Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Momory & Graphics Help

Options
  • 24-02-2009 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    At the risk of sounding like an incredibly ignorant fool, can some one tell me how I go about picking memory and graphics that will suit my current system?

I currently have:
    Dell XPS 420
    Intel Q6600 Quad Core, 2.40GHz FSB, 8MB cache
    3GB Dual Channel DDR2 667MHz
    Single 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT
    I think the Power Supply is 400/450W

The bit of research I have done leads me to believe this RAM will suit my system:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=363360
    But if anyone has any better suggestions I’d love to hear them.

As for the graphics card goes, I haven’t a clue what to look out for. I can tell you that there’s only one x16 PCI Express slot, so I think I’m right in saying SLI is out the window?

Finally, I know it was a stupid idea buying a Dell, but at the time I didn’t put any thought into upgrading.

Anyway, cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

Do you really need more RAM? What operating system are you using? If you are not using a 64bit OS then there's not much point in putting in more RAM. With 3GB RAM already and a 512MB graphics card that is almost right on the limit as far as 32bit systems go.

You are right that SLI is out if you only have one PCIe slot. Pretty much any PCIe graphics card will fit in the slot but you have to take power into account and 450W is not great. You would also have to make sure you have the right power connectors. AFAIK most new graphics cards use a 6+8pin PCIe connector. Altho that could be just the more powerful ones. Not sure if the Dell PSU would have standard connections.

What do you use the machine for?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

Hey h8red,
    What I was hoping for with the RAM wasn’t capacity, just speed. 667Mhz as opposed to 800Mhz I’m only using a 32bit Vista so I’d be maxing out at 3GB. Would this difference in speed offer much increase in performance?

I wouldn’t be against the idea of upgrading the PSU if it meant I could get a stronger graphics card but does Dell use standard parts?

I use the PC mainly for gaming and watching movies/TV shows. But I also do some light video editing and photo-shopping, nothing on a professional scale or anything, more my own messing than anything else.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What resolutions are you using that can strangle an 8800GT? :p

Seriously though, what brand is the PSU and what is its rated current (should be on a big sticker on its side)? Give us the amperage or wattage of the +12V rail(s). And do you have any spare PCIe connectors or do you just have the one currently going into the 8800GT? You could probably upgrade to a HD4870 1GB but it depends on whether Dell gave you a good (e.g. Delta) brand PSU and what stepping Q6600 you have (use CPU-z to check) - older ones use up a lot of power even at stock speeds (130W TDP IIRC)

Are you into overclocking? OCing the Q6600 could give you a good bit of mileage but it depends heavily of what options are available in the motherboard's BIOS. Usually an OEM mobo would have most overclocking options locked but we're talking about an XPS here so there may be some tweaking options and room for improvement, especially if Dell gave you a non-stock cooler.

The same limitation applies to the memory - if you can't overvolt the RAM to 2.0-2.2V in the BIOS you can't use low-latency PC8500 (you'd have to use "native" 1066MHz DDR2, which have much higher latencies). In either case don't blow tons of money, the top two issues are more important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

1. Any video card should work, as a general rule Dell power supplies are under-rated and reliable - I can't remember the exact brand but it's a good one, and Dell always rate their psu's in regard to sustained output - not peak output as most other supplies do.

2. 3GB of 800mhz vs 3gb of 667mhz would be a pretty much worthless upgrade unless you find the 667mhz is hindering overclocking. In terms of day to day performance in applications and games, at stock CPU speeds, 3gb 800 vs 3gb 667 would be negligible really.

edit: Just remembered a name, believe they used to be Channel Well PSUs. Not sure if they still are. Channel Well also make a lot of Corsair branded psu's with Seasonic.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

edit: Just remembered a name, believe they used to be Channel Well PSUs. Not sure if they still are. Channel Well also make a lot of Corsair branded psu's with Seasonic.

I don't know all of them but Dell's main PSU OEM used to be Delta, who know their stuff. Nowadays Delta trades in US/Europe under the Antec brand but the OEM units might still be called Delta. CWT (Channel Well) were also badged as Antecs a few years back (before they got good) and got them into quite a spot of bother as their substandard capacitors (Fuhjyyu brand) always detonated under high temperatures, frying all connected hardware :eek: After that Antec switched to mostly Seasonic and Delta and CWT sorted themselves out and made a name for themselves in the West supplying several PSU "makers" with high-quality single-rail models, notably Corsair (who also use single-rail Seasonics... boy do they get around :))

• Advertisement
Advertisement