Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to become a Mod

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Beruthiel wrote: »
    You really love that pic Winters.
    And why shouldn't he? Pighead thinks it's a lovely picture of himself and Sparky. Tender yet strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Kiera wrote: »
    How you gonna mod a forum you're banned from? :confused:

Details, minor details..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yeah cos no one get banned from a forum and get made a mod of it before the weeks ban is up..................................................................

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Yeah cos no one get banned from a forum and get made a mod of it before the weeks ban is up..................................................................

I see what you did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I got banned from T&L was I was waiting to be made mod.

Fun times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Max Factor

janeybabe wrote: »
    I got banned from T&L was I was waiting to be made mod.

Fun times.

For real.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Max Factor wrote: »
    For real.

Meh it was a joke ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Winters wrote: »
    1500270071_69b6f6d1c1.jpg

The fanboy in me despairs at this.:( Batman should have stayed away from Dick.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Dudess wrote: »
    OP, why are you so anxious to become a mod?

Moderators usually/somtimes/often say that they Mod so that they can "give back to the site" ergo Moderating is volunteering. Some people like volunteering ergo sometimes people say "hey, I can help out and Moderate" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I don't see why asking to take on a voluntary role in a community needs to be viewed with such suspicion.

Such a mindset originated with that overworked, convoluted and subsequently cliched "amp test". Out of respect for DeV (who posted on the matter recently) , I won't expand on what I think of *him*.

Anyway, point being, if someone asks for the right reasons, why not entertain them? We all had less than four stars once, and some of us went back to being regular users out of choice (more and more lately, it seems). It doesn't mean that all regular users need to apply a policy of tacit and studious good behaviour to be considered, surely?

I mean, given recent changes to the site (welcome CommMans!), I might consider modding again in the future. Should I (or anyone else) have to wait to be approached, or should we be free to tap a CommMan/Admin on the shoulder and point out a vacancy?

Incidentally, posting images as responses (particularly ones that link directly to one's hosting site) ad infinitum. Kinda lazy/unimaginative, no?

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Here's the big dirty secret..... people have approached me and asked to be mod of a forum and because of the way that they asked (ie: with what seemed like genuine ideas and with the good of the community in mind) and I made them mod.

From now on I'm just going to say "no, you arent mod material" and leave it at that, if thats what I feel. I'm sorry, but there are plenty of users I really really like, but I wouldnt make them mod in a million years.

Being a good user and being a good mod are two completely different "skills".

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

By the way... consider this:

Mods can forum-ban users, ok. Mods can see reported posts and remove them. Ummm... I'm struggling to think of more forum-related "powers".

So, if you really do have a deep interest in a forum, why not organise something on it. Contribute and maybe organise something. Get stuck in, you dont have to be a mod to do that. Pretty sharply someone would swing by and say "that person seems committed to giving back" but if they dont, so what. If you are really interested in growing that forum then so what if you arent mod.

If you arent interested in that, why the hell should you be made mod? Just for the badge? Trust me, its not all that much fun and the coke and hookers is a lie. :)

DeV.

All true. I feel that a more honest approach to refusing would be mods is no harm at all.

There's a case to be made actually for formalising a selection process for moderators.

[Warning, rambling afoot].

Boards is a little anomalous too, in that moderators and moderation here receive a disproportionate amount of attention*. Compared to other sites, at least.

One could call them mod groupies, but in many cases, they are simply users with an interest in how things operate here, or moderators who take their roles seriously. The fact that there is such a buy-in among community members is encouraging in itself, but can ultimately give rise to allegations of a hierarchy that doesn't exist such as mods receiving unfair leniency outside their own fora. (This may well happen**-but it's more down to the fact that people are mates IRL/are more au fait with behavioural boundaries on boards than due to any favouritism granted to someone because they moderate the "Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds" forum-we don't have one of those, do we?)

As a community, we do naval gaze. A lot. This is not A Bad Thing in itself, and goes back to the "buy-in" I mentioned above. I freely admit that I've gotten caught up in the past in the site and community here, and do tend to follow developments here, and adapt a deep sense of frustration when I see things happen that I feel are detrimental. I'm sure I'm not unique on that front.

(*From all sections of the community; moderators themselves are not immune from getting caught up in their role, nor are users at times slow to draw attention to a moderators status, be it to commend, or more often, to find fault with their behaviour outside their own "patch", often unfairly, but sometimes with perfectly valid reasoning.)

(**In fact, it's one of the reasons I packed up modding last time. )

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

DeVore wrote: »
    Trust me, its not all that much fun and the coke and hookers is a lie. :)
    True and untrue respectively. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    True and untrue respectively. :)

Indeed, but Jerry Flannery wearing nothing but a bottle of cola and a lascivious grin takes a bit of getting used to.

I'm still not right after it ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I think it's natural enough for posters to want to become mods. Boards is a community, or really a number of communities.

In a RL community people want to be accepted for who they are and what they do, to achieve this here they'll put some effort in.

Here on boards it may be helping a poster with some DIY advice or tips on where to pick up xyz cheaper. Becoming a mod may be looked upon as being a more important part of the community but it's probably not really. The posters (mods included, we're posters too), the general banter and help they give is more important than what the mods actually do. Mods just facilitate this important stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I was offered modship of After Hours which I initially declined due to it being... eh, After Hours. :)
    But after a bit of persuasion, I agreed to give it a go as it seemed like fun, and of course you're going to be a bit curious about how things are on the "other side" as it were. I was really nervous at the start though, and constantly asking fellow mods whether it would be ok for me to warn/infract/ban in various situations. I gave it up eventually as I felt my involvement in threads could compromise (or appear to compromise) my impartiality, and I get irked by accusations of mods abusing their positions. At least be specific about which mods instead of tarring them all with the same brush.
    And I think it's only natural to want to get involved as a moderator with a forum concerning an area of huge interest to you - so I was quick to take Alternative & Indie.

But the "power" (???)... eh, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Every day I get more powerful and its harder to contain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

6th wrote: »
    That could just all be an illusion ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

The myth is that is a big conspiracy and an illusion.

edit
    :damn you winters.
    Drunk posting takes a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

*groan*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Trust me, its not all that much fun and the coke and hookers is a lie. :)
    Trust me, he's not kidding.

(welcome to amods, Steve:))
    STFU :D

The only reason anyone should be a mod of a forum is because they have a DEMONSTRABLE interest in improving that forum.

Q.E.D.

DeV.

That's incontinence, dude ;)

The only reason anyone should be a mod of a forum is because they have a DEMONSTRABLE interest in improving that forum.

Or indeed, a demonstrable interest in the well being of the site as a whole.

Impartial mods outside of the normal forum community have regularly been appointed, hereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

aye.. Teh raw powar of awsomeness.. Can be dangerous if uncontrolled.

..thats why i bought a psp..for venting..the dog could take no more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Back seat mod to the point it's pathetic and drop numerous hints in threads Pick me! Pick me!

Worked in one case

Gazza22 relinquishes responsibility for OP taking this post to heart:P

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sadista

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Mods are only mods in the forum that they mod else were they are posters and if they troll
    they get banned like anyone else.

Yo Dawg I heard you like Mods so we put a mod in Yo mod so you can Mod while you mod!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

sadista wrote: »
    Yo Dawg I heard you like Mods so we put a mod in Yo mod so you can Mod while you mod!
    I think you're confusing us with assholes.usa.con... what you said is probably funny there. kthxbai :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

sadista wrote: »

Uh.........for shizzle?:confused:

Advertisement