Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First c&c

• 24-02-2009 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭

Got my first camera(fugi s1000fd) and taking some pictures, trying out some settings. Just looking for any criticism for editing or whatever.
    local art.
    B940F65F0D354DFA83DAF6E03F5202CA-800.jpg
    macro, just noticed shadow of my head, I'll crop it
    CE6C9388CBD042B3BECA959F4273E489-800.jpg
    macro playing with editing, maybe too yellow?
    6D87D2EA1DC24AF5A58C4D9B04CA8BA2-800.jpg
    Thanks
    http://pix.ie/seamus-

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

1st one is nice

2nd one.. im not liking the orangeness(cant be helped without proper lighting I dont think) & that shadow but the picture/idea itself is pretty nice..

Can't say much for the 3rd one im afraid..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Hi Seamus - welcome and well done on your first for C&C,

A few ideas / thoughts spring to mind;

#1 Is not bad at all. The structure in the middle of the image is a bit misleading. You would think it was actually two images stitched but from a closer view on pix.ie it looks like a concrete structure. Also the left/right of the image has different contrast again which leads you to think it may be a stitch. One suggestion is to think about the more unusual angle. For example why not get up nice and close to the wall and shoot down the length of it. The point is that anyone will look at a wall flat on (and sometimes it's just that which you want to capture) but the more unusual and possibly more interesting is when you as a photographer considers the different angles and selects the killer one.

#2 I like - ok as pointed out the colour cast is rough on it. I'd suggest experimenting with lightsources. Some of those 'soft lights' that all of us have in our houses are woeful for photographing anything under. Have you experimented with white balance at all ? Its good to get an understanding of it and see how to controll it, custom white balance if your camera supports it, or in post processing. Also as a semi product / macro shot, I think a totally plain background would be more appropriate on this occasion - left and right of the image is somewhat distracting. Is the black surround its case?

#3 is very unusual colouring - i'm not sure if i like it though. The image itself technically is quite noisey / grainy - this may be indicative of the camera capabilities at higher ISO, mind you - you've shot it at 800 which isn't terribly high. The exif indicates that you were shooting without flash so i presume you steadied your camera on something? If so, and your subject isn't going to get up and run away, you can force your ISO to a lower value and accept that it will have a longer exposure. I've sometimes opted for exposures of up to a minute to gain lower ISO's. This is fine when you are in control of your environment but should be ok for the type of shot you have posted.

Public Health Warning: All the above is only an opinion so take with caution!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭seamus-2k7

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Hi Seamus - welcome and well done on your first for C&C,

A few ideas / thoughts spring to mind;

#1 Is not bad at all. The structure in the middle of the image is a bit misleading. You would think it was actually two images stitched but from a closer view on pix.ie it looks like a concrete structure. Also the left/right of the image has different contrast again which leads you to think it may be a stitch. One suggestion is to think about the more unusual angle. For example why not get up nice and close to the wall and shoot down the length of it. The point is that anyone will look at a wall flat on (and sometimes it's just that which you want to capture) but the more unusual and possibly more interesting is when you as a photographer considers the different angles and selects the killer one.

#2 I like - ok as pointed out the colour cast is rough on it. I'd suggest experimenting with lightsources. Some of those 'soft lights' that all of us have in our houses are woeful for photographing anything under. Have you experimented with white balance at all ? Its good to get an understanding of it and see how to controll it, custom white balance if your camera supports it, or in post processing. Also as a semi product / macro shot, I think a totally plain background would be more appropriate on this occasion - left and right of the image is somewhat distracting. Is the black surround its case?

#3 is very unusual colouring - i'm not sure if i like it though. The image itself technically is quite noisey / grainy - this may be indicative of the camera capabilities at higher ISO, mind you - you've shot it at 800 which isn't terribly high. The exif indicates that you were shooting without flash so i presume you steadied your camera on something? If so, and your subject isn't going to get up and run away, you can force your ISO to a lower value and accept that it will have a longer exposure. I've sometimes opted for exposures of up to a minute to gain lower ISO's. This is fine when you are in control of your environment but should be ok for the type of shot you have posted.

Public Health Warning: All the above is only an opinion so take with caution!
    Thanks blackcat

Well as for the stitching, it was a panoramic picture and it might be the joining part of the pictures? but i suppose you guessed that. I'll try some more creative shots.

I agree totally here, at the time i was just messing about with the camera when i got it, i wasn't really putting much thought into it but I'll keep that in mind. What is the white balance? I don't think I spotted it on my camera. I'll try it in processing maybe. Yep that's the case.

No, i was just holding it but i spent ages messing with it in processing.

Thanks for the input I'll definitely try improve on it.

Advertisement