Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mickey Rourke - whats your views??

• 24-02-2009 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

I have seen The Wrestler, thought it was brilliant. I was gutted that he didnt get an oscar for it.
    I also saw him on Jonathen Ross, and i really enjoyed the interview.
    I cant believe some of the roles he has turned down...Pulp Fiction!!!

Whats everyones views about him?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I like him.

He's an interesting character who takes steroids and in general is a bit crazy.

Couldn't give a fiddle about the Oscars though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

I like him
    I saw his interview on Graham Norton and he was hilarious - he spent his time trying to chat up Jessica Biel.
    The thing i really like about him is the fact that he messed up - has admited he messed up but is willing to start over to try and rebuild his career once more - great comeback story.
    Pity about his face he was once a good looking chap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭UnderpantsGnome

I haven't seen him in anything.

I haven't seen The Wrestler.
    I also didn't see him on Jonathen Ross.
    I have seen Pulp Fiction.

This isn't very helpful, is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I haven't seen him in anything.

I haven't seen The Wrestler.
    I also didn't see him on Jonathen Ross.
    I have seen Pulp Fiction.

This isn't very helpful, is it?
    Sin City?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭MILF

Wasn't he in 9 and a half weeks back before the facelift??
    I like him. He's quirky and is a v good actor! Didnt see him on Wossy though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭UnderpantsGnome

unreggd wrote: »
    Sin City?

Never seen it. I IMDb'd him and haven't seen any of the 58 movies that he's credited with being in.

Maybe I should get out more! (Or stay in and watch more movies.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Thought he was great in the Wrestler. Amazing actor. Very good in Sin City too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sammyv

Yes, talking about sin city....
    Why are people calling The Wrestler his comeback, he was in Sin City!!!!
    I suppose it wasnt the lead role.
    Yes, he was a good looking man, pity he took the plastic surgery route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

I totally would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Orls81 wrote: »
    Yes, he was a good looking man, pity he took the plastic surgery route.

The plastic surgery was necessary after he had 9 pro boxing fights in the 90's.

By all accounts he was nightmare to work and this is why his career went the way it did. Haven't seen the wrestler yet, but he was the best thing in Sin City.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The guy is a mess, I really don't know how he even pulled off a role as physical as ''The Wrestler'', any interview it looks like he can barely walk without a strong possibility of falling over. He's pretty much unrecognizable now compared to the likes of Angel Heart.

Definitely a character, really enjoyed his interview on Ross, he should fire his stylist though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭JaneyP

He seems like a very cool guy! Pity about his face, he was very hot before he got the surgery done

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

He actually looks better now than he did a couple of years back, took time for the surgery to settle down and hes finally taking off the shades in interviews now. Was a pity he let himself get so smashed up with the boxing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Wrong forum surely, if the discussion on his acting, rather than his appearence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

He is a god to me, have adored him since his acting career first time around. I love Angel Heart, probably the first time I saw him. And the comeback in Sin City.
    I adore Mickey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I think he is great. He didn't win the Oscar because
    1st. The academy does not like wrestling.
    2nd. Penn was portraying a gay which will get more credit iin Hollywood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Rourke is great. Angel Heart is a classic. Johnny Handsome....Brilliant movie. 9 1/2 weeks....phworr. Sin City, he made it. He did **** up according to Hollywood. Thats what made the Wrestler so great. Its a comparison to Rourkes real life struggle. I think he's great.

In a refreshing way he doesn't give a flying ****e about the hollywood machine. As for his odd look, granted he's a bit ****ed up. Plastic surgery after numerous boxing matches didn't help. At least he not a generic Brad Pitt blond american toothed lookalike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

He's a great actor but I would be concerned that due to his looks his choice of work will be limited. Which is a shame because he really was out of this world in The Wrestler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

queen-mise wrote: »
    I adore Mickey

Lol, yeah I heard that about you. . . just kidding!

I think he was great in The Wrestler but I felt like Sean Penn deserved the Oscar for a truly outstanding performance in Milk.

It will be really interesting to see where Rourke's career goes from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

He has chosen some stinkers in his time but when he gets it right he's a fine actor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭fugazied

Very talented actor, but yes a bit of a nutcase. 3.gif I like those kinds of actors though, he obsesses over his work like Russel Crowe, Christian Bale does I think. He takes acting VERY seriously, but has some addiction problems probably...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sammyv

Fellow actors seem to really like him...did you's hear the story about sly stallone (he told it on jonathan ross), sly wanted him in a movie, and they wouldnt pay mickey enough money, so he turned it down, but then he got a call back, saying they would pay him the amount he wanted.
    He heard afterwards that sly stumped up the rest of the money.

Also the song 'The Wrestler', Bruce Springsteen wrote it for the film...just cos Mickey Rourke was in it.

Even after he f**ked up, people still love and respect him.

Did his dog die???? i heard this, dont know if its true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

His performance in The Wrestler is phenomenal he is back in Hollywood's good books so he will get better movie opportunities

I loved him in Angel Heart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

He was amazing in "Hero" alonside Enrique Iglesias.

Advertisement