Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do you have any absolute f*****s of teachers

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

bythewoods wrote: »
    Ha, sounds a bit like my guidance teacher last year.
    She always just told me there wasn't much point going for medicine as it was too hard to get into.
    She constantly told me to drop down to ordinary level in one of my subjects to maximise my points, it's the only advise she ever gave me.
    Fair enough, that works for some people, but to be honest I didn't know which to drop down in and really wanted to do everything at higher level. She almost had me going down to OL French, which I got an A2 in in the end, even though I really didn't want to.
    Agh, Bah, etc.

Yup she seems to think im aiming way too high and not capable of doing all honours even though ive been getting As and Bs in every test in 5th and 6th year....arghhh!! And im starting to think shes on commission for everyone she puts doing a science degree!! She wants me to put it before medicine on the cao (???) and everyone whos unsure comes out of the appointment with science highlighted all over their cao book!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

My guidance counsellor suggested I apply to some senior colleges in case I didn't get 300 points in the LC for my 3rd choice... Which would have meant me going down from the mocks by over 200 points... I suppose she was just being very cautious. ;p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

my career guidance teacher...who has done nothing but advise me against doing medicine...asked me on monday how the hpat went. i said i found it hard but i have no idea how i would have done, but ill know the results in June. her reply: "ah sure, if you dont get it, what harm?!" After giving her a verrry dirty look, she said: "aw but you have your heart set on it dont you? Ah sure big deal if you dont get in" .....and walks away :mad::mad:

There might be other factors why she is advising you against doing medicine. Maybe she thinks that you do not have the right personality or mind-set to do medicine, or that you just don't have the capability to do it. Guidance Counsellors are very good at reading character and personality. She knows EXACTLY what you are like (plus she has access to all of your exam results and reports) and someday down the line you might thank her for advising you against medicine because it isn't for everyone.

On the other hand, if it is really what you want then go for it and don't let anyone tell you you can't because it is only you that will know whether you will truly like it. She is only there to give you advice and it is up to you to take that advice. At the end of the day it's your life and only you know where you want to go with it. Plus, it really isn't the end of the world if you don't get it because there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    There might be other factors why she is advising you against doing medicine. Maybe she thinks that you do not have the right personality or mind-set to do medicine, or that you just don't have the capability to do it. Guidance Counsellors are very good at reading character and personality. She knows EXACTLY what you are like (plus she has access to all of your exam results and reports) and someday down the line you might thank her for advising you against medicine because it isn't for everyone.

Shes only been in the school for a year, i only have her 1 careers class a week, she didnt know my JC results cos i had to tell her! im in a careers class with 20 fellas who are complete messers and arnt exactly aiming high so i suppose she just tarred us all with the same brush!! :(

O and the reason shes advising me against it is because in her opinion its years and years of hard work that isnt worthwhile or fulfilling, nothing specifically to do with me! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Shes only been in the school for a year, i only have her 1 careers class a week, she didnt know my JC results cos i had to tell her! im in a careers class with 20 fellas who are complete messers and arnt exactly aiming high so i suppose she just tarred us all with the same brush!! :(

Do you really expect her to know your JC results off hand?

She does have other students to deal with.

Fad wrote: »
    Do you really expect her to know your JC results off hand?

She does have other students to deal with.

No sorry didnt mean like that!! in my individual careers appointment she had written down on my form that i had a mixture from As to Ds in my junior cert ... when i had gotten all As and Bs and was the highest in the year ... not putting the blame on her for that but all she really does is put me down and tries to get it into my head that i wont get the points i need. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

No sorry didnt mean like that!! in my individual careers appointment she had written down on my form that i had a mixture from As to Ds in my junior cert ... when i had gotten all As and Bs and was the highest in the year ... not putting the blame on her for that but all she really does is put me down and tries to get it into my head that i wont get the points i need. :(

I getcha :)

Why bother with her? I appreciate you might need some advice but if none of its good advice, is there any point?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Our school is divided. We have one of the best science teachers in the country ( like he teaches other science and physics teachers at those training days) and amazing irish teachers.

To make up for it, we have a Music teacher who is so bad she's legendary around the three adjoining counties.

And French Teacher who spoon-feeds us blocks but didnt teach us anything about making sentences until the friday before the mocks. I kid you not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭kevogy

our poetry teacher is so bad the school had to hold secret, after school poetry classes so we wouldnt all fail. they even had to call back a retired teacher to do it

• Advertisement

Poetry classes? What is that all about.

OK, I didn't know what your guidance counsellor was like when I posted but the second paragraph of my post (which you conveniently didn't quote) still holds.

On the other hand, if it is really what you want then go for it and don't let anyone tell you you can't because it is only you that will know whether you will truly like it. She is only there to give you advice and it is up to you to take that advice. At the end of the day it's your life and only you know where you want to go with it. Plus, it really isn't the end of the world if you don't get it because there is more than one way to skin a cat.
    OK, I didn't know what your guidance counsellor was like when I posted but the second paragraph of my post (which you conveniently didn't quote) still holds.

Sorry...i do appreciate that advice :D:D thanks!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

kevogy wrote: »
    our poetry teacher is so bad the school had to hold secret, after school poetry classes so we wouldnt all fail. they even had to call back a retired teacher to do it

complain to your parents. schools cant actually get rid of a teacher unless a parent complains to the school, so a student would have to complain to their parents first.

if your teacher is as bad as you say, i say get rid of him/her

Advertisement