Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching in australia

Options
  • 24-02-2009 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I am a secondary school teacher covering maternity leave at the moment in dublin and finishing up in May. I am hoping to get the working holiday visa and head away in the summer to oz. Does anyone know the state of teaching over there at the moment and how I go about applying? I would be happy to even get sub work there but I dont know where to start or look. I have heard there is a lot of paper work to get through. I am hoping to head to sydney. Does anyone have any info on sub/relief teaching work there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Lou there's a process you need to go through to ensure you CAN work as a teacher over here. I would be surprised if the extent of the clearance you need would marry in with a WHV. My mother in law does relief teaching in secondary schools over here as well as being a university tutor. She had to get police checks done, submit the extent of her work experience to a central body and essentially come out with something that said she was now allowed look for work. Apologies for not being more clear on that - I was aware of the process as she went through it, but not paying attention.

If I were you, I would start by googling teacher's organisations in whatever state you believe you'll be spending most time, and getting clarification from them. The rules about what you need may differ between states.

Relief teachers are in high demand in rural areas - and by 'rural' I mean within an hour's drive of the city mostly. Australia is a very city-centric place! Relief teaching mostly means sitting with a bunch of teenagers while their teacher is sick, and they do the work that's been left to them.

They're a difficult bunch, by all accounts, plus most of the schools are mixed gender so you have to deal with girls AND boys and all the shenanigans they get up to, especially when their usual teacher is off so they think they can mess.

The pay appears reasonable - it seems to sit around a couple of hundred bucks a day depending where you end up.

So to answer your question, yes there is work, but whether you could do it on a WHV, you'll have to look into that directly with the government agencies and authorities directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lou1983

Many thanks for your reply. I have heard of people getting relief work on the WHV alright as i would only be working from aug- dec anyway im hoping i should get some work here and there in various schools...

Do you think I would have more of a chance of employment if i tried to get a skilled visa? The main thing stopping me there is the expense 3k or something ridiculous...im aware i prob wont get any contract work but even a few days subbing here and there i would be happy with.

Do you mean police checks here or while over there? to register here i had to get a clearance so im pretty familiar with that...i wonder if i google teaching council sydney...many thanks for your help anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

lou1983 wrote: »
    Many thanks for your reply. I have heard of people getting relief work on the WHV alright as i would only be working from aug- dec anyway im hoping i should get some work here and there in various schools...

Do you think I would have more of a chance of employment if i tried to get a skilled visa? The main thing stopping me there is the expense 3k or something ridiculous...im aware i prob wont get any contract work but even a few days subbing here and there i would be happy with.

Do you mean police checks here or while over there? to register here i had to get a clearance so im pretty familiar with that...i wonder if i google teaching council sydney...many thanks for your help anyway!

Not in the teaching field but here is the main website you need to look at
    http://www.teachingaustralia.edu.au/ta/go/home

regarding the skilled visa...you bet you would have an infinitely better chance to score a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Coolio

I was over there a couple of years back and got sub work in Melbourne (Northcote High School) easily on a working hoilday visa. I registered with the teaching council before coming over from NZ where I had a 6 month contract in a school in Auckland. No hassle from my point of view but maybe it has tightened up since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭Land Of Idiots

I was over there last year on WHV and did some subbing in primary schools in Sydney and surrounding areas. The registration process takes about 6 weeks so it's probably best to get that sorted before going. Check out https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/employment/teachnsw/existing.htm
    I also signed up with a recruitment agency for childcare and education in Sydney and so was able to get a good bit of work through them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Tea Leaf

Hi there. You'll always be able to get a job as a teacher in Australia as it is not a respected profession. In addition, the teachers' unions are fighting for a 19% wage increase at present which means that you're in with a fine chance of flyin' it in with regards to getting a job that you want.

Just be aware that the rules have changed recently. However, be aware that for tax purposes, you'd be classed as an Australian resident if in possession of a working visa.

The best place to commence your online application would be here:

https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/employment/teachnsw/ukteach/iatinsw.htm

Bear in mind there is no national accreditation 'ticket' as such so if you decide to move to another State or Territory, you may have to undergo further accreditation processes in order to teach there.

I know, I know, it's a crock but then again, so is spending four years at uni to be able to teach kids.

Advertisement