Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom] - Getting a PSTN line to get ADSL

Options
  • 24-02-2009 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

Just onto eircom again there about not been able to get broadband even tho the local exchange is enabled. I'm talking to a guy who seems to actually know something & can talk without reading of a specificed list of answers. He is saying we could try a pspn line to see if we can get bb. There's a special offer on this at the moment where it's free. The only cost is the line rental for approx 10 days while we have this second line so cost implications about 9euro he says. Any feed back from anyone? Is this guy right in what he's saying?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

What's a pspn line? Are you sure he isn't trying to sell another PSTN line in the hope the second line will work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Sounds like you are being lead up the garden path. A new line install is 125 euro, and I'm not aware of this being free at the moment. Occasionally they give free line activation, where the line is already in place. It would likely take eircom a lot longer than 10 days to test the line (going by past information).

Never heard of PSPN lines either, could it be he was talking about ISDN? The only thing I can find with a Google search is Public Service Phone Numbers, or persephin (PSPN), a human neurotrophic factor, both of which would be meaningless to getting broadband.

I would be 99.99999% positive you are being lied to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭jaxy999

It's PSTN. I heard him wrong first time. Ya that's what he's selling me but it is free, there's a special offer on at the moment. So is this just a waste of time? He said it does not guarantee i'll get bb. My interpretation of how it works it an engineer will set up this 2nd line, see if bb works on it & if it does this will be the new line! (sorry my lingo is very very basic. My brain gets frazzled with all these tech terms)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've edited the thread titile :)

Cabaal wrote: »
    I've edited the thread titile :)

Hey thanks, I was about to do that, but in work so jumping between this & work!! That's why I really need bb at home!

• Advertisement

Free line installs right now, even when there's no line work in place, this must the first time they've done that since the Telecom Eireann days.

It would be worth trying out, though in order to be sure you'll pay nothing, or very little, order broadband with the line. If broadband isn't possible, they can't charge you. Also, if there's a pairgain on the new line, they'd have to remove it, where if you order broadband after the line is installed, then they may not remove it. A pairgain = no broadband for you.

Worth trying.

It does sound kind of strange that an eircom engineer will call to my house & set up this pstn line FOC !! Hmmm I should have this in writing.

I got a new tele number & a/c no. regarding this aswell. Re ordering broadband at same time, if my existing no. if red re bb then they're not going to process an order without it having passed the bb test??

The offer is on the eircom website. Doesn't say how long it's going for, so be quick.

For ordering broadband, don't mention your current line at all. You ring and order a new line for broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

PSTN = Public Switched Telephone Network AKA a plain ordinary phone line. :)

Advertisement