Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plassey Village

Options
  • 24-02-2009 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

A
    I hope to go to UL next year, and am currently considering on campus accomodation, just have a few Qs

are the houses nice? Are you in a 8 room or 4 room house? What are they like? What are the shared bathrooms like? Also did you move in with randomners or friends?

I saw the thread about where do you live - reviews but would prefer to start a new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

I think I'm the resident Plassey expert here...

I've lived in 8 and 4 bedroom houses. Have to say that the best times have been in 8 bed houses. 4 bed houses would be in better condition though, as its usually either 4th years or postgrads that go in those houses. 8 bed houses nd 4 bed houses have the same sized kitchen/living areas. That also means that a fridge that does 4 also has to cope with the needs of 8 people; same goes for the freezers. There are more cupboards in an 8 bed kitchen, but that's about it.

The application forms have a section where you can name friends and the staff will do their best to put you together. As a first year, living with "randomers" is, I think, a better idea, as you get to make friends quicker that way. And, seeing as you're from Dublin, for the first time you'll be in a minority. I think there's about 4 Dubs here in Plassey at the moment.

The bedrooms have a single bed with storage underneath, a desk with shelves and drawers, a wardrobe and a sink. Broadband internet comes as part of the accomodation fee, as does electricity, heating and bins.

The bathrooms...well, theres a shower, sink and toilet. Are you expecting a jacuzzi on top of that? If you want fancy accomodation, try Drumroe, Cappa or Thomond.

The bus stops across the road, campus is 5-10 mins walk, there's an off-licence 5 mins max walk away and next door is a Spar and a Chinese, along with an ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i never lived in plassey but iv been there a bit and while kilmurry is not massively better i do think its worth the extra money for kilmurry

even if its just because you ahve a 50-50 chance of getting a double bed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 GMFF

I put Cappavilla down first on the form. Should be interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

klong wrote: »
    I think I'm the resident Plassey expert here...

I've lived in 8 and 4 bedroom houses. Have to say that the best times have been in 8 bed houses. 4 bed houses would be in better condition though, as its usually either 4th years or postgrads that go in those houses. 8 bed houses nd 4 bed houses have the same sized kitchen/living areas. That also means that a fridge that does 4 also has to cope with the needs of 8 people; same goes for the freezers. There are more cupboards in an 8 bed kitchen, but that's about it.

The application forms have a section where you can name friends and the staff will do their best to put you together. As a first year, living with "randomers" is, I think, a better idea, as you get to make friends quicker that way. And, seeing as you're from Dublin, for the first time you'll be in a minority. I think there's about 4 Dubs here in Plassey at the moment.

The bedrooms have a single bed with storage underneath, a desk with shelves and drawers, a wardrobe and a sink. Broadband internet comes as part of the accomodation fee, as does electricity, heating and bins.

The bathrooms...well, theres a shower, sink and toilet. Are you expecting a jacuzzi on top of that? If you want fancy accomodation, try Drumroe, Cappa or Thomond.

The bus stops across the road, campus is 5-10 mins walk, there's an off-licence 5 mins max walk away and next door is a Spar and a Chinese, along with an ATM.

In the 8 bedroom house theres 2 bathrooms right? With a shower and toilet in each?

Swizz wrote: »
    In the 8 bedroom house theres 2 bathrooms right? With a shower and toilet in each?

correct

• Advertisement

GMFF wrote: »
    I put Cappavilla down first on the form. Should be interesting!

first years are guaranteed on campus accomodation and i havnt heard of any first year who got the form in on time that didnt get their first choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 GMFF

PeakOutput wrote: »
    first years are guaranteed on campus accomodation and i havnt heard of any first year who got the form in on time that didnt get their first choice
    Than I'm sorted ;)

I should add that of the 424 beds in Plassey, there's something like 200-240 1st years, along with 50 or so Americans and some other odds and sods. A good place to get to know other first years, then.

Do Thomond, Drumroe and CappaVilla have a shower and toilet in each bedroom?

Yes

edited to add: a bit of searching the UL website wouldn't have gone astray, you know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

If you really like your comforts go for either Cappavilla or off campus Courtyard student village.

If your a 1st year in the courtyard its preety cool because there's only like 20 of us and we all know each other so well.

Cheers, just dont like sharing toilets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭SmellySockies

I applied for thomond the day I got my cao offer so it obviously shows how easy it is to get accomodation on campus in first year.

klong wrote: »
    Yes

edited to add: a bit of searching the UL website wouldn't have gone astray, you know...

I did just want comfirmation, all it said was "rooms with ensuite facilities for privacy" or something along them lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

I did just want comfirmation, all it said was "rooms with ensuite facilities for privacy" or something along them lines.

An ensuite generally means you get your own head.....just like a sea captain http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_(watercraft)

rmacm wrote: »
    An ensuite generally means you get your own head.....just like a sea captain http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_(watercraft)

Head??? What???? :confused:
    Sorry for being a complete retard but could you explain?
    By ensuite do they not mean you have your own small bathroom adjacent to your bedroom

Head??? What???? :confused:
    Sorry for being a complete retard but could you explain?
    By ensuite do they not mean you have your own small bathroom adjacent to your bedroom

Read the link and all will become clear....I hope.

Are you in UL?
    I just wanted to know as I said earlier
    Do Thomond, Drumroe and CappaVilla have a shower and toilet in each bedroom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

poster has a point rory, you completely missed the crux of the post you quoted while trying hard to be edumacted.

and also as pete just pointed out, trying to be funny with a head joke.

Are you in UL?
    I just wanted to know as I said earlier

Used to be in UL....finished a while now.

To answer your question a/the head is a bathroom on a ship. I just like to refer to the jacx as the head because it amuses me. If I remember correctly Drumroe has a shower, sink and jacx in the ensuite and I'm pretty sure Thomond and Cappavilla are the same.
    kaimera wrote: »
    poster has a point rory, you completely missed the crux of the post you quoted while trying hard to be edumacted.

I didn't miss the crux of anything and I wasn't trying to be edumacated.
    and also as pete just pointed out, trying to be funny with a head joke.

The first post was supposed to be funny the 2nd one wasn't. Meh might aswell get the fail out of my system before tomorrow anyway.

• Advertisement

Used to be in UL....finished a while now.

To answer your question a/the head is a bathroom on a ship. I just like to refer to the jacx as the head because it amuses me. If I remember correctly Drumroe has a shower, sink and jacx in the ensuite and I'm pretty sure Thomond and Cappavilla are the same.

I didn't miss the crux of anything and I wasn't trying to be edumacated.

The first post was supposed to be funny the 2nd one wasn't. Meh might aswell get the fail out of my system before tomorrow anyway.
    still didn't answer the question tho

"Do Thomond, Drumroe and CappaVilla have a shower and toilet in each bedroom?"

regardless of what head you meant, an alternate definition of en suite doesn't help now does it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

still didn't answer the question tho

"Do Thomond, Drumroe and CappaVilla have a shower and toilet in each bedroom?"

regardless of what head you meant, an alternate definition of en suite doesn't help now does it? :)

Yes.

ergonomics wrote: »
    Yes.
    :)

see, no messing about. danke aoife2 ;)

no thanks necessary swizz ;)

What Campus is nearest UL??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Really depends on where you are.

College court if your mostly by schumann and kemmy.
    Dromroe if you in the main building and most places really.
    Kilmurry is your in the sports building.
    Cappavilla if your in the health science building.

Dromroe is your safest bet by far though, the campus is on your doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

What Campus is nearest UL??
    I popped an answer after the same question you asked here. Asking a question in one place is generally better for you (you only get an answer in one place) and better for everyone else (the board doesn't get questions cross-posted across unrelated threads).

As 1huge1 said Drumroe is the pretty much closest to everything. I.e. if you have a lecture at 09:00 you could probably roll out of bed at 08:50 and still be on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

if you have a lecture at 09:00 you could probably roll out of bed at 08:50 and still be on time.

Many of my 09:00 tutorials in the Schuman were gotten to after waking up at 08:55!

(Yes, I realise that is a shock to some, for not too obvious reasons...)

• Advertisement

Whats closer to the main buildings, Thomond or Cappavilla?

Advertisement