Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemate antics damaging bed

Options
  • 24-02-2009 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Myself and another housemate own the lease on a house. One of the tenants has damaged her bed quite considerably. The wooden base is broken so the matress dips down to one side. She actually boasted about breaking her bed as a result of her boyfriend staying over.....and we hear too!! We took a look at the bed and it is quite bad.The beds in the house are quite cheap and not the best quality. Our lease is up shortly so I am concerned the landlady might take the cost of the bed off the deposit and we might get stung for it.

The girl is moving out shortly so I would rather address it now before she moves out as she is not a good housemate and I don't think she would care if we had to pay for her damaging the property when the landlady looks at the house when our lease is up.

Does anyone who is landlord/lady or fellow renter have any opinions on this or is this something which could be taken off our deposit? Any advice would be most appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

How much is your deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Of course it could be taken from your deposit. A broken bed, especially like that, doesn't fall under the standard use. You broke it, you pay for it (or your housemate pays for it).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

just tell the landlord. he would notice it whenever you all are leaving anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Noc81 wrote: »
    The girl is moving out shortly so I would rather address it now before she moves out as she is not a good housemate and I don't think she would care if we had to pay for her damaging the property when the landlady looks at the house when our lease is up.
    Did she pay a deposit? Price a bed, and see if her deposit would cover it. If it does, take it out of her deposit after she leaves. If she didn't have a deposit, you'll know next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Noc81

Thank you for the advice. I guess I was wondering if I was being unreasonable charging for the price of a new bed
    given the fact that this girl didn't think it not to be a big deal and so funny. I can take out of her deposit which I'm sure she
    have a problem with . I haven't lived with someone before who has no respect for other people's property and is a dirty slob.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

gis her no :)

yeah best take it out of deposit , after all you have the lease no her , soon see her mood change when she has to act like a grown up

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Noc81 wrote: »
    I can take out of her deposit which I'm sure she
    have a problem with
    ONLY after she leaves, yeah? Otherwise, she may cause more "take it out of my deposit why don't you" damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

Yup, take it out of her deposit. If the LL holds her deposit, tell him about it. Why should you get stuck with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭yellowcurl

Show it to the LL before she leaves. It's her room, her bed that she was sleeping in, she def should have to pay. It's not like it's a couch or something in a communal area that you all could be held accountable for.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Fatloss08 wrote: »
    gis her no :)
    Go letch somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Calmly and clearly, tell her to sort the bed. If it isn't sorted when she moves out, take it from her deposit.

If you want, get the landlord's opinion, but a landlord is likely to take a harder line with your deposit than hers.

Advertisement