Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Docks schedule

Options
  • 24-02-2009 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭

Is there any set times or schedule available which shows what times ships are coming and going form the Docks?

I'd like to be down there some day to see what goes on when a big ship is coming in / leaving.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not sure, but perhaps ringing the harbour master?
    Maybe here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Is there any set times or schedule available which shows what times ships are coming and going form the Docks?

I'd like to be down there some day to see what goes on when a big ship is coming in / leaving.

Ships and boats can enter and leave the docks from 2 hours before to 2 hours after high tide. Ship movements used to be in the advertiser on the same page as the weather. Not sure if it still is as I have'nt looked in a while and I don't have a copy handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

vulcan - Incorrect, sorry

Ships movements in/out of the docks ONLY occour between 2 hours before high tide, and high tide. At high tide, the gates shut.

OP - Sorry I can't help you with your specific query, but a good way to tell if there's gonna be ship movements in-bound is if you see a boat anchored off Salthill, you know it's waiting for high tide to come in. So when you see a ship, check the time of high tide and be around the Docks 2 hours before that (Takes a while for Pilot boat to go out, make contact and return so realisticly boat will enter about 1 hour before high tide)

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Check out this website about Galway Docks there are great pictures there of ships that were in Galway.

www.galwayships.com

Click on the movements page at the top and you will see what ships are due in, its updated as the info comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

JohnCleary wrote: »
    vulcan - Incorrect, sorry

Ships movements in/out of the docks ONLY occour between 2 hours before high tide, and high tide. At high tide, the gates shut.

Hope this helps

JC you're correct, don't know what I was thinking of when I wrote that!

• Advertisement
Advertisement