Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to become a Mod

Options
  • 24-02-2009 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,960 ✭✭✭✭

If you see a forum that doesn't have regular mods. i.e they are very traffic forums that nearly run themselves, is it possible to apply to become a mod, or do you have to be selected?

I won't name any particular forums in case any mods think I am singling them out but you know what I mean. Some of the regional forums are very low traffic and its rare to see any mod interference/involvement.

How does the mod selection/allocation process work?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Be a lickarse who never trolls basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,960 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

CHD wrote: »
    Rules me out so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

You have to be a certain kind of person to want to be a mod on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

You have to kill another mod.

Serious answer: Historically you don't ask to be made a mod. It's don't call us, we'll call you. Asking to be made mod was usually the best way of not becoming one.

I think that may be changing now as the site is becoming more professional and consistent. If there's a forum that looks like it's undermoderated and you are a decent contributing level headed poster in that forum with a reasonably clean ban/infraction history, I wouldn't say there's any harm in PMing the relevant category mod or even a mod of the forum to ask if they need an extra hand.

^Just my own opinions. I may be talking through my arse. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Always try and be the first to say Did you report it/Did you PM the mod in a feedback thread.

When a feedback furore erupts about a particular forum and you realise that you have never, ever posted in there: redouble your efforts to post as much as possible in the feedback thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

You used to have to do the AMP test but now that he's no longer with us i think e-head is how you get it now.....

Kiera wrote: »
    You used to have to do the AMP test but now that he's no longer with us i think e-head is how you get it now.....
    Your E-Head mustn't be too great if you are only a HMOD ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

If you see a forum that doesn't have regular mods. i.e they are very traffic forums that nearly run themselves, is it possible to apply to become a mod, or do you have to be selected?

I won't name any particular forums in case any mods think I am singling them out but you know what I mean. Some of the regional forums are very low traffic and its rare to see any mod interference/involvement.

You can be active in a forum with out being active.

Rabies wrote: »
    I know but in one particular forum I spotted spam that was posted a few days ago and it was there today with no infraction or no action taken. This seemed to encourage another poster to also post their own spam which has now resulted in two threads that should've been taken care of/deleted.

P.S I reported both.

• Advertisement

Rabies wrote: »

Confucius?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Your E-Head mustn't be too great if you are only a HMOD ;)
    Seems to be that bit better than yours ;)

Kiera wrote: »
    Seems to be that bit better than yours ;)
    touché

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not true, I've trolled from time to time and I got banned from After Hours for bloody ages... :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

stovelid wrote: »
    Confucius?

Basically you can be a mod of a forum without posting in the forum, you only need to keep an eye on things and act when needed.

I have to agree with this. I probably shouldn't say this where Javaboy can read it but in terms of AH I have gotten quiet a few infractions, and thats because I use that forum for fun and nought else. In almost every other forum I always try to contribute as much as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Common sense and objectivity are imo what's most required to be a Mod .

Being a mod allows you to say and elaborate that bit more than the average poster on some but not all subjects / topics .

In Moderation of course.;)

Cabaal wrote: »
    Basically you can be a mod of a forum without posting in the forum, you only need to keep an eye on things and act when needed.

Ouch. My lame joke deflated.

/crawls off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Varkov wrote: »
    You have to be a certain kind of person to want to be a mod on boards.

And You have to be a certain kind of person to be a feedback forum mod hater.

To answer your question Quazzie2002 new mods are appointed as there is a need for them by the admins, they are generally posters proposed by some of the other mods ( of which there are over 400 ).

Mods are only mods in the forum that they mod else were they are posters and if they troll
    they get banned like anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

18 posts and I havent been mentioned yet? I blame the recession!

• Advertisement

6th we don't want you to be a mod anymore, we want you to be an Admin!
    6th for Admin!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Pff.

The greatest trick I've ever pulled was convincing the site I'm not a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

stovelid wrote: »
    Ouch. My lame joke deflated.

/crawls off.

Its ok.
    I've got a box of fortune cookies to get through.

Some forums need guidance, others need steering, the rest need duct tape.

Different forums require different actions ans mods of a different temperate. Although an active mod is still required.

Mods do take holidays or lose net access, but usually we let the relevant people know for how long. Other mods drop of the radar and tell no one they're going. Those mods need to be culled and replacements found.

How is a mod found for a new forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Often the person who proposed the forum is made mod. That's not a hard and fast rule though.

After a new forum is created the admins will look for suggestions for someone to mod it. Usually forums will have at least two mods and a mix of an established mod and a new mod is often tried.

javaboy wrote: »
    Often the person who proposed the forum is made mod. That's not a hard and fast rule though.

Actually there has been a rule which is the EXACT opposite in place for quite
    some time to stop people proposing forums in order to be made a mod.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    To answer your question Quazzie2002 new mods are appointed as there is a need for them by the admins, they are generally posters proposed by some of the other mods ( of which there are over 400 ).

Does that mean there is no way for someone to put their name forward as a possible mod of a forum even though they know they could do a better job.

Just to add I am only talking about some low traffic forums and not any biggies or ones that require being an expert in the field

Does that mean there is no way for someone to put their name forward as a possible mod of a forum even though they know they could do a better job.

If a person is a good contributor and has been a part of the community there and has been reporting post then that rarely goes unnoticed and has often been the reason why their name get nominated.

Posters get asked to be a mod rather then put them selves forward.
    Just to add I am only talking about some low traffic forums and not any biggies or ones that require being an expert in the field

If you have an interest in those forums then post in them, report posts pm the mods and cat mod if you think something needs doing.

Just because a mod doesn't appear to you to have taken an mod action recently in a forum that doesn't' mean they haven't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Never say never, but I would suggest not doing it publicly...

That's like talking about Fight Club.

Advertisement