cup final ticket because they suspended his ST for the duration of the ban, so he couldn't apply.

Tusky wrote: »
    ...I may get ridiculed for saying this, but I kind of see where they are coming from. They arent asking people to stop chanting, singing or supporting the team. They are just asking people to stop constantly banging on the wall/seat/plastic/whatever it is at the back of the stand. If you have ever been at a game in which someone is constantly banging on something directly behind you (usually with no rythem) it does get very irritating.

Banging along to a song or a chant ? Fine. Banging along when a goal is scored or after an exciting passage of play ? Grand. But making irritating noises non stop for the whole game ? I personally dont think that adds to the atmosphere or supports the team in any way.

Theres no way to enforce it but I see no problem in politely asking them to respect the other fans around them.

:D

Hilarious.

In stadia all over the world there is constant banging, and they are some of the best atmosphere's I've ever experienced.

But yes, some mong with a drum and not an ounce of rhythm in him, shoot the poxy little fúckers.

That cnut with the bell at Pompey, wish he'd give it a rest...:D

"Campbell, you're a c*nt, Campbell Campbell you're a c*nt"...

This is pretty much the jist of the Delaney chant too.

Just calling him a "fúckin' cúnt" over and over.

I like that chant.

:)

That cnut with the bell at Pompey, wish he'd give it a rest...:D

Jaysis, I hate that fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

ban the bloody Derry wannabe orangemen aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

They've been asked to stop banging plastic at the back of the stand... not to stop singing or shouting... They clarified that in the linked article on the first page of the thread...

If I was a season ticket holder in the area and these nutjobs came in and basically meant you couldn't enjoy the game, then I'd be pretty p1ssed off as well...

I wouldn't mind them singing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Typical responses from Irish Premiership fans. They've no idea how to behave a football matches. Buying into the sanitised rubbish that is now Premiership football.

Atmosphere at games in England stopped after Hysel/Hillsborough. Compared to the other leagues in Europe and the world (some with half the attandences) and it's dyer, yet people over here think it's great. English league games used to be the best in the world for noise and atmosphere in the 70's. Constant noise from start to finish, it's a shadow of that now.

FA put an end to that, you're not even allowed to stand bleedin up. I mean who the hell wants to watch a football match involving their team while sitting down? The FAI are trying to follow suit and if they are in anyway successful i'll give the lot up.

This is pretty much the jist of the Delaney chant too.

Just calling him a "fúckin' cúnt" over and over.

I like that chant.

:)

Not to mention he "takes it up the brown.":pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Anto McC wrote: »
    I mean who the hell wants to watch a football match involving their team while sitting down?

I do.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I do.

AntoMcC forgot to add in the clause;

*Couch, barstool or any form of seat which isn't within the stadium that the match is being played does NOT count contrary to belief of the majority of the Irish sporting public.

:rolleyes:

The Shelbourne song in question on page 2 on this thread:

http://www.bebo.com/FlashBox.jsp?FlashBoxId=8720237990&
    (Was recorded last Friday in a friendly against Drogheda in Utd Park)

*Note song does contain the use of the word, c*nt.;)

• Advertisement

*Couch, barstool or any form of seat which isn't within the stadium that the match is being played does NOT count contrary to belief of the majority of the Irish sporting public.

I'm not a barstool though, so the above does not apply ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Football like i used to know it died way back when sky took over anyways. It will come full circle soon enough anyways and hopefully bring some life back into the stadia

I'm not a barstool though, so the above does not apply ;)

I would be worried if you were a barstool! The question would stand, how the feck can a barstool post on an internet forum.:p

I would be worried if you were a barstool! The question would stand, how the feck can a barstool post on an internet forum.:p

boo :p:D

Highsider wrote: »
    Football like i used to know it died way back when sky took over anyways.

]
    Highsider wrote: »
    It will come full circle soon enough anyways and hopefully bring some life back into the stadia

I wouldn't be waiting around for it in the EPL tbh, especially with measures being brought in by clubs e.g. Middlesborough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Sounded like a great atmosphere in the San Siro tonight btw.

No i meant, who the hell wants to watch their team while sitting down, be it in the stadium or not. Obviously some people do but for me, it can't be done. I can't enjoy a Shels game while sitting down, if you're sitting down then you're just not into enough (although their would be some exceptions)

No i meant, who the hell wants to watch their team while sitting down, be it in the stadium or not. Obviously some people do but for me, it can't be done. I can't enjoy a Shels game while sitting down, if you're sitting down then you're just not into enough (although their would be some exceptions)

Can't agree there. You can alternate, sit down and stand up for different bits. But terraces should be available for people who want to stand. No reason why a properly organised terrace can't be allowed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

this an LoI love in thread again?

i think that in the context of exactly wat that particular section of fans were doing is a bit of a no no. banging plastic signs? have a sing song instead lads

Quint wrote: »
    Can't agree there. You can alternate, sit down and stand up for different bits. But terraces should be available for people who want to stand. No reason why a properly organised terrace can't be allowed.

Thats fair enough, what i said was my opinion on it. I'm not saying thats the way it is full stop or anything.
    Jazzy wrote: »
    i think that in the context of exactly wat that particular section of fans were doing is a bit of a no no. banging plastic signs? have a sing song instead lads

You see right here is exactly what i'm talking about. 20/25 years ago on a terrace you wouldn't be able to hold a conversation with you're mate standing beside you, because the noise was so defening. Anything that could be banged to make noise, was, to go along with the singing. Now you're only allowed sing in certain sections of grounds, you're not allowed sing certain songs, you're not allowed stand up etc and the vast majority of the home fans will actually want it that way.

Thats fair enough, what i said was my opinion on it. I'm not saying thats the way it is full stop or anything.

You see right here is exactly what i'm talking about. 20/25 years ago on a terrace you wouldn't be able to hold a conversation with you're mate standing beside you, because the noise was so defening. Anything that could be banged to make noise, was, to go along with the singing. Now you're only allowed sing in certain sections of grounds, you're not allowed sing certain songs, you're not allowed stand up etc and the vast majority of the home fans will actually want it that way.

Terraces are great. Having the option of going to them is defo the ideal situation. I stand up for some games, but sometimes if you're not in the mood for whatever reason sitting is good. The great thing about terrace is that everyone has to stand, and it's almost like a singing section, so you know what you're getting when you go there. Sort of like behind the goals in italy with all the ultras.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

and as well as that stadium tragedies have also deteriorated.
    good science at work

I only stood on the terraces just the once before the introduction of all seater stadiums,the way terraces went in England was awful imo, they reminded me of zoo pens,people hearded in and out of them and then at full time they would be hosed down, IF terraces were ever to come back I know we would not have fences(actually Arsenal refused to put up fences in the 80's and as a result were never allowed to hold FA Cup semis), however I also think think they would have to keep it all ticket as the potential is still their for too many people to turn up on the day. Terraces would also be much harder to police althouh as things stand in England now their is little or no trouble these days, do people think terraces might lead to a return of trouble?

Terraces would also be much harder to police althouh as things stand in England now their is little or no trouble these days, do people think terraces might lead to a return of trouble?

One policing objection would be that it's harder to identify a trouble maker from CCTV if you can't associate them with a seat, but you could get around that by having CCTV as punters head through the turnstiles and linking that to the ticket stub.

Terracing works, there'd be no need for the entire ground to be changed, but I'd love for the lower Park Lane at Spurs to be all terraced (or maybe half Park Lane, half Shelfside lower). I'd also like a standing option when I went on my travels.

I don't see the footballing authorities, or the clubs for that matter, being in favour...the sort of person who wants to stand at a game tends to be foul-mouthed, likes a drink, likes a smoke etc etc...we're a dying breed...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I think we're being disingenuous about the noise thing.

Anybody who was brought up pre-Sky and went to matches associated it with a lot more noise than you hear now. The odd time I might end up beside a kid with one of those horrible horns (or whatever) at a match and it is a bit annoying, but I just ignore it. or perhaps move a little bit away. As do most fans. Your local discomfort is part of a larger atmosphere that helps the team.

I know there are exceptions, but the people that are complaining to stewards and causing those letters to be sent out, are probably a newer wave of fans that are not used to the noise, and perhaps not as likely to stick with the team through leaner times.

The family thing is always a misnomer too. As if most kids don't think bashing stuff and making a racket is class. I loved it when I saw it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement