Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long after purchase can I return a jacket?

Options
  • 24-02-2009 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a jacket the week before Christmas and in the past three weeks or so have noticed the lining is starting to come out through the jacket. Not through rips or tears or anything but out through the material itself.

Is it too late to return to the shop with it and ask for a replacement?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

There'd be a years warranty on it probably. The restriction of a few weeks only applies if its fine but you just don't like it or something like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    There'd be a years warranty on it probably. The restriction of a few weeks only applies if its fine but you just don't like it or something like that

It's a coat jacket now - not a lagging jacket!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    It's a coat jacket now - not a lagging jacket!
    I think Sam Vines meant that if you wanted to return it due to not liking it, it's usually only a few weeks, where as if you wanted to return it as there's a manufacturing fault with it, there'll most likely be a warranty of a year or so on it.

the_syco wrote: »
    I think Sam Vines meant that if you wanted to return it due to not liking it, it's usually only a few weeks, where as if you wanted to return it as there's a manufacturing fault with it, there'll most likely be a warranty of a year or so on it.

I got that thanks. Was just being a smart ass.

I appreciate the replies guys - Luckily I don't usually have cause to return stuff so I didn't want to go in there not knowing what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I bought a jacket the week before Christmas and in the past three weeks or so have noticed the lining is starting to come out through the jacket. Not through rips or tears or anything but out through the material itself.

Is it too late to return to the shop with it and ask for a replacement?

You have the right to look for a replacement , repair or refund under The Sale of Goods and Services Act if:
    (a) the product is not fit for its purpose.
    (b) the product is not of merchantable quality.
    (c) the product is not as described.

Those are your statutory rights outside of any rights bestowed by a warranty.
    If you feel that the jacket fits into any of the above cateogories you're entitled to one the three remedies I mentioned from the retailer.You don't need to worry about time constraints in this instance if you can prove any of the above either.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "lining coming through the jacket".If it was obvious at the time of purchase you won't get a refund.If you bought a very cheap jacket and now realise the material is not of the same good quality as a more expensive jacket then your not going to get anywhere either.If you feel the problem with the jacket is a fault in it though you can go back and argue your case in accordance with your statutory rights.

• Advertisement

chilly wrote: »
    I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "lining coming through the jacket".If it was obvious at the time of purchase you won't get a refund.If you bought a very cheap jacket and now realise the material is not of the same good quality as a more expensive jacket then your not going to get anywhere either.If you feel the problem with the jacket is a fault in it though you can go back and argue your case in accordance with your statutory rights.

No it was actually pretty pricey. It's definitely a fault in the jacket, hard to explain what it is but it definitely wasn't there when I bought it.

Thanks for all the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Remember that the choice of repair, replace or refund is up to the retailer, not you.

As the jacket was bought over two months ago and has been worn I'd expect they will offer a repair.

If this repair isn't successful then you can then ask for further redress, replacement or refund.

Bear in mind you won't get very far if you start banging on about consumer rights the minute you take it back. Try and work with them first.

SSE

Advertisement