Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Wireless Help

Options
  • 24-02-2009 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi,
    I just got UPC Phone and Broadband installed. I want to buy a wireless router but do I need to get a cable router with a phone-line so as to connect up the UPC phone too. So is it just a matter in buying a wireless router and just swap it with the current Scientific Atlanta Voip router? Thank u

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

veronica wrote: »
    Hi,
    I just got UPC Phone and Broadband installed. I want to buy a wireless router but do I need to get a cable router with a phone-line so as to connect up the UPC phone too. So is it just a matter in buying a wireless router and just swap it with the current Scientific Atlanta Voip router? Thank u

You need what is called a cable router. This will be connected by ethernet cable to the Scientific Atlanta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭veronica

So I get the cable router and just leave the current router and connect both together is this correct? thanks for reply

Basically yes. You connect the modem to a particular port on the wireless router which the instructons should highlight for you when you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Im in the same boat as the op. Any suggestions on routers mainly for surfing and online gaming on laptop and ps3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

dub45 wrote: »
    You need what is called a cable router.

No, he needs what is called a 'router'. Alot of routers come bundled with built in adsl modems. For cable, you just need a router.

A router will typically have a gateway port(rj-45 female). And most have 4 lan ports also. With wireless its the same only you get an antenna with it.
    Richie6904 wrote: »
    Im in the same boat as the op. Any suggestions on routers mainly for surfing and online gaming on laptop and ps3

Never play games on wireless, its terrible for it. Regardless of people saying "oh its fine for me" etc, trust me, ignorance is bliss, they dont know any better. Wired networks are the only way to go for gaming. You need a steady, consistent flow of data with as little packet interference as possible for smooth game play.

• Advertisement

red_ice wrote: »
    No, he needs what is called a 'router'. Alot of routers come bundled with built in adsl modems. For cable, you just need a router.

A router will typically have a gateway port(rj-45 female). And most have 4 lan ports also. With wireless its the same only you get an antenna with it.

Routers without adsl modems have more recently tended to be referred to as 'cable' routers to differentiate them from ones with built in dsl modems which are often referred to as 'all in ones' or gateways.

For example:

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home_wireless_cable_routers.php

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Routers without adsl modems have more recently tended to be referred to as 'cable' routers to differentiate them from ones with built in dsl modems which are often referred to as 'all in ones' or gateways.

if you want a router with a built in modem you ask for a modem router.. otherwise where i work, you get a router.

sign of the times i guess

red_ice wrote: »
    if you want a router with a built in modem you ask for a modem router.. otherwise where i work, you get a router.

sign of the times i guess

I would have thought that it would be better to ask people what type of situation they are buying the router for? As you can see from here a lot of people haven't got the foggiest notion what they are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 2micheal

I would have thought that it would be better to ask people what type of situation they are buying the router for? As you can see from here a lot of people haven't got the foggiest notion what they are looking for.
    Hi I bought a Peak Router to go with the Atlanta Modem NTL gave me but after an hour or so I start dropping the net (this page cant be found) but when I wire direct to the Modem no problem, any ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AL_otto_pain

I had problem with my original wireless router (see my thread) .

I now have Linksys WRT54GL . I have noticed no problems since then .
    Would fully recommend it
    They are available from http://www.elara.ie or http://www.komplett.ie from around €50 /€55

• Advertisement
Advertisement