Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Dane advice

Options
  • 24-02-2009 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

I may be getting a Great Dane puppy during the summer. I already own a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who is 2 years old. I'm just wondering if anyone here has any advice or guidance on owning such a large dog? I would really love to have one but not if I couldn't offer it a great life.
    I'm aware of the main health problems (bloat, hip dysplasia etc) but am just looking for advice on kind of day to day care of a Great Dane (feeding, exercise etc...)
    My back garden is about 20 x 25ft with a 6ft wall surrounding it. There's also a single car garage at the back of the garden which we could convert into kennel type building that the Dane could have access to when in the garden. I live about 5 mins walk from the Phoenix Park where I walk my cav every day so that's where I'd take the Dane too. The max amount of time the dogs would be on their own would be about 4 hours no more than 3 weekdays due to the way my fiance and I work.
    Does this sound okay?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 greatdane

hello,

i have a great dane and they are amazing dogs...
    Things you should know.

these dogs need to be with people...they need to be around you in the house when you are home, always... they need heat and comfort...
    Mine take over the couch and will try to sit on you if you sit down anywhere.

They like to run , and chase small animlas, like rabbits, birds etc. well mine does anyway.

You need to provide good quality food, at a good level so the dog is not bending to far down.

To be honest they are quite easy to keep once you walk and treat them like a member of family.

There should be no probs with a smaller dog in the house either..

Ive had lots of dogs and the dane is the most rewarding.

except i had to buy a bigger car, more food, bigger vet bills, larger sofa :)

pm me if you have any other questions.

Advertisement