Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to rescue/rehome a kitten

Options
  • 24-02-2009 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hope I'm not posting this in the wrong place!

I live in the Newbridge area and I am looking to rescue/rehome a kitten. I'm being specific about kitten as we have a dog and a guinea pig and a 5 yr old girl so I want the kitten to be able to get used to them. I have done some research into how to go about introducing the animals to each other so I'm hoping that won't be a major problem.

Can anyone help me with details of rescues/kittens in need of homes that might be in this area? or is you have any reasons why I am insane to do this, fire away! :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

At this time of year kittens will be hard to find so unless you want an older cat you might have to wait a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭SmokeyJo84

i was recently down in the kildare animal foundation looking to rehome a cat and i was not impressed with the place. I found the staff unprofessional- never answered their phones, obviously never checked their voice mail and they were unfriendly when I got to the place.

The cats were kept in a room in the house that stank of cat piss, no litter tray as far as i could see and there was only one big bowl of food left out.

Having saying that, the animals did seem in good condition. They had no kittens the time i was down there! I picked out one little cat, filled out forms to see was I eligible to take on a cat, and they said they would get in touch for the home visit. I waited for their calls, I called them etc..and nothing!

I went to the DSPCA instead and picked out one gorgeous cat (rather HE picked ME!! :)). The girl there said they are trying to rehome all the cats they have now to make room for kitten season. I would highly recommend them, but realise its a bit of a trek for ya!

I know of a place in sallins, but have no idea what they're called or what they are like!
    A friend of mine was looking to rehome a cat a while back and she called up her local vet, told them to keep her in mind if they had a kitten that needed rehoming- so that might be an option!

This prob isn't much help, but just thought I'd give u a heads up on that place

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

I've edited my post, sorry about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Eyeofthetiger

Thanks anyway Munster Gal! I was going to head down on Saturday but I don't think I will now!

Whereabouts is DSPCA SmokeyJo84?
    Anywhere from Newbridge towards Dublin/East Meath/Louth is on the route I travel often so I'm willing to check out places that might be near! Do DSPCA do homechecks? If so how long does it take for them to be done?

Thanks to the both of ye for your help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 catzrus

Dublin SPCA, Mount Venus Road, Rathfarnham, Dublin 16, Ireland
    Tel: +353 1 493 5502/4 | Fax: +353 1 493 7674 | Email: info@dspca.ie
    Also. www.dspca.ie

Homechecks for cats are not carried out as far as I know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭SmokeyJo84

nope, dspca only does home checks for dogs. they do ring you a few days after you bring your kitty home,just to make sure everything is ok.

You can bring the cat home straight away if you have a cage as long as the cat has been in the shelter for 5 working days (if it's a cat that was found on the streets, just to give the origional owners time to get in contact to find their missing moggie).

They are all neutered, microchipped, womred and defleaed before you take them home and it costs around 60-80 euros!

really cannot recommend them highly enough..its very hard to pick just one cat tho! and dont get me started on the dogs! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kipperkiernan

Please let me know if you manage to find a cat. I live in Kicullen & am thinking a getting a cat. I had to put my cat to sleep yesterday and am toying with the idea of getting a new one. They make such good companions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

catzrus wrote: »
    Homechecks for cats are not carried out as far as I know

Home visits for cats (well kittens) are done by the DSPCA. Im a home checker volunteer. Its done a few weeks after the adoption. Its not a big deal, just someone calls to make sure you're getting on ok and you havent changed your mind! Theres a sanctuary in Collon too that may be nearer for you!

Advertisement