Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed - leaving rented apartment

Options
  • 24-02-2009 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have been renting an apartment in Tallaght for about a year and a half. The original contract I signed was for a lease of 12 months. When the 12 months was up, we never heard from the letting agency, and as we didn't want to sign up for another year, we didn't contact them either. A few months later, they sent us a new contract to sign up for another 12 months - we did not sign it, and never sent it back to them, and we have heard nothing since.

According to the original contract, once the 12 months was up, we could move out so long as we gave them 1 months notice. I am looking to hand my notice into them soon, and was wondering if there is any comeback seeing as they did send us another contract, but we did not sign it?

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

After the 12 months was up the terms of the lease are still in place but it then goes from month to month(Or how ever you were paying your rent, monthly,weekly,yearly etc..). In the lease it probably says how much notice you must give.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

After the fixed term you are covered by the Tenancy Act. You are not required to sign a new release so no affect there.

See link to threshold for details about ending tenancy.
    http://www.threshold.ie/page.asp?menu=70&page=256

Note days of notice required (42 days) and the format for letter etc. Threshold is the best place for tenant info or questions. You tend to get a lot of conflicting advice (which while well intended is often unreliable) here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Lolw

Thanks guys - thought that was the case. Just have a feeling they're going to try anything to keep hold of my deposit (the apartments i'm in are practically empty, so i'm guessing they'll go to any kind of lengths!!)

Advertisement