Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to become a Mod

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not going to pull any punches here: It's a meritocracy. This is the God's honest truth because there seems to be some mysticism about the whole thing.

When the need for a new mod arises, generally we rely on the outgoing moderator and/or their co-mods to come up with a list of possible replacements. Often the suggestions will be existing moderators but just as often they will be active posters that the moderator(s) has noticed to be a good solid poster on that forum with a level head.

Yes we do tend towards giving it to an existing mod, purely because they're known quantities, but we're not specifically loath to give it to non-mods. In fact loads of brand shiny new mods have been appointed recently.

Where a new forum has been created, we'll often appoint an existing moderator with an interest in that area and/or often a non-mod who has shown a significant interest in getting the forum set up.

Yes, your past conduct on the site may count against you. Known muppets are unlikely to be made into moderators. A number of "reformed" muppets have become moderators.

No, it's not perfect. Mistakes have been made and rectified.

We don't fill out a "Moderator Suitability Form", the moderators in question just use their judgement to say "Yay" or "Nay".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Ya have to drink lots of toilet duck.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

How to become a Mod ?

That's like soooooooo last century.

Becoming an SMod is where it's all at these days. :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It was cornbb's fault I was made mod as far as I remember.
    Plus AH is probably the only forum I regularly post in.
    Feels good tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I suppose that time I told that poster that he was "dope" under a thread I started to titled promote "rational discussion" rules me out from ever becoming a politics mod :(

It was a year ago though, Ive changed...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Now that amp is gone, do we need a new test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Perhaps it's time for a cull . Maybe a Coup d'état even ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Think about it OP: if you were stepping down as a mod and wanted to hand the reins over to someone who would take good care of the forum you have carefully tended, what sort of person would you look for?

seamus answered this perfectly, but in a nutshell, the job often goes to a consistent contributer who appears to be level-headed and stays out of trouble. Existing mods often get picked when moderaters are needed but fresh blood is often brought in too. The admins have the last word in deciding who gets the job but in the vast majority of cases they go along with the nomination of other moderators.

Officially, proposing a forum means that you don't get to moderate it but past experience would indicate that this is not the case in practice ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Varkov wrote: »
    You have to be a certain kind of person to want to be a mod on boards.
    Usually someone who's jealous and bitter they're not a mod (yep, there are people ACTUALLY jealous and bitter about not being mods). People who are asked to moderate tend not to bitch non stop about what kunts mods are, hence making them less likely to have wanted to be moderators in the first place - but they accept with a bit of encouragement.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

GatheringYouCanDoIt.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Dudess wrote: »
    Usually someone who's jealous and bitter they're not a mod (yep, there are people ACTUALLY jealous and bitter about not being mods). People who are asked to moderate tend not to bitch non stop about what kunts mods are, hence making them less likely to have wanted to be moderators in the first place - but they accept with a bit of encouragement.

:confused:

You aren't really a mod though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I am when people want to have a go at mods... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Long Term Illness: I proposed the forum
    Radio: Existing mods invited me cause I was reporting loads of posts
    Boardscasts: When we started podcasting, Vexorg gave us the forum and just made all of us mods
    Thunderdome: was modless for ages, but during discussion of the 'dome, I said I'd help out if they needed a mod and they called my bluff
    Men's Health: Existing mod was stepping down, I said I'd help out if needed as it's quite similar to LTI.

As a matter of fact, I think that a mod can post less in their own forum, rather than more, than a non-mod of the forum. It doesn't really happen a lot to me, but sometimes you'd be in an interesting exchange with someone, and you have to step off because you're a mod, and you don't want to be seen to be abusing your position. It's can be quite difficult, especially when you have to infract/warn/ban posters you like and respect, be they mod or non-mod. And, again this doesn't happen too often to me (because of the forums I mod, not cause I'm super-nice), it's poxy when you get a snotty comment or PM, and it's difficult not to question yourself or take it personally. Difficult, but not impossible ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

For non mods you have to be an the outstanding candidate from the forum. For mods you just say, ah Mythology, how bad could it be in a certain thread and hey presto

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Kiera wrote: »
    You used to have to do the AMP test but now that he's no longer with us i think e-head is how you get it now.....
    It musn't be that hard to become a mod if this one managed it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

It musn't be that hard to become a mod if this one managed it. :D
    Meow! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There is a difference between being a Hmod and a mod.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Thaedydal wrote: »
    There is a difference between being a Hmod and a mod.
    You forgot the :pac: attack

Hehehe.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

seamus wrote: »
    I'm not going to pull any punches here: It's a meritocracy. This is the God's honest truth because there seems to be some mysticism about the whole thing.

When the need for a new mod arises, generally we rely on the outgoing moderator and/or their co-mods to come up with a list of possible replacements. Often the suggestions will be existing moderators but just as often they will be active posters that the moderator(s) has noticed to be a good solid poster on that forum with a level head.

Yes we do tend towards giving it to an existing mod, purely because they're known quantities, but we're not specifically loath to give it to non-mods. In fact loads of brand shiny new mods have been appointed recently.

Where a new forum has been created, we'll often appoint an existing moderator with an interest in that area and/or often a non-mod who has shown a significant interest in getting the forum set up.

Yes, your past conduct on the site may count against you. Known muppets are unlikely to be made into moderators. A number of "reformed" muppets have become moderators.

No, it's not perfect. Mistakes have been made and rectified.

We don't fill out a "Moderator Suitability Form", the moderators in question just use their judgement to say "Yay" or "Nay".

It most certainly can be done the way seamus says above.
    Or
    You can send me a case of fine wines (red only please, must be aged in oak for at least a year) and I'll make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Or
    Two bottles of Blue Nun and 20 Major and I'll make it happen.

FYP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

FYP.

this saves the need for an "How to become an EX-mod" thread :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Or
    You can send me a case of fine wines (red only please, must be aged in oak for at least a year) and I'll make it happen.

Or C) you can receive a PM from Beruthiel asking if you'd consider modding a forum and fear prevents you from saying no. :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Tom Dunne, I can easily change your nickname to Blue Nun, it takes only 10 seconds.

You're right tbh, he's sooo gone!
    Zaph wrote: »
    Or C) you can receive a PM from Beruthiel asking if you'd consider modding a forum and fear prevents you from saying no. :D

Not everyone is a scaredy cat like you Zaph. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

seamus wrote: »
    +1

Getting sitebanned consistantly in the past does not mean that you cannot be a Mod if you behave yourself in the future, one could become a Smod even, it has happened. It's all how you behave with the forum users and to the site as a whole, in my opinion. And your co-mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I still have no idea how I was made mod, the forums just kinda show up under my name and then they disappear again after a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

It's a case of don't call us, we'll call you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Rabies wrote: »
    You can be active in a forum with out being active.
    True, plus some forums don't actually need much intervention to run smoothly. I can think of one forum where the mod hasn't posted there in almost two years, yet there are zero problems with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Blowfish wrote: »
    True, plus some forums don't actually need much intervention to run smoothly. I can think of one forum where the mod hasn't posted there in almost two years, yet there are zero problems with it.

Different mods have different styles. Some prefer swift silent deadly and others prefer to have a constant presence. Each has their own merits and different forums require a different approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I heard on the grapevine Seamus is partial to a reach around.

The only other option would be to take out all the other competition. Bad mouth the mods of a certain forum, failing that kidnap them until they start looking for replacements. I looked into it before but the problem is that its no fun. Whats the point in kidnapping somebody when people don't notice them gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,224 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Not everyone is a scaredy cat like you Zaph. :D
    Just most of us.

I still get worried just looking your avatar in the eyes...

Advertisement