Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

********** How can we improve Mobiles & PDAs? **********

• 24-02-2009 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Right folks ... it's your turn to have your say.

We don't want this thread to turn into a complete bitching session. We don't want it to turn into one user giving out about another. We don't want you to single out a user or a mod you don't like.

We want to know what we can do to make this forum better for everyone. What do you like? what do you not like? what could we do more of?

All thoughts welcomed. We'll let the thread run for a while and then the mods will sit back and have a look through it and see what we can get from it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Its not a bitching session but really something needs to be done about all the iphone threads that keep coming up, a sub forum at least.... I know we keep saying it but if we don't say it to you then who do we suggest it to?

Other than that I'm happy:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Random wrote: »
    Right folks ... it's your turn to have your say.

We don't want this thread to turn into a complete bitching session. We don't want it to turn into one user giving out about another. We don't want you to single out a user or a mod you don't like.

We want to know what we can do to make this forum better for everyone. What do you like? what do you not like? what could we do more of?

All thoughts welcomed. We'll let the thread run for a while and then the mods will sit back and have a look through it and see what we can get from it.

Thanks

Hi

Break it into sections:

By network provider etc,

I Phone,

New & upcoming phones,

New Tariffs / deals,

PAYG / Billpay etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Random, there are a huge amount of iPhone threads in here and if a separate forum is not possible, then one or more additional stickies are needed to deal with the same questions that keep coming up over and over.

The use of data in most phones these days causes a lot of discussion...a section on that that would be useful.

Considers the heading "Mobiles & PDAs"...is it still the right one? Do so called "Smartphones" etc need to be considered

Is there any interaction between this forum and the "Midband" forum...3G on phones is midband is it not....

Overall I'd say that some further sub-forums are needed along the lines indicated by others on this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I should probably add that the mods aren't gonna get involved in this thread as mods until it's run it's course. We want the feedback from all the users before we sit back and try and make some positive changes based on it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Improve Mobiles & PDA?

Ban drunkmonkey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Random wrote: »
    jmccrohan wrote: »
    Improve Mobiles & PDA?

Ban drunkmonkey.

tut tut tut :pac:

Would like to see the iPhone going to its own sub-forum also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Improve Mobiles & PDA?

Ban drunkmonkey.

Please keep the posts relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

I'd like to see a new unlocking Q's thread. The current one is over 5 years old. People are always asking the same questions over and over again, most posters are too lazy to search the thread because it's so long.

A new thread with updated information in the very first post should be implemented, this thread should also link to the old unlocking Q's thread, so posters can search it first before they ask a question which may have been asked before.

I'd be more than happy to provide updates for the thread so that a mod can edit the first post with the latest information on unlocking mobile phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i still think the settings sticky needs work. there's a lot of information there for how to set up email and older handsets, stuff that almost no one needs but they don't know they don't need it and so don't know what to look for. it can be quite difficult to follow

something like this would be better:
    http://powermyphone.com/gprsmms.php
    written by me of course :D
    straight and to the point with guides for how to enter the settings. btw Random, you should add the below to that page. it's how to set up vodafone isp on an S40 nokia that i'm always asked

settings->configuration->personal configuration settings->add->access point

account name: vodafone isp apn
    go into access point settings
    data bearer:gprs
    go into bearer settings
    GPRS access point:isp.vodafone.ie
    authentication type:normal
    username:vodafone
    password:vodafone

settings->configuration->personal configuration settings
    highlight vodafone isp apn and press options->activate

settings->configuration->activate default in all applications->yes

then if you want your browser to use isp as well as java apps:
    settings->configuration->personal configuration settings->add->web
    account name: vodafone isp
    homepage:http://google.ie/pda
    username:vodafone
    password:vodafone
    use preferred access point:yes

settings->configuration->default configuration settings
    highlight vodafone isp and press options->set as default
    settings->configuration->activate default in all applications->yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

If required, I can provide the handset APN settings for the following versions of Windows Mobile handsets:

- Windows Mobile 2003 SE Smartphone
    - Windows Mobile 2003 SE Pocket PC Phone Edition
    - Windows Mobile 5 Smartphone
    - Windows Mobile 5 Pocket PC Phone Edition
    - Windows Mobile 6 Standard
    - Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Sticky for what phone should I get and another for all things iphone - that really seems to be cover most of the threads around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Again to reiterate much of the above, an iPhone subforum would really clear up the Mobiles & PDA forum IMO. Other than that, I'd agree that a new unlocking thread would probably not go amiss.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

besty wrote: »
    Again to reiterate much of the above, an iPhone subforum would really clear up the Mobiles & PDA forum IMO.

Have to agree with this one - it seems to be the easiest way to tidy things up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

An iPhone sub Forum.

Seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

I think everyone who uses this forum on a regular basis will agree an iphone sub forum is needed. Also sub forums per network would be good IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I know the moderators said we would keep out of this discussion, and we are, but to those of you requesting an iPhone forum, I draw your attention to the link in my signature. :)

That's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

For sure an Iphone subforum.

Maybe a good idea will be subforums per brand (5 top brands) or a sticky with the FAQ by brand.

As mention by gpjordanf1 with separate sections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I think an iPhone sub-forum would be a mistake, to be honest. As most people probably would agree, the iPhone questions are the same ones, over and over. A sticky would cover most of them and would cut down on the amount of posts.
    If the iPhone gets it's own forum, it's just going to be swamped by the same repeated posts and there could be very little in the way of meaningful content.
    Also, breaking this forum into sub fora to cover many flavours of provider and/or brand plus other topics could get very messy. I also read the games forum and that's a pain in the rear to navigate as there are half a million sub fora in there. Maybe an initial breakdown by network provider or the more popular brands but I'd stop short of separate fora for new phones/tarriffs/deals/etc.

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    I think an iPhone sub-forum would be a mistake, to be honest. As most people probably would agree, the iPhone questions are the same ones, over and over. A sticky would cover most of them and would cut down on the amount of posts.
    If the iPhone gets it's own forum, it's just going to be swamped by the same repeated posts and there could be very little in the way of meaningful content.
    Also, breaking this forum into sub fora to cover many flavours of provider and/or brand plus other topics could get very messy. I also read the games forum and that's a pain in the rear to navigate as there are half a million sub fora in there. Maybe an initial breakdown by network provider or the more popular brands but I'd stop short of separate fora for new phones/tarriffs/deals/etc.
    If it were in a sticky- which I dont mind ,if anyone decided they were lazy enough not to read it and open a thread with an already answered question in the sticky, the OP should be whacked with a ban, thats the reason that theres so many different threads, people are too lazy to look for the answer!just my opinon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    If it were in a sticky- which I dont mind ,if anyone decided they were lazy enough not to read it and open a thread with an already answered question in the sticky, the OP should be whacked with a ban, thats the reason that theres so many different threads, people are too lazy to look for the answer!just my opinon

this is true. there is already iphone information in one of the stickies:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58418545&postcount=2
    but people still post asking the same questions. at least with its own forum i wouldn't have to look at them :D

and it'd make them easier to search because they wouldn't be mixed in with non-iphone threads and the non-iphone threads wouldn't be swamped any more

iphone forum ftw.

and make sure Random is the main mod of it. he loves iphones :P

• Advertisement

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    this is true. there is already iphone information in one of the stickies:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58418545&postcount=2
    but people still post asking the same questions. at least with its own forum i wouldn't have to look at them :D

and it'd make them easier to search because they wouldn't be mixed in with non-iphone threads and the non-iphone threads wouldn't be swamped any more

iphone forum ftw.

and make sure Random is the main mod of it. he loves iphones :P
    OK I'm back on the idea of a iphone forum ha, I'd never make a good mod anyway, I'd smack people with a ban for not bothering to read through the forum for their answers and creating a new thread. Iphone forum FTW!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    The unlocking thread has that problem. The same questions are asked over and over again, I'd say for every question asked on it there are 10 answers to that question already posted...

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    at least with its own forum i wouldn't have to look at them :D

Sounds good to me :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Whether there's a forum split or not, there will probably be changed or additional stickies. +1 to the idea of a ban to anyone who doesn't search for an answer themselves before posting a question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

What about a dedicated user review threads.
    Maybe with a [Review] tag so you can easily search for them ?

Handsets, software, peripherals.
    Not network operators !
    With no back and forth maybe, just how you've found the item as a user.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭TheAlmightyZeus

iPhone subforum gets a thumbs down from me. I dont see it making things any easier other than the mess of threads will have their own subforum. Giving the iPhone its own subforum isn't really dealing with the problem of the constant duplicate question threads but just moving them somewhere else. A dedicated iPhone forum is just asking for people to post their problems without searching.

If a mod could put an announcement at the top of this forum directing all posters with iPhone questions to a iPhone sticky FAQ, (every question that has ever been asked about the iPhone has to be in there!) then I think it should be sorted.

Other than that.. Annual Costume Party! Come as your favourite mobile/PDA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I agree that an iPhone sub-forum is required. I understand that there is a sticky with the answers to practically every question frequently asked, but for those who have new questions and for everything else iPhone related, a sub-forum is desperately needed.

With regard to the duplicate posts that the moderators need to close, it would be much easier to deal with these in a sub-forum and this would deal with the issue more effectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Right, so the iPhone forum has happened now (see the other sticky at the top of this forum).

Can we move toward suggestions to improve Mobiles & PDAs as a whole now without iPhone threads etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

would tags work in M&PDA?

op tags - o2/vfe/met/3 perhaps?

• Advertisement

kaimera wrote: »
    would tags work in M&PDA?

op tags - o2/vfe/met/3 perhaps?

Dont think so tbh, in bargain alerts they didn't go down very well. Doesnt seem like an advancement imo

Advertisement