Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football: Poker forum/Grosvenor Lane III - March 8th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

*Difficult to make an "I love Lucy" joke via the internet

not trying hard enough imo

ditpoker wrote: »
    not trying hard enough imo

I'm sorry Jeff. Will try harder in future.

OK Lloyd, for a start, I just asked the guy a question and I apologised (which is more than I can say for any of the Grosvenor Lane players) after the game if he took offence to me asking him to keep an eye out for the odd jersey tug. Alan decided to make a bigger deal of it as far as I could see and had his little "take my ball and go home" moment. I didn't hear any of the midfielders having a go other than Sammy asking for a free kick after the 1,000th time their full back got frustrated and hung out of him.

FWIW: I think he did a thankless job and I hope he accepted my apology as genuine. When the Grosvenor players shouted at the ref for something about 3-4 mins after I had spoken to him I made a joke about not getting on the refs case which even he laughed at (Alan didn't think it was funny mind you) and I thought the issue was put to bed. I am sorry he felt so aggrieved but it was not explained to our lads that, unlike the last few games where we had a trained referee, your mate didn't know what he was doing. I would imagine that piece of info would have altered their attitudes to the referee quite considerably.

Alan = our manager = alistair??

• Registered Users Posts: 36,324 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

Alan = our manager = alistair??

Yeah, sorry, I heard Al and assumed Alan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Lads I quite enjoyed reffing the last match, I'm sure both sides had complaints but whenever i'm subbing i'm more then happy to be running around blowing a whistle.

Yeah, sorry, I heard Al and assumed Alan

you know what the say about assumption... it makes an ass out of umption! :cool:

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    In anyway, if he wants to 'take his ball and go home' as you put it - why shouldn't he? In relation to a game like Sunday, if anyone isn't enjoying being up there they should quit.

I hope you aren't taking this personally Lloyd. I think he did a good job. I didn't know he wasn't really a ref until you posted it here.

As for the "take his ball and go home" comment, it was made with tongue-in-cheek. Alistair overreacted in my opinion and seemed to be getting very personally frustrated. I asked him if he wouldn't mind taking his watch off because it was dangerous and he ignored me. He literally would not speak to me. That is the act of a child Lloyd. Surely you cannot disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

shoutman wrote: »
    Lads I quite enjoyed reffing the last match, I'm sure both sides had complaints but whenever i'm subbing i'm more then happy to be running around blowing a whistle.

Ye you did seem to be getting your kicks out of seeing how many different types of whistle blowing there are. my favorite one was when you awarded a goal kick to us and blew about 5 or 6 times while jogging back delighted with yourself

you know what the say about assumption... it makes an ass out of umption! :cool:

And you criticised my "I Love Lucy" joke?

FWIW he seems like a top coach but a little petulant. He has you guys playing a very effective game though. It's genuinely impressive.

• Advertisement

i was going to add some sort of....
    al better than all of you! mwahahaha!
    ....type post but i could never work out which direction the arrow thingy is to point >?? <?? >??

as far as i remember it had something to do with the < greater than one eating the smaller than one... or something, like a pacman... i think im rambling...

And you criticised my "I Love Lucy" joke?

my joke > your joke :cool:

my joke > your joke :cool:

Pfffft. Not likely.

As for Al being better than all of us. Hardly. He is a decent player though. He's not a patch on Brian or Steve for starters and considering how glacially slow I am he never had me for pace or strength so that's pretty weak. His use of space and his link up play is excellent though, can't deny that, nor did I at any stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

i was going to add some sort of....
    al better than all of you! mwahahaha!
    ....type post but i could never work out which direction the arrow thingy is to point >?? <?? >??

as far as i remember it had something to do with the < greater than one eating the smaller than one... or something, like a pacman... i think im rambling...

I think this thread is rambling.

Pfffft. Not likely.

As for Al being better than all of us. Hardly. He is a decent player though. He's not a patch on Brian or Steve for starters and considering how glacially slow I am he never had me for pace or strength so that's pretty weak. His use of space and his link up play is excellent though, can't deny that, nor did I at any stage.

this is wrong
    carfax wrote: »
    I think this thread is rambling.

this is right

this is wrong

this is right

Lock it up so. Clearly not achieving anything other than giving Jeff a chance to try out his new material for the comedy circuit (don't quit the day job etc)

harsh... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

This has been a very enjoyable read for me. Last read it at like four today and it really has come along nicely unlike jeffs attempts at humour.

I think kev the ref is more annoyed at me than anybody else however if i was him and doing the match ah simple way to stop back chat and so forth is book someone he is an adult and should be able to book someone and deal with 22 men behaving like boys.

I HATE LIVERPOOL IN CHAMPIONS LEAGUE :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

I thought Jeff was very good.

Are we not playing the boxing forum soon? Or has that been cancelled. We could play the soccer forum and give them Jeff, that would make it much fairer

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭bobbyg

I thought Jeff was very good.

Are we not playing the boxing forum soon? Or has that been cancelled. We could play the soccer forum and give them Jeff, that would make it much fairer

I have been trying to organize this but it's looking a bit doubtful now as i haven't been getting too many replies. I know there are a few on the boxing forum fighting in the next week or so and they are unwilling to commit at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Chopper

Is there some money resting in someones account :P

Not enough to get me to hawaii unfortunately
    You neglected to mention the ball part too. Did we have a new ball?

Ricky, you got some splaining to do!!!*

*Difficult to make an "I love Lucy" joke via the internet

The new ball was lost after 5 minutes - it was the ball we warmed up with.

Only 10 people paid me so I actually made a loss on the match. Also when I was collecting money I was still unsure whether we were paying the ref or not.

Not enough to get me to hawaii unfortunately

The new ball was lost after 5 minutes - it was the ball we warmed up with.

Only 10 people paid me so I actually made a loss on the match. Also when I was collecting money I was still unsure whether we were paying the ref or not.

A likely story...

Pretty ghey that only ten people paid. I hope they are being added to your list of debtors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Pretty ghey that only ten people paid. I hope they are being added to your list of debtors.

think one of them was me actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

jeff, do you's want another game?

i would imagine yes... have training tonight... will run it by people.

only thing is April is going to be busy for us, midweek matches etc.

paddy's day game on grass?

Early Paddy's day game? Around 12/1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

short notice, but possibly . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 36,324 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I'd be a no unless it was closer to 5. I have to march in the parade in Balbriggan that afternoon about 2-3.

Advertisement