Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monorail for Athlone

• 24-02-2009 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭

Ok i know this is not going to happen but..

How about a Monorail from Monksland to Kilmartins. Perfect to keep the people shopping in town, and bring people around the town. Would also allow for the possible pedestrianisation of Church street

Yes i know we cant afford it
    Yes i know the town is too small to get one
    And yes i know there needs to be cars allowed on Church Street

But lets just have a discussion outside of these points. Its madcap suggestions like mine above that led to the building of the Spire in Dublin!

:pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭CGorman

Hmm... I do think that the spire cost about as much as a half miles worth of Monorail track! Haha!

I personally believe the following points:
    > Population of 15,000+: Can support a basic 1-2 route bus service
    > Population of 25,000+: Can support more extensive bus service
    > Population of 40,000+: Can necessitate 1-2 dedicated bus lanes
    > Population of 50,000+: Can support a single Luas line
    > Population of 100,000+: Can support two intersecting Luas lines

However this all depends on population density, tourism volume, hinterland population, land prices and historic structural planning.

I firmly believe Athlone & Mullingar will grow to 40,000-50,000 population each over the course of the next few decades - but it could be 20, 30 or 40yrs. So I think the challenge is that we today plan new streets, area redevelopments and road layouts with the future in mind - for example we should be ensuring ring road widths (in Mullingars case) are sufficent for upgrading to dedicated bus lanes + 2 lane traffic; and we should be ensuring sufficent urban development takes place (like developing brownfield/greenfield sites between Athlone Centre and Monksland.)

In the medium term, before going for pie-in-the-sky, I think we should be aiming for:

> Southern by-pass of Athlone town (behind Golden Island with bridge over river)
    > Improved bus frequencies between Athlone-Mullingar (to support more commuting)
    > Re-opening of Athlone-Moate-Mullingar train line
    > Support the development of the Airport in Horseleap and ensure rail/bus connectivity to Athlone, Mullingar, Longford, Tullamore
    > Develop a second bridge accross the shannon (in addition to the motorway and my earlier bypass proposal)
    > Develop a park&ride bus service to both Mullingar & Athlone (e.g. build large carparks outside town centre at the terminus of local bus routes into the centres)
    > Protect limited green spaces in urban areas (Mullingar Park, Athlone Park)
    > Forward plan for upgrades to bus lanes, luas track in all future road developments
    > Severe restrictions to all housing/retail proposals significantly outside town centre and allow more high density development.

Anyways thats my two cents!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Well if Brockway, Ogdenville and North Haverbrook can have a monorail, I dont see why Athlone cant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

I think it would be much better in stereo myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Yeah, the lack of a monorail is definitely athlones biggest problem:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Black NG-60-90

Maybe a metro system would be a better option. You could get the underground from Willow Park into Golden Island to do the Shopping and then maybe head out on the Coosan line to visit a few friends. And all journeys would take about 15 seconds :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Is there a chance the track could bend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

CGorman wrote: »
    Improved bus frequencies between Athlone-Mullingar (to support more commuting)
    Re-opening of Athlone-Moate-Mullingar train line

I propose we merge these two: pave over the Athlone-Mullingar railway line and run an express bus service on it. Much cheaper than rail.

Good idea Zube! Any suggestions for a mini-Space Port, or Rocket Launch facility?... maybe we could put it in Drumraney or somewhere! Haha.... its great to dream lads... but lets not forget were in a recession... monorail in athlone... well lets see how the dublin metro gets on first!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

Talk about having a one track mind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

CGorman wrote: »
    > Population of 50,000+: Can support a single Luas line

ITS A MONORAIL! I refuse to keep our language alive using the life support of these "cute" titles for our public transport.

However, on reflection, now that Elan is narrowing its fleet, this idea looks about as useless as that lemon shaped rock over there.......

ITS A MONORAIL! I refuse to keep our language alive using the life support of these "cute" titles for our public transport.

Eek! Someone did'nt like gaeilge at school!
    this idea looks about as useless as that lemon shaped rock over there.......

Hmm... replace "this idea" with "My, Veryangreymans idea" and I think the sentence reads better :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

but main street's still all cracked and broken!

but main street's still all cracked and broken!

So true...In fact, the more i think about it, the more ours is similar to Springfield.

Except the International airport. I mean seriously, what kind of town has only 1 school and yet can hold an International airport?

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,642 ✭✭✭roosterman71

So true...In fact, the more i think about it, the more ours is similar to Springfield.

Except the International airport. I mean seriously, what kind of town has only 1 school and yet can hold an International airport?

:cool:

Knock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

The ring came off my pudding can!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

its never gonna happen!!

if we could get a late night shuutle bus service itd be a great start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Mono... d'oh.

The ring came off my pudding can!

And before anyone asks, I was not sent here by the devil :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Anyone got a picture of the tube map from Gerties?

• Advertisement

One step closer with the new bridge. A man can dream!

Advertisement