Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gronholm to enter Rally Portugal in an impreza

• 24-02-2009 7:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭

seen this on crash.net

Marcus Gronholm is to come out of retirement following the announcement that the two-time World Rally Champion will take part in the fourth round of the 2009 season in Portugal.

The Finn, who retired from the WRC at the end of the 2007 season, had been linked to a possible return to the series this season with Subaru before the Japanese manufacturer elected to pull out of the sport.

However, he will now get the chance to compete in the Impreza WRC2008 after agreeing a deal with Prodrive to contest the Portuguese event.

“Prodrive approached and offered me a chance to compete in Portugal with the Subaru Impreza WRC2008 rally car,” Gronholm said. “After having a test in Norway, I decided to take the challenge.”

Gronholm added however that his decision to compete in Portugal wasn't a sign that he planned to return to the series on a full-time basis – although he will consider his feelings after the event.

“When I made a decision to retire from the WRC, I didn't say never to coming back,” he said. “However WRC Portugal is just a single event and nothing more. After the rally I have to analyze my feelings and to see what happens next.

“It will be fun to return, even in an ad-hoc way, in a car that I don't know at all and after a year where I competed in some rallycross events. It will be nice, as there was a chance of driving for Subaru just before the manufacturer decided to retire.”

Prodrive director Richard Taylor meanwhile said that talks with Gronholm had been ongoing for some time and hadn't been halted by Subaru's WRC withdrawal.

“It's no secret that we were talking with Marcus at the end of last year,” he told the official series website. “He had some interest in coming back so we kept the discussions going and we've reached an agreement to go to Portugal. It's a one-off at this time but we'll see if he likes it.

“We have to allow for the fact that we're not able to homologate the 2009 car fully, but we'll put together the best spec of car that we possibly can.”

Gronholm's car will be an evolution of the one used by Petter Solberg and Chris Atkinson last year.

Advertisement