Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Note for Closed-Down Store?

Options
  • 24-02-2009 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was given a gift of a handbag from the Guess shop on Sth. Anne Street (Dublin) at Christmas but decided to swap the bag and get a credit note. I went up to the store today but it has since closed down (on 18th Jan according to google). This was the only Guess outlet in Ireland afaik and I've tried to find contact details for the company but can't - the website doesn't seem to have any email details.

If I do manage to find some way of getting in touch with the are the company obliged to honour the credit note? I know that some department stores stock Guess accessories but I would have thought they aren't obliged to honour Guess store credit?

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

g'em wrote: »
    I know that some department stores stock Guess accessories but I would have thought they aren't obliged to honour Guess store credit?

You never know, it might be worth a shot trying with them? AFAIK Arnotts have a large Guess department.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Hi all,

I was given a gift of a handbag from the Guess shop on Sth. Anne Street (Dublin) at Christmas but decided to swap the bag and get a credit note. I went up to the store today but it has since closed down (on 18th Jan according to google). This was the only Guess outlet in Ireland afaik and I've tried to find contact details for the company but can't - the website doesn't seem to have any email details.

If I do manage to find some way of getting in touch with the are the company obliged to honour the credit note? I know that some department stores stock Guess accessories but I would have thought they aren't obliged to honour Guess store credit?

I don't think another shop would be obliged to honour a credit note under these circumstances. You could try though I suppose.

Do you know if the company has gone into liquidation?
    If it has you need to find the name of the liquidator (search on www.cro.ie or ring them and ask who is the appointed liquidator). You can register your voucher with the liquidator and if there are funds available you might be reimbursed for your voucher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭daltonr

You're basically screwed. You can join the queue, but at best you'll get back a fraction of what the note was worth if anything.

Welcome to being a consumer in a recession.

Stores carrying Guess products aren't obliged (or remotely likely) to accept a credit note from a different retailer. Still it doesn't hurt to ask.

Sorry, I know, not the news you wanted.

-Rd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

You're basically an unsecured creditor of whoever the Guess franchisee is. You're unlikely to get anything back or if you do it would be a small percentage of the original value of the credit note.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There was a thread very similar to your's here recently. (Link).

Maybe you could eBay the bag?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

dudara wrote: »
    There was a thread very similar to your's here recently. (Link).

Maybe you could eBay the bag?

From my reading of the OP, I think the bag had already been exchanged for a credit note :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Possibly good news - I think Guess? in Arnotts is a concession, owned & operated by Guess Ireland who also owned & operated the Sth Anne st. store.

No harm in calling into the Guess dept in Arnotts and see if they will honour the credit note. If both were owned by the same company then you will have no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Welease wrote: »
    From my reading of the OP, I think the bag had already been exchanged for a credit note
    Exactly :(

Many, many thanks for all the replies folks, it confirms what I'd thought. I'll keep trying to track down a contact point and in the mean time...
    darc wrote: »
    Possibly good news - I think Guess? in Arnotts is a concession, owned & operated by Guess Ireland who also owned & operated the Sth Anne st. store.
    this is definitely worth a try!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

You were actually lucky in the first place to get a credit note as the retailer is under no obligation to do so for something returned as "I just don't want it".

Unfortunately, that came back to bite you in the ass when you tried to make use of it.

I guess you just should have been grateful for the gift ;)

It is what it's.

oneweb wrote: »
    You were actually lucky in the first place to get a credit note as the retailer is under no obligation to do so for something returned as "I just don't want it".
    The vast majority of high-street stores and large retailers, although not legally under obligation, will happily exchange goods in kind. After all, they are not returning any money, simply exchanging one product for another without any loss to their pocket. They stay happy, the customer stays happy, it makes good economic sense. Besides, according to the receipt they were quite happy to do so (you'll find this to be the case on most receipts in fact).
    oneweb wrote:
    Unfortunately, that came back to bite you in the ass when you tried to make use of it.
    I don't see how anything has "bitten me in the ass" seeings how I did nothing untoward in the first place. It is unlucky though.
    oneweb wrote:
    I guess you just should have been grateful for the gift ;)
    Is it just me or are sanctimonious posts like this just getting really boring at this stage?

• Advertisement

I just rang Arnotts to speak to someone in the Accessories department and it seems there's quiet a few people in the same boat - apparently one lady was intending to ring Joe Duffy about it!! Unfortunately they can't honour it and I don't think any other department store will be able to either. I'm sure I'll just have to chalk it up to experience and bad luck but still, highly disappointing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Try registering with the liquidator. You may get a small fraction of what you're owed back. It's a long shot but worth a try maybe.

It was just very bad luck. It's a lesson to us all to spend any vouchers we have as soon as possible though. In this climate you never know who will be next to go belly up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭catch88

I just rang Arnotts to speak to someone in the Accessories department and it seems there's quiet a few people in the same boat - apparently one lady was intending to ring Joe Duffy about it!! Unfortunately they can't honour it and I don't think any other department store will be able to either. I'm sure I'll just have to chalk it up to experience and bad luck but still, highly disappointing :(

Arnotts definitely can't accept the Guess voucher. Has nothing to do with them.

You could try to see if Guess have an online store which accepts the Euro voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

catch88 wrote: »
    Arnotts definitely can't accept the Guess voucher. Has nothing to do with them.
    earlier it was said
    darc wrote: »
    This is becoming more common. I think arnotts or clerys have a sports section which is owned by another company too, it is like they are renting the space in the store, sort of like a shopping centre without walls. In debenhams I went to pay for an item and was told the section "was a different shop", like a small section only selling levis or some other brand.
    You could try to see if Guess have an online store which accepts the Euro voucher.
    Sounds more like a handwritten credit note or at least one specific to that shop.

If buying vouchers or putting deposits down use a CC as you can have some comeback then.

rubadub wrote: »

This is becoming more common. I think arnotts or clerys have a sports section which is owned by another company too, it is like they are renting the space in the store.

Its called a concession and has been happening for ions.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Its called a concession and has been happening for ions.

It is one to watch out for these days. People might feel confident getting a credit note which is apparently from a major well established store, thinking it is really for arnotts when it is really a store within arnotts.

rubadub wrote: »
    It is one to watch out for these days. People might feel confident getting a credit note which is apparently from a major well established store, thinking it is really for arnotts when it is really a store within arnotts.

I work in Arnotts.

The vouchers authorized by arnotts (one 4 all, own store voucher, golf vouchers, bonus bonds, visa gift cards etc) work in every part of the store including concessions.

Advertisement